This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Sanskrit: ज्ञानदेव तू कैवल्यम, romanized: "Through knowledge one attains liberation"|
|Chancellor||Governor of Maharashtra|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Namdeo Venkatrao Kalyankar|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU|
On July 23, 2010 Maharashtra Legislative Assembly passed a unanimous resolution to constitute the Gondwana University, for the area comprising districts of Chandrapur and Gadchiroli. The resolution was moved by then Higher and Technical Education Minister Rajesh Tope. The new university was constituted by issuing notification under sub-section (2) of section 3 of the Maharashtra Universities Act, 1994. In 27 September 2011, Gondwana University was carved out of RTMNU, Nagpur. The official inauguration date was delayed until August 2012.
Gondwana University has been allegedly in limelight for scam for land acquisition. There is a heartburn about the scam amongst senate members of Gondwana University. Senate members exposed the land acquisition scam. Land acquisition scam is entitled to be worth of Rs. 3,73,77,590. Senate members are demanding for the further detailed investigation and crime charges against those who are involved in the scam.
The university has its campus in Gadchiroli city.
Faculties and DepartmentsEdit
The university has faculties of mphil Arts, Science, Law, Social Science, Commerce, HomeScience, Education and Medicine.
There are a total of 236 colleges affiliated to the University. The prominent colleges affiliated to the University are Janata Mahavidyalaya (established in 1958) and Government College of Engineering, Chandrapur.
- Vijay Ainchwar (2011-13)
- Dr. Namdeo Venkatrao Kalyankar (2015-present)
- Gondwana University
- "Maharashtra Universities Act, 1994" (PDF). Maharashtra Government Gazette. Government of Maharashtra. 21 July 1994. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 August 2016. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- "Maha Legislature passes bill to set up Gondwana University".
- "Finally, GU to become an official varsity on Aug 26". The Times of India. Aug 25, 2012. Retrieved 2013-04-22.
- Ganjapure, Vaibhav (25 August 2012). "Finally, GU to become an official varsity on Aug 26". The Times of India. Times News Network. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- "Maharashtra Public Universities Act, 2016" (PDF). Maharashtra Government Gazette. Government of Maharashtra. 11 January 2017. p. 119. Retrieved 16 July 2017.
- "Land Acquisition Scam of Gondwana University". The Times of India.
- "Govt sanctions 38 new colleges in Gadchiroli". The Times of India. Jul 14, 2012. Retrieved 2013-04-22.