Goran Paskaljević in July 2010 at the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival.
22 April 1947|
Belgrade, PR Serbia, FPR Yugoslavia
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter and producer|
Berlin Golden Bear for Best Film|
Nominated 1978 The Dog Who Loved Trains
Cannes Palme d'Or
Nominated 1985 Special Treatment
Venice Golden Lion for Best Film
Nominated 2001 How Harry Became a Tree
Festróia Golden Dolphin for Best Film
Nominated 2002 How Harry Became a Tree
San Sebastián Golden Shell for Best Film
Nominated 2004 Midwinter Night's Dream
Valladolid Golden Spike for Best Film
1995 Someone Else's America
2006 The Optimists
Pula Golden Arena for Best Director
1976 Beach Guard in Winter
1980 Special Treatment
Born in Belgrade, he was raised by his grandparents in Niš in southern Serbia, following the divorce of his parents. Fourteen years later he returned to Belgrade where he worked with his stepfather at the Yugoslav Film Archive.
Paskaljević belonged to a group of several Yugoslav filmmakers who studied abroad and graduated from the prestigious Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (FAMU). After returning to Yugoslavia, he made some 30 documentaries and 16 feature films which were screened at many international film festivals (such as Cannes, Berlin, Venice, Toronto and San Sebastian) and met with critical acclaim. The rise of nationalism during the breakup of Yugoslavia forced him to leave his country in 1992.
In 1998 he returned to Serbia to make the Powder Keg (known as Cabaret Balkan in the USA) which won the FIPRESCI prize at the Venice Film Festival and at the European Film Awards. In 2001, Variety International Film Guide marked him as one of the world's top five directors of the year. The Museum of Modern Art in New York (MoMA) presented a full retrospective of his work in January 2008. It was BFI Southbank's (London) turn to organize in July 2010 a full retrospective of his 16 feature films, along with the publication of a monograph (in English) about his work.
Paskaljević lives between Belgrade and Paris. He has both Serbian and French citizenship.
- 1976 – Beach Guard in Winter (Čuvar plaže u zimskom periodu)
- 1977 – The Dog Who Loved Trains (Pas koji je voleo vozove)
- 1979 – The Days on Earth Are Flowing (Zemaljski dani teku)
- 1980 – Special Treatment (Poseban tretman)
- 1982 – Twilight Time (Suton)
- 1984 – The Elusive Summer of '68 (Varljivo leto '68)
- 1987 – Guardian Angel (Anđeo čuvar)
- 1989 – Time of Miracles (Vreme čuda)
- 1992 – Tango Argentino (Tango argentino)
- 1995 – Someone Else's America (Tuđa Amerika)
- 1998 – Cabaret Balkan (Bure baruta)
- 2001 – How Harry Became a Tree
- 2004 – Midwinter Night's Dream (San zimske noći)
- 2006 – The Optimists (Optimisti)
- 2009 – Honeymoons (Medeni mesec)
- 2012 – When Day Breaks (Kad svane dan)
- 2016 – Land of the Gods