Golf at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Men's individual
The men's golf tournament at the 2016 Summer Olympics took place at the Olympic Golf Course (Portuguese: Campo Olímpico de Golfe), built within the Reserva de Marapendi in the Barra da Tijuca zone, between 11 and 14 August 2016. It was the first such tournament in 112 years.
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
View of the Olympic Golf Course in Barra da Tijuca, the venue of the men's golf tournament.
|Venue||Olympic Golf Course|
|Dates||11–14 August 2016|
|Competitors||60 from 34 nations|
|Winning score||268 (−16)|
Sixty players took part in four rounds of stroke play. Justin Rose of Great Britain won the gold medal by two strokes over silver medalist Henrik Stenson of Sweden. Matt Kuchar of the United States was one stroke behind Stenson and won the bronze medal.
Each country qualified from one to four athletes based on World Rankings.
|North America (7)||South America (6)||Europe (25)||Oceania (4)||Asia (16)||Africa (2)|
|Canada (2)||Argentina (2)||Austria (1)||Australia (2)||Bangladesh (1)||South Africa (2)|
|Mexico (1)||Brazil (1)||Belgium (2)||New Zealand (2)||China (2)|
|United States (4)||Chile (1)||Denmark (2)||Chinese Taipei (2)|
|Paraguay (1)||Finland (2)||India (2)|
|Venezuela (1)||France (2)||Japan (2)|
|Germany (2)||Malaysia (2)|
|Great Britain (2)||Philippines (1)|
|Ireland (2)||South Korea (2)|
|Italy (2)||Thailand (2)|
Thursday, 11 August 2016
Marcus Fraser of Australia recorded nine birdies on his way to a round of 63 (−8) and a three-shot lead. Justin Rose of Great Britain became the first player to make a hole-in-one at the Games.
|Justin Rose||Great Britain|
|T9||An Byeong-hun||South Korea||68||−3|
Friday, 12 August 2016
|Justin Rose||Great Britain||67-69=136|
|Danny Lee||New Zealand||72-65=137|
|T10||Pan Cheng-tsung||Chinese Taipei||69-69=138||−4|
Saturday, 13 August 2016
Rose fired a 65 (−6) including two eagles to take a one-shot lead over world number five Henrik Stenson into the final round. South Africa's Jaco van Zyl, meanwhile, made a hole in one of his own at the 8th.
|1||Justin Rose||Great Britain||67-69-65=201||−12|
|T4||Bubba Watson||United States||73-67-67=207||−6|
|Matt Kuchar||United States||69-70-69=208|
Sunday, 14 August 2016
Rose and Stenson continued to battle in the final group of the day and were tied at −15 going to the 18th. Rose then produced a backspin approach that left him with a 2.5-foot putt, and Stenson underhit his approach and eventually three-putted for bogey, leaving Rose with two putts to win the gold. He made the first for birdie to secure the win, becoming the first golfer to win Olympic gold in 112 years.
It was Rose's first tournament win in 10 months, having won the UBS Hong Kong Open the previous October. American Matt Kuchar, who had entered the final round tied for seventh, shot a 63 (−8) to take bronze.
WD = Withdrawn
- Graham, Bryan Armen (14 August 2016). "Justin Rose wins gold in Olympic golf for Great Britain at Rio 2016". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Rio Olympics 2016: Justin Rose beats Henrik Stenson to Olympic gold in tense finale". BBC Sport. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Week 33: Golf's Olympic Medalist's". Official World Golf Ranking. 15 August 2016.
- "Justin Rose wins showdown with Henrik Stenson for men's golf gold". ESPN. Associated Press. 15 August 2016.
- "Olympic Golf Competition". Official World Golf Ranking. 14 August 2016.
- "Official World Golf Ranking – Week 33, 2016" (PDF). Official World Golf Ranking. 14 August 2016.
- "Rio Olympics 2016: Australia's Marcus Fraser claims three shot lead in men's first round". BBC Sport. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- IGF (14 August 2016). "Men's Leaderboard". International Golf Federation. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Men's Individual Stroke Play – Round 1". rio2016.com. Archived from the original on 8 August 2016. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Corrigan, James (14 August 2016). "Justin Rose hits the first hole-in-one in Olympic history on day one of Rio 2016 golf". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Men's Individual Stroke Play – Round 2". rio2016.com. Archived from the original on 27 August 2016. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Men's Individual Stroke Play – Round 3". rio2016.com. Archived from the original on 17 August 2016. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Rio Olympics 2016: Britain's Justin Rose leads after third round". BBC Sport. 13 August 2016. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- Corrigan, James; Stafford, James; Hurrey, Adam (14 August 2016). "Rio Olympics 2016: Justin Rose holds off Henrik Stenson to realise his dream with gold in the men's golf". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Men's Individual Stroke Play - Round 4". rio2016.com. Archived from the original on 14 August 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.