Give My Regards to Broad Street
Give My Regards to Broad Street is the fifth studio album by Paul McCartney, as well as the soundtrack album to his 1984 film of the same name. The album reached number 1 on the UK chart. The lead single, "No More Lonely Nights", was BAFTA and Golden Globe Award nominated. It was also to be his final album to be released under Columbia Records, which had been his US label for over 5 years.[better source needed]
|Give My Regards to Broad Street|
|Soundtrack album / studio album by Paul McCartney|
|Released||22 October 1984|
|Recorded||5 November 1982 – 26 July 1984 (sporadically)|
|Studio||Abbey Road Studios, AIR Studios and CTS Studios, London|
|Paul McCartney chronology|
|Singles from Give My Regards to Broad Street|
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music|||
|The Essential Rock Discography||3/10|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
The majority of the album – which is sequenced in the order of the songs' appearance in the film – features re-interpretations of many of Paul McCartney's past classics of The Beatles and Wings: "Good Day Sunshine", "Yesterday", "Here, There and Everywhere", "Silly Love Songs" , "For No One", "Eleanor Rigby" and "The Long and Winding Road". There were also interpretations of songs from McCartney's more recent albums; "Ballroom Dancing" and "Wanderlust" from Tug of War and "So Bad" from Pipes of Peace. Besides "No More Lonely Nights" (also heard in a dance version), the only previously-unheard tracks were "Not Such a Bad Boy", "No Values" and a symphonic extension of "Eleanor Rigby" entitled "Eleanor's Dream". The scope of the album was so immense that when it saw release that October, its vinyl issue had specially edited versions of its songs. The cassette and the later CD edition preserved the tracks' full lengths, while the CD went one further by including a bonus 1940s-styled piece called "Goodnight Princess". A notable switch from past album song credits is the crediting of song writing to "McCartney-Lennon" as opposed to the usual "Lennon-McCartney" on all other albums.
Release and chartsEdit
Preceded by "No More Lonely Nights (Ballad)", a worldwide top 10 hit featuring guitar work by David Gilmour, Give My Regards to Broad Street entered the UK charts at number 1 while going gold with a number 21 peak in the United States (selling under expectations there). It would also mark the end of McCartney's relatively brief alliance with Columbia Records in the US, which had started with the final Wings album Back to the Egg in 1979. McCartney would re-sign with EMI worldwide (where he remained until 2007) with his Columbia output reverting to his new – and original – label in the US, Capitol Records.
Simultaneously with the film's premiere in November, McCartney's Rupert Bear recording, "We All Stand Together," started back in 1980 and credited to 'Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus', was released and became a hit single in the UK, reaching number 3. The accompanying animated film was shown in cinemas immediately preceding the main "Give My Regards to Broad Street" feature.
The soundtrack's original release was on Columbia Records in 1984 in North America. It was remastered in 1993 and reissued on CD as part of 'The Paul McCartney Collection' series with two extended dance mixes of "No More Lonely Nights (playout version)" as bonus tracks.
All songs by Paul McCartney, except where noted.
|CD Track||Cassette Track||LP Track||Title||CD Time||LP Time||Notes|
|1||A1||A1||"No More Lonely Nights (ballad)"||5:13||4:42||Features David Gilmour on lead guitar|
|2||A2||A2||"Good Day Sunshine"||2:33||1:49||(Lennon–McCartney) Original version on The Beatles album Revolver|
|3||A4||A4||"Yesterday"||1:43||1:43||(Lennon–McCartney) Original version on The Beatles album Help!|
|4||A5||A5||"Here, There and Everywhere"||1:43||1:45||(Lennon–McCartney) Original version on The Beatles album Revolver|
|5||A6||A6||"Wanderlust"||4:07||2:48||Original version on solo album Tug of War|
|6||A7||A7||"Ballroom Dancing"||4:51||4:35||Features John Paul Jones on bass guitar. Original version on solo album Tug of War|
|7||A8||A8||"Silly Love Songs"||5:27||4:31||Original version on Wings album Wings at the Speed of Sound|
|A9||B1||"Silly Love Songs (reprise)"||0:36|
|8||A10||B2||"Not Such a Bad Boy"||3:29||3:19|
|9||B1||–||"So Bad"||3:25||–||Original version on solo album Pipes of Peace|
|10||B2||B3||"No Values"||4:12||4:13||No More Lonely Nights (ballad reprise) is incorrectly listed as being segued with No Values on the 1993 CD remaster|
|11||B3||B4||"No More Lonely Nights (ballad reprise)"||2:12||0:13|
|B4||B5||"For No One"||1:58||(Lennon–McCartney) Original version on The Beatles album Revolver|
|12||B5||B6||"Eleanor Rigby"||9:10||2:07||(Lennon–McCartney) Original version on The Beatles album Revolver|
|13||B6||B8||"The Long and Winding Road"||3:57||3:47||(Lennon–McCartney) Original version on The Beatles album Let It Be|
|14||B7||B9||"No More Lonely Nights (playout version)"||5:03||4:26|
|15||–||–||"Goodnight Princess"||3:58||–||Original Columbia CDs (CK 39613) listed this track as Goodnight Lonely Princess|
- 1993 bonus tracks
|CD Track||Cassette Track||LP Track||Title||CD Time||LP Time||Notes|
|16||–||–||"No More Lonely Nights (extended version)"||8:11||–||"No More Lonely Nights (extended version)" incorrectly listed as 6:56 in CD booklet and on the CD label.
"No More Lonely Nights (special dance edit)" incorrectly listed as "No More Lonely Nights (special dance mix)"
|17||–||–||"No More Lonely Nights (special dance mix)"||4:21||–|
Due to the length of the recording, the 1984 LP omits "So Bad" and "Goodnight Princess", edits out about six minutes of "Eleanor's Dream", and also sections of "Good Day Sunshine", "Wanderlust" and "No More Lonely Nights (playout version)".
On the LP cover a remark alerts the listener:
- This record is longer than usual but due to the available playing time on a vinyl disc some editing of the sound track has been necessary to retain full volume and dynamic range. Even longer versions exist on cassette and compact disc.
Track lengths on album notes do not include spoken sections between songs and so do not match CD timings. On the list above these sections are included at the beginning of each track, as on the 1984 release, while on the remastered 1993 CD (listed above) they are mostly included at the end of the tracks.
- Paul McCartney – vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, drums, electric harpsichord, bass guitar
- Eric Stewart, Steve Lukather, Chris Spedding, Dave Edmunds — guitar vocals
- Linda McCartney – keyboards, vocals
- David Gilmour, Eric Ford – guitar
- Pat Halling, Laurie Lewis, Raymond Keenlyside, Tony Gilbert – violin
- Derek Grossmith – clarinet, alto saxophone
- Eddie Mordue – clarinet, tenor saxophone
- Vic Ash – tenor saxophone
- Ronnie Hughs, Bobby Haughey – trumpet on "Ballroom Dancing"
- Chris Smith – trombone on "Ballroom Dancing"
- Brass Ensemble - Philip Jones Brass Ensemble - Group Leader Philip Jones - Lead Trumpeter - Jimmy Watson
- Jeff Bryant – French horn
- George Martin – piano
- Gerry Butler – keyboards
- Trevor Barstow – piano
- Anne Dudley – synthesizer
- Russ Stableford – acoustic bass
- Herbie Flowers, Louis Johnson, John Paul Jones – bass guitar
- Jeff Porcaro, Dave Mattacks, Ringo Starr, Stuart Elliott, John Dean – drums
- Jody Linscott – percussion
Certifications and salesEdit
|Japan (Oricon Charts)||164,000|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Give My Regards to Broad Street at AllMusic
- Larkin, Colin (2006). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music (4th edn). New York, NY: Oxford University Press. p. 1257. ISBN 0-19-531373-9.
- Strong, Martin C. (2006). The Essential Rock Discography. Edinburgh, UK: Canongate. p. 696. ISBN 978-1-84195-827-9.
- Graff, Gary; Durchholz, Daniel (eds) (1999). MusicHound Rock: The Essential Album Guide. Farmington Hills, MI: Visible Ink Press. p. 730. ISBN 1-57859-061-2.
- Nicol, Jimmy (October 1993). "Re-releases: Paul McCartney The Paul McCartney Collection". Q. p. 119.
- Randall, Mac; Brackett, Nathan; Hoard, Christian (eds) (2004). The New Rolling Stone Album Guide (4th edn). New York, NY: Simon & Schuster. p. 526. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8.
- Broad Street (1984) – Awards
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Top Albums/CDs – Volume 41, No. 13" (PHP). RPM. 1 December 1984. Retrieved 3 May 2012.
- "dutchcharts.nl Paul McCartney – Give My Regards to Broad Street". dutchcharts.nl. MegaCharts. Archived from the original on 14 November 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Hit Parade Italia – Gli album più venduti del 1984". hitparadeitalia.it (in Italian). Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970–2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4-87131-077-9.
- "charts.org.nz Paul McCartney – Give My Regards to Broad Street". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Archived from the original on 12 November 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "norwegiancharts.com Paul McCartney – Give My Regards to Broad Street". VG-lista. Archived from the original on 8 November 2012. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "swedishcharts.com Paul McCartney – Give My Regards to Broad Street". Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Number 1 Albums – 1980s". The Official Charts Company. Archived from the original on 9 February 2008. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- "Give My Regards to Broad Street: Charts & Awards: Billboard Albums". allmusic.com. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Album Search: Paul McCartney – Give My Regards to Broad Street" (ASP) (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1984". RPM. 5 January 1985. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- "日本で売れた洋楽アルバムトップ10" [Top-ten international albums on the Japanese Oricon Year-End Charts 1984]. Archived from the original on 21 October 2007. Retrieved 21 October 2007.
- "Complete UK Year-End Album Charts". Archived from the original on 11 January 2012. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Solo Exitos 1959–2002 Ano A Ano: Certificados 1979–1990". Solo Exitos 1959–2002 Ano A Ano.
- "British album certifications – Paul McCartney – Give My Regards to Broad Street". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Enter Give My Regards to Broad Street in the search field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Paul McCartney – Give My Regards to Broad Street". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH