Golegã (Portuguese pronunciation: [ɡɔlɨˈɣɐ̃] (listen)) is a town and municipality in Santarém District, Portugal. The population of the municipality in 2011 was 5,913, in an area of 84.32 km².
|Intermunic. comm.||Lezíria do Tejo|
|• President||Rui Manuel Lince Singeis Medinas Duarte (PS)|
|• Total||84.32 km2 (32.56 sq mi)|
|• Density||70/km2 (180/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC±00:00 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+01:00 (WEST)|
|Local holiday||Ascension Day (date varies)|
The main historical sight of Golegã is its main church Igreja Matriz da Golegã, built in the early 16th century in Manueline (Portuguese late Gothic) style. The remarkable main portal and the ribbed vaulting inside the main chapel are its most important artistic features. Near Golegã village is located the Quinta da Cardiga, a manor house with its origin in a 12th-century donation to the Knights Templar. Originally the site of a castle, the property was remodelled in the 16th century into a Renaissance rural palace.
|Population of Golegã municipality|
The main agricultural productions in the municipality are maize and Beta vulgaris. The area is a reputed animal breeding center and an internationally renowned cattle and horse market. Golegã is considered the capital of the horse (Capital do Cavalo), and it has been the site for the gathering of breeders since at least the 18th century. Two fairs take place every November in Golegã: The Feira Nacional do Cavalo (National Horse Fair) and the Feira Internacional do Cavalo Lusitano (International Lusitano Horse Fair), dedicated to the Pure Blood Lusitano.
- José Saramago, the winner of the 1998 Nobel Prize in Literature, was born in the civil parish of Azinhaga in 1922.
- Manuel Bento, distinguished goalkeeper having 63 caps in the national team to his credit, including games at the 1984 UEFA European Football Championship and 1986 FIFA World Cup final tournaments, was born in the village of Golegã in 1948.
- including the parish Pombalinho, that changed from the municipality of Santarém to Golegã in 2013
- Instituto Nacional de Estatística
- "Áreas das freguesias, concelhos, distritos e país". Archived from the original on 2018-11-05. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- Diário da República. "Law nr. 11-A/2013, page 552 53" (pdf) (in Portuguese). Retrieved 23 July 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Municipality official website
- Feira da Golega.com
- (in French) Feira nacionale do cavalo (photo reporting)
- Photos from Golegã