Google Finance is a website focusing on business news and financial information hosted by Google.
|Initial release||March 21, 2006|
|Type||Financial information site|
Google Finance was first launched by Google on March 21, 2006. The service featured business and enterprise headlines for many corporations including their financial decisions and major news events. Stock information was available, as were Adobe Flash-based stock price charts which contained marks for major news events and corporate actions. The site also aggregated Google News and Google Blog Search articles about each corporation, though links were not screened and often deemed untrustworthy.
Google launched a revamped version of their finance site on December 12, 2006, featuring a new homepage design which lets users see currency information, sector performance for the United States market and a listing of top market movers along with the relevant and important news of the day. A top movers section was also added, based on popularity determined by Google Trends. The upgrade also featured charts containing up to 40 years of data for U.S. stocks, and richer portfolio options. Another update brought real-time ticker updates for stocks to the site, as both NASDAQ and the New York Stock Exchange partnered with Google in June 2008. Google added advertising to its finance page on November 18, 2008. However, since 2008, it has not undergone any major upgrades and the Google Finance Blog was closed in August 2012.
In early 2018, a notice on the website announced that the website had been renovated. The notice said that the portfolio feature was to be removed, and advised that stocks from the old portfolio feature would be migrated to the new website, and also giving the option for users to download the portfolio as a CSV file.
- Search Engine Watch - Google Finance's Untrusted Links and Spotting Nofollow - November 26, 2006 Archived December 27, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Kirkpatrick, Marshall. "Google Finance and the Real Time Web". Read Write Web, June 2, 2008.
- Webware - Google Finance gets real-time NYSE ticker updates - Josh Lowensohn - June 24, 2008
- "Huge Google Finance Updates coming in November". Phandroid - Android News and Reviews. September 22, 2017.
- "Follow & compare stocks - Google Search Help". support.google.com.
- "Google Finance". finance.google.com. January 9, 2018. Archived from the original on January 9, 2018. Retrieved January 9, 2018.