Global Labour Institute
The Global Labour Institute (GLI Network Ltd) in the UK, is part of an international network of not-for-profit organisations with the stated aim of promoting international solidarity among trade union organisations and affiliated groups in order to achieve a democratic and sustainable world society. The major activities of the GLI organisations are developing education, capacity-building and research on international labour movement development, gender policy and organising strategies. The Global Labour Institute works with global union federations, national trade unions and NGOs such as LabourStart, WIEGO and Oxfam, and it states an ideological commitment to democratic socialism.
The first Global Labour Institute was established in Geneva in 1997 and is chaired by Dan Gallin, a former General Secretary of the International Union of Food, Agricultural, Hotel, Restaurant, Catering, Tobacco and Allied Workers' Association (IUF) who has published widely on the history and future of the international trade union movement. The international GLI network is now formed of five organisations: GLI Geneva, GLI Manchester, GLI Paris, the Praxis Centre in Moscow, Russia, and the Trade Unions for Energy Democracy initiative which operarates out of the Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies at City University New York.
The Global Labour Institute runs an International Summer School at Northern College, Barnsley, which brings together trade unionists from across the world to discuss what are, and what should be, the politics of the international trade union movement. The first International Summer School took place in July 2012, and included 86 participants from 26 different countries. The Global Labour Institute has run three subsequent Schools in 2013, 2014 and 2015, and will be holding the fifth GLI International Summer School at Northern College from 4 - 8 July 2016.
- Global Labour Institute (GLI Network Ltd), 'Building Better Lives for Working-Poor Women', Research Report to Oxfam GB, (http://www.oxfam.org.uk/~/media/Files/policy_and_practice/food_livelihoods/working_poor_women_report_042011.ashx)
- WIEGO (http://wiego.org/resources/global-labour-institute-gli)
- Eric Lee, Global LabourNet (http://www.labourstart.org/labour46.html)
- Global Labour Institute, Geneva (http://www.globallabour.info/en/)
- Dan Gallin (2001), 'Propositions on Trade Unions and Informal Employment in Times of Globalisation', Antipode 33 (3), (http://www.ifwea.org/@Bin/217840/Gallin2001.pdf)
- Dan Gallin (2000) 'Trade Unions and NGOs: A Necessary Partnership for Social Development', UNRISD, Programme Paper, (http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/un-dpadm/unpan040131.pdf)
- Dan Gallin (2008) 'International Framework agreements: a reassessment', in Konstantinos Papadakis (eds) Cross Border Social Dialogue and Agreements: An emerging global industrial relations framework?, ILO, (http://www.oit.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---dgreports/---dcomm/---publ/documents/publication/wcms_093423.pdf#page=31)
- Social Network Unionism, 'GLI 2012 International Summer School' (http://snuproject.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/the-gli-2012-international-summer-school-on-the-political-agenda-of-the-international-trade-union-movement/)
- Celia Mather, 'The Political Agenda of the International Trade Union Movement', (http://www.newunionism.net/library/internationalism/GLI%20-%20The%20Political%20Agenda%20of%20the%20Trade%20Union%20Movement%20-%202012.pdf)