Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama(Redirected from Golden Globe Award for Best Actress - Motion Picture Drama)
The Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama was first awarded by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association as a separate category in 1951. Previously, there was a single award for "Best Actress in a Motion Picture" but the splitting allowed for recognition of it and the Best Actress – Comedy or Musical.
|Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama|
|Awarded for||Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Drama|
|Presented by||Hollywood Foreign Press Association|
|Currently held by||Frances McDormand for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)|
The formal title has varied since its inception. In 2005, it was officially called "Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama". As of 2013, the wording is "Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama".
It is notable for being the category in which the only three-way tie in Golden Globe history occurred, when Jodie Foster, Shirley MacLaine, and Sigourney Weaver all won the award in 1989 at the 46th Golden Globe Awards.
- "†" indicates an Academy Award- winning performance.
- "‡" indicates an Academy Award- nomination.
- "§" indicates a Golden Globe Award- winning performance that was not nominated for an Academy Award.
Winners and nomineesEdit
|1943||Jennifer Jones||Bernadette Soubirous||The Song of Bernadette †|
|1944||Ingrid Bergman||Paula Alquist Anton||Gaslight †|
|1945||Ingrid Bergman||Sister Mary Benedict||The Bells of St. Mary's ‡|
|1946||Rosalind Russell||Sister Elizabeth Kenny||Sister Kenny ‡|
|1947||Rosalind Russell||Lavinia Mannon||Mourning Becomes Electra ‡|
|1948||Jane Wyman||Belinda MacDonald||Johnny Belinda †|
|1949||Olivia de Havilland||Catherine Sloper||The Heiress †|
|Deborah Kerr||Evelyn Boult||Edward, My Son ‡|
- 3 wins
- Ingrid Bergman (2 consecutive)
- Jane Fonda (2 consecutive)
- Meryl Streep (2 consecutive)
- 2 wins
- Cate Blanchett
- Sally Field
- Jodie Foster
- Shirley MacLaine
- Geraldine Page (consecutive)
- Rosalind Russell (consecutive)
- Hilary Swank
- Joanne Woodward
- Jane Wyman
- Academy Award for Best Actress
- Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Actress
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Female Lead
- BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Comedy or Musical
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role