This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gokulananda Singha , born on 26 November 1896 at the Village of Madhabpur of Moulvibazar district of Bangladesh, was a poet, writer and social reformer. Gokuladanda could not pursue his studies much, he could study only up to 8th standard because of some adverse circumstances, but his burning desire of acquiring knowledge remained with him which later on encouraged him to set up a school. He came over India later on and settled at Tripura.
|Born||26 November 1896|
Madhabpur, Bhanugach, sylhet, Bangladesh
|Died||10 July 1962 (aged 65)|
|Occupation||Writer, reformer, lecturer|
|Genre||Philosopher, academic, educator, translator, printer, publisher, entrepreneur, reformer, philanthropist|
|Literary movement||Bishnnupriya Manipuri Renaissance|
Few of his compositions survive today, and those still extant are remembered chiefly by the people from his popular refrains. Recently, a few additional specimens of his writings were recovered. But the few lines which still survive, speak volumes.
Gokulananda was also a social reformer. His impact on the Bisnupriya Manipuries has been manifold. He traversed the whole of the Bishnupriya-speaking region - singing with a missionary fervour of the ills of its society and their remedies. He devoted his entire life to serving the community, to improve the condition of people and to keep pace with the progress of other communities. He dramatized the plight of Manipuri women in the face of the comparative indolence of men. He was a victim of the turbulence of the times and he appeared to have wider sympathies.
He exhorted the Bishnupriya Manipuri people to shake of their deep slumber and awake. He said —
Ojnan adhararma ghumatai koti, Utha aji habihan jwaleya chei jnanor bati
(How long, will you sleep in the darkness of ignorance. All of you must awake to-day. Look ahead after lighting the lamp of knowledge)
Gokulananda was awarded with the title 'Gitiswami' along with a silver medallion, in a special session of Nikhil Bishnupriya Manipuri Mahasabha, in 1935.
- "Gitiswami award conferred on Moromi Kobi - Sentinelassam". The Sentinel Assam. Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- "Gokulananda Gitiswami: The Ministrel Per Excelence". www.manipuri.org. Retrieved 20 February 2021.
- Nov 28, TNN /; 2013; Ist, 06:28. "Bishnupriyas for due recognition of language | Guwahati News - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 February 2021.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Barun Kumar Sinha. Imarging Pattern of the Bisnupriya Manipury Society- A Study in Cultural Identity, an essay. Dept. Of English, S.S.College Hailakandi.
- Gokulananda Gitiswami - Father of Bishnupriya Manipuri Community
- htt ps://manipuri.wordpress.com/2007/11/05/gokulananda-gitiswami-the-father-of-bishnupriya-manipuri-community/#comment-19