Gonda, Uttar Pradesh
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (March 2015)
Gonda (Urdu: گونڈہ ), is a city and municipal board of Gonda district in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is situated 120 km north east of the state capital Lucknow. Gonda is divided into four tahsils named Gonda, Colonelganj, Tarabganj and Mankapur. Gonda is located at . In the Swachh Survekshan 2017, Gonda was ranked the dirtiest city in India among the 434 cities surveyed.
|Elevation||120 m (390 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The name of this district comes from the Sanskrit-Hindi word goshala, meaning cowshed. The cowsheds of the royal lineage of Ayodhya viz. Ikshavaku (Raghukul) of the Solar dynasty were located here. The territory covered by the present district of Gonda is a part of the ancient Kosala Kingdom. After the departure to Saket Dham of Lord Rama, the celebrated sovereign of the Solar line who ruled Kosala, the kingdom was divided into two portions defined by the Ghaghara river. The northern portion was then ruled by his son, Lava, with the city of Sravasti as his capital.
As per provisional data of 2011 census, Gonda urban agglomeration had a population of 138,929, out of which males were 71,475 and females were 67,454. The literacy rate was 80.32 per cent.
The founder of the Swaminarayan Sampradaya, Swaminarayan was born as Ghanshyam Pandey in the village Chhapaiya of Gonda district. As a child, he also lived in Ayodhya and visited the town of Gonda on a pilgrimage with his parents. The Swaminarayan Akshardham temple in New Delhi is dedicated to him, as Akshardham is his divine abode.
- Generation Next Place For Computer Education Gonda City.
Swaminarayan Chhapaiyā: The village of Chhapaiya is situated at a distance of 45 km from the district headquarters. The chief interest of the place is Swaminarayan temple which marks the birthplace of Swaminarayan, or Sahajanand Swami, who was born here on 2 April 1781 as Ghanshyam Pande.and Ghanshyam left Chhapaiya at the age of 11 to travel to the pilgrimage sites around India. He completed his pilgrimage in Western Gujarat, where he assumed the leadership of Swaminarayan Sampradaya. The very famous Akshardham temples in New Delhi and in Gandhinagar, Gujarat built by his spiritual successor, Pramukh Swami Maharaj, are both dedicated to him. His followers consider him to be a manifestation of the Supreme Godhead. There have been many movies about the Swaminarayan filmed in this temple in Chhapaiya and in nearby places in the district.
- Baba Gayadeen Vaidya Babu Ram Mahavidyalaya
- Baikunth Nath Mahavidyalaya
- Bhagirathi Singh Memorial Mahavidyalaya, wazirganj Gonda
- Chandra Shekhar Shyamraji Mahavidyalaya
- Dashrath Singh Memorial Mahavidyalay
- Dr. Bheem Rao Ambedkar Mahavidyalaya
- Hakikullah Chaudhary Mahavidyalaya
- Jagdamba Sharan Singh Educational Institute
- Kamta Prasad Mathura Prasad Janta Mahavidyalaya
- Kisan Degree College
- L.B.S. P. G. College (in Gonda town)
- Lakhan Lal Sharan Singh Mahavidyalaya
- Maa Gayatri Ram Sukh Pandey Mahavidyalaya
- Mahakavi Tulsidas Mahavidyalaya
- Nandini Nagar Mahavidyalaya Nawabgang
- Nandini Nagar Vidhi Mahavidyalaya Nawabgang
- Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyay Gramoday Mahavidyalaya
- Pt. Jag Narain Shukla Gramoday Mahavidyalaya
- Pt. Ram Dutt Shukla Mahavidyalaya
- Raghoram Diwakar Dutt Gyanoday Mahavidyalaya
- Raja Raghuraj Singh Mahavidyalaya Mankapur
- Ram Nath Memorial Mahavidyalaya
- Ravindra Singh Memorial Mahavidyalaya
- Saraswati Devi Nari Gyansthali Mahavidyalaya (in Gonda town)
- Sardar Mohar Singh Memorial Mahila Mahavidyalaya Mankapur
- Saryu Degree College situated in tehshil Colonelganj of Gonda district.
- Smt. J. Devi Mahila Mahavidyalaya
- Sri Raghukul Mahila Vidyapeeth (in gonda town)
- Subhash Chandra Bose Memorial Mahavidyalaya
- shree chitra gupt inter college,colonelganj,gonda
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Gonda
- "Swachh Survekshan 2017: Indore cleanest city, Bhopal at no 2, Gonda dirtiest". The Indian Express. 4 May 2017.
- Gonda District at The Imperial Gazetteer of India, 1908, v. 12, p. 312.
- India Divine
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- Census 2011 http://www.census2011.co.in/census/city/143-gonda.html. Retrieved 9 May 2017. Missing or empty
- Dave, Ramesh (2010). Ghanshyam Charitra (7th ed.). Amdavad: Swaminarayan Aksharpith. p. 43. ISBN 81-7526-338-5.
- Williams, Raymond (2001). An Introduction to Swaminarayan Hinduism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 226. ISBN 978-0-521-65422-7.
Triveni nagar colony
Avash vikash colony
Avash vikash colony phase 1
Upadhyay nagar colony, upadhyay atta chakki
Sichayi vibhag colony
Gayatre puram colony
Post office colony
khaira railway colony
shiv Puri colony