Gippy Grewal in 2019
2 January 1983
|Spouse(s)||Ravneet Kaur Grewal|
His single "Phulkari" was very successful in the Punjabi music industry. He made his acting debut in the 2010 movie, Mel Karade Rabba, and which he followed with Carry On Jatta, Lucky Di Unlucky Story, Bhaji in Problem and Jatt James Bond. He revived "PTC Best Actor Award" in 2011 for his performance in the 2011 film Jihne Mera Dil Luteya. He received the "PIFAA Best Actor Award" in 2012 along with Diljit Dosanjh and received "PTC Best Actor Award" in 2015 for Jatt James Bond along with Diljit Dosanjh.
Grewal was born in Ludhiana and his hometown is Koom Kalan, Ludhiana. He did his schooling from Nankana Sahib Public School, Kot Gangu Rai and studied at North India Institute of Hotel Management, Panchkula. His brother Sippy Grewal is a distributor based in Australia.
Grewal made his debut with the album Chakkh Lai was produced by Aman Hayer. He followed with the albums Nasha, Phulkari, Phulkari 2 Just Hits and Gangster. His 2012 song "Angreji Beat", featured in the Bollywood film Cocktail. The video for his 2013 single "Hello Hello" was shot in Las Vegas, Nevada. He performed at the Sandwell and Birmingham Mela in 2014. Before his fame though he was a wedding singer. He frequently performed at weddings in Punjab, India.
Grewal made his film debut in a supporting role in 2010 Punjabi-language film Mel Karade Rabba. He followed that up with a lead role in Jihne Mera Dil Luteya which became the biggest hit in Punjabi cinema when it released. In April 2012 his film Mirza – The Untold Story released with the highest opening for a Punjabi film at the time.
His next movie Carry On Jatta released in July 2012 and had the second highest opening and total collections for Punjabi film. In 2013, Grewal released the action film Singh vs Kaur, comedy film Lucky Di Unlucky Story and Best of Luck and the comedy movie Bhaji in Problem.
In 2015, Grewal entered Bollywood with a guest appearance in the comedy-drama film Dharam Sankat Mein. He then made his full acting debut in Bollywood with the romantic-comedy film Second Hand Husband.
|Year released||Album||Music||Record label|
|2002||Chakk Ley ft. Jagdev Maan||Atul Sharma||Anand Music|
|2003||Aaja Wey Mitra ft. Jagdev Maan||Atul Sharma||Nupur Audio|
|2004||Mele Mittaran De ft. Jagdev Maan||Kiss'n'tell||Finetone|
|2005||Phulkari 2 ft. Jagdev Maan||Kiss'n'tell||Planet Recordz, Sukhnoor Aulakh (record label)|
|2006||Akh Larh Gayi ft. Jagdev Maan||Sukhpal Sukh||Speed Records|
|2007||Chandi De Challe ft. Jagdev Maan||Bhinda Aujla||Sukhnoor Aulakh /Kamlee Records LTD|
|2008||My Time To Shine ft. Jagdev Maan||Bhinda Aujla||Speed Records/Kamlee Records LTD|
|2010||Desi Rockstar ft. Jagdev Maan||Aman Hayer||Speed Records|
|2016||Desi Rockstar 2||JSL,
Aman Hayer, Dr. Zeus
|2020||The Main Man||Deep Jandu,
|2010||Mel Karade Rabba||Sher Ban Ke|
|2011||Jihne Mera Dil Luteya||"Billi Billi Akh" , "Munde Jattan De" , "Supna" and "Jhanjar"|
|2012||Carry on Jatta||"Carry on Jatta" , "Phulkari" , "Roula Pai Gaya" , "Marjawa" , "Udaayi Ja" , "Tera Na" , "Funda"|
|2013||Singh vs Kaur||"Zakhmi Dil" , "Cut Sleev" , "Bukhchu" , "Maasi" , "Singha Singha" , "Donali"|
|2013||Lucky di Unlucky Story||"Whisky" , "Kach Da Samaan" , "Desi Gana" , "Sap Keel Ley" , "Dil Tut Na Jave" , "Ishq Da Rog"|
|2013||Best of Luck||"Khangya" , "Happy Shappy" , "91 ya 92" , "Papa Nu Pta Lag Ju "|
|2013||Bhaji in Problem||"Love ho Gaya" , "Ghar di Sharab" , "Ishq Zehreela" , "Chad Gayi Oye" , "Ferrari"|
|2014||Jatt James Bond||"Chandi Di Dabbi" , "Jatt Diyan Tauran" , "Tu Meri Baby Doll"|
|2014||Double di Trouble||"26 Ban Gayi" , "Dil Nachda Phire" , "Football" , "Lak Tunu Tunu"|
|2015||Faraar||"Budwaar" , "Jatti" , "Diamond" , "Taur"|
|2016||Kaptaan||"Oscar" , "26-26" , "Redua" , "Rabba Rabba"|
|2016||Film Lock||Jatt On Top|
|2017||Manje Bistre||"Jatt Attitude" and "Dubai Wale Shaikh"|
|2017||Jora 10 Numbariya||"Jora 10 Numbariya"|
|2018||Subedar Joginder Singh||"GAL DIL DI" , "ISHQ DA TARA"|
|2018||Laavan Phere||25 Kille Ft. Mannat Toor|
|2018||Vadhayiyaan Ji Vadhayiyaan||Akh Ladgayi|
|2018||Carry on Jatta 2||"Carry on Jatta 2" , "Kurta Chadra" , "Gabru" , "DJ Wala" , "Kikli" , "Bhangra Pa Lyiye"|
|2018||Mar Gaye Oye Loko||"Fuel" , "Lagda Khair Nahi" , "Mar Gaye Oye Loko"|
|2019||Manje Bistre 2||"Current" , "Bolliyan"|
|2019||Ik Sandhu Hunda Si||"Ik Sandhu Hunda Si" , "Charche" , "Sone Di Wang"|
|2019||Naukar Vahuti Da||"Naukar Vahuti Da"|
|2019||Daaka||"Gal Theek Ni Lagdi" , "Phulkari"|
|2019||Chandigarh Amritsar Chandigarh||"Ambersar De Papad" , "Aaja Billo Katthe Nachiye" , "Beautiful Jatti"|
|2020||Posti||"Posti (Title Track)"|
|2015||Dharam Sankat Mein||Tu Takke & Do You Know Baby|
|2015||Second Hand Husband||Bad Baby & Mithi Meri Jaan & Second Hand Husband|
|2016||Loveshhuda||Chitta Kukkad (ft.Neha Kakkar)|
|2016||Befikre||Khulke Dulke (ft.Harshdeep Kaur)|
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2010||Mel Karade Rabba||Nihal Dhasah||Punjabi Film Debut||Punjabi|
|2011||Jihne Mera Dil Luteya||Yuvraaj Singh Randhawa||Punjabi|
|2012||Mirza: The Untold Story||Mirza||Punjabi|
|2012||Carry On Jatta||Jass Dhillon||Co-Producer||Punjabi|
|2013||Singh vs Kaur||Nihal Singh||Punjabi|
|2013||Lucky Di Unlucky Story||Lucky||Co-Producer||Punjabi|
|2013||Best of Luck||Kullu||Co-Producer||Punjabi|
|2013||Bhaji in Problem||Jeeta||Punjabi|
|2014||Jatt James Bond||Shinda||Punjabi|
|2014||Double Di Trouble||Fateh/Ekam (Double Role)||Punjabi|
|2015||Second Hand Husband||Rajbir||Bollywood Film Debut||Hindi|
|2015||Faraar||Shinda/Ekam (Double Role)||Punjabi|
|2016||Kaptaan||Advocate Kaptaan Singh||Punjabi|
|2017||Manje Bistre||Sukhi||Also Producer & Writer||Punjabi|
|2017||Lucknow Central||Parminder Singh Gill(Pali)||Hindi|
|2018||Subedar Joginder Singh||Joginder Singh||Punjabi|
|2018||Carry on Jatta 2||Jass||Punjabi|
|2018||Mar Gaye Oye Loko||Tittu||also Writer and Producer||Punjabi|
|2019||Manje Bistre 2||Sukhi||Also Producer and Writer||Punjabi|
|2019||Chandigarh Amritsar Chandigarh||Rajveer||Punjabi|
|2019||Ardaas Karaan||Sehaj||Also, Director, writer and producer||Punjabi|
|2020||Ik Sandhu Hunda Si||Sandhu||Punjabi|
|2021||Manje Bistre 3||||Punjabi|
|2021||Paani Ch Madhaani||Filming||Punjabi|
|2021||Phatte Dinde Chakk Punjabi||Filming||Punjabi|
|2016||Ardaas||Ammy Virk, Gurpreet Ghuggi, Karamjit Anmol|
|2019||Ardaas Karaan||Gippy Grewal, Meher Vij, Gurpreet Ghuggi|
|2015||Dharam Sankat Mein||Manjeet Manchala|
|Year||Film||Role||Original Actor||Original language||Dubbed language|
|2013||A Good Day To Die Hard||Jack||Jae Courtesy||English||Punjabi|
|2013||Hello Hello||Veet Baljit||Dr Zeus|
|2014||Photo||Jassi Lokha||DJ Flow|
|2014||Shut up||Ravi Raj||Pav Dharia|
|2016||Ghat Boldi||Jaani||B Praak|
|2017||Lahore||Navi Kamboz||Dr Zeus|
|2017||Car Nachdi ft Bohemia||Jaani||B Praak|
|2017||Velna||Happy Raikoti||Jay K|
|2017||Nai Shad Da||Jaani||Jay K|
|2018||Hukam Da Yakka||Narinder Baath||Desi Crew|
|2018||Weekend||Sabbi Kothepona||Laddi Gill|
|2019||Khatarnaak ft Bohemia||Kumar Sunny||Desi Crew|
|2020||Where Baby Where||Jaani||Sukhe|
|2020||Nach Nach||Kulshan Sandhu||Enzo|
|2020||Miss You||Happy Raikoti||Enzo|
|2020||Vigad Gaya||Rav Hanjra||Snappy|
|2020||Me & U||Happy Raikoti||Desi Crew|
|2013||Voice of Punjab 4||PTC Punjabi||Guest|
|2014||Comedy Nights with Kapil||Colors TV|
|2015||Comedy Classes||Life OK|
Awards and nominations
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2009||Mel Karade Rabba||PTC Punjabi Film Awards||Best Male Debut||Nominated|
|2011||Punjabi Music Best Folk pop Album Award||Won|
|2011||Jihne Mera Dil Luteya||Best Actor
(tied with) Diljit Dosanjh for Jihne Mera Dil Luteya
|2012||Punjabi Music Most Popular song of the year||Won|
|2012||Mirza: The Untold Story||Best Actor||Nominated|
|Critics Best Actor||Won|
|Carry On Jatta||Best Actor||Nominated|
|Mirza: The Untold Story
Carry On Jatta
|Best Popular Star Of The Year||Won|
|2013||Singh vs Kaur||Best Actor||Nominated|
|2014||Jatt James Bond||Best Actor||Won|
|2014||Entertainer of The Year||Won|
|2016||Kaptaan||Most Popular song of the year||Won|
|Best Debut Director||Won|
|Ardaas||Filmfare Awards Punjabi||Best Director||Nominated|
|Best Debut Director||Won|
|Best Original Story||Won|
|2017||Manje Bistre||Best Actor||Nominated|
|Best Original Story||Nominated|
|Brit Asia Awards||Best Actor||Won|
|2017||Punjabi Music Awards||Best Duat vocalist(With Neha Kakkar) for patt Lain ge||Won|
|2018||Carry on Jatta 2||PTC Punjabi Film Awards||Best Actor||Won|
|Brit Asia Awards||Best Actor||Won
|2020||Ardaas Karaan||PTC Punjabi Film Awards||Best Director||Won|
|PTC Punjabi Film Awards||Best Film||Won|
- IANS (26 September 2017). "Big responsibility to play a national hero: Gippy Grewal". Business Standard India. Archived from the original on 22 May 2019. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- Dhaliwal, Shub Karman (16 August 2017). "Gippy Grewal starts Bollywood innings with Lucknow Central, recalls failures". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 19 September 2017. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- adarsh, taran (30 December 2018). "Gippy Grewal... Presenting the first look poster of #Punjabi film #ManjeBistre2... Teaser will be launched on Gippy Grewal's birthday [2 Jan 2019]… Written and produced by Gippy Grewal... Directed by Baljit Singh Deo... 12 April 2019 release.pic.twitter.com/vmOMXQIwcL". Archived from the original on 11 October 2020. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Birthday Special Gippy Grewal". timesofindia.com. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- Navleen Kaur Lakhi (18 January 2014). "Personal Agenda: Gippy Grewal". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 11 October 2020. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- It received nearly 2 million hits hours after its release. (10 Oct. 2019): https://lifeandtrendz.com/1-4-million-hits-for-phulkari-feat-gippy-grewal-and-zareen-khan/ Archived 11 October 2020 at the Wayback Machine
- ""I Have Been Approached To Do Bollywood Films", Says Gippy Grewal". The Link. Archived from the original on 2 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- "Have you seen these personal photos of Gippy Grewal?". CNN-News18. 20 June 2015. Archived from the original on 2 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- "Gippy Grewal blessed with third son; shares adorable photos of his three children". www.timesnownews.com. 10 December 2019. Archived from the original on 10 December 2019. Retrieved 11 December 2019.
- "Biography". Gippy Grewal. Archived from the original on 19 May 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Sandwell & Birmingham Mela". Express & Star. Archived from the original on 25 July 2018. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- Anand J; Anusha Subramanian (13 November 2011). "Punjab Takes Center Stage With Its Own Hits". Business Today. Archived from the original on 7 January 2019. Retrieved 16 November 2018.
- "Mirza Is The Highest Opening For Punjabi Film". Box Office India Trade Network. Archived from the original on 15 May 2012. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Carry On Jatta Is A Blockbuster". Box Office India Trade Network. Archived from the original on 5 August 2012. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "Die Hard 5 goes Punjabi". Times of India. 28 January 2013. Archived from the original on 17 September 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "'Lucknow Central': A Prison Musical That's Beyond Redemption". Huffingtonpost.in. 20 September 2017. Archived from the original on 29 April 2018. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Carry on Jatta 2 first look is high on bling as Gippy Grewal returns". 16 April 2018. Archived from the original on 11 October 2020. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "Mar Gaye Oye Loko will introduce comedy from Yamlok in Punjabi Cinema – Punjabi Pollywood". Archived from the original on 29 August 2018. Retrieved 25 August 2018.
- "'Manje Bistre 2': Gippy Grewal on a recce for the film – Times of India". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 11 October 2020. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- Kapoor, Diksha (24 February 2020). "Gippy Grewal's Home Production Film 'Maa' Goes On Floor". PTC Punjabi. Archived from the original on 27 February 2020. Retrieved 27 February 2020.
- "Manje Bistre 3: The third installment of the Gippy Grewal starrer to hit the screens in 2021 - Pollywood sequels and threequels to look forward to". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 11 October 2020. Retrieved 14 April 2020.
- "Paani Ch Madhaani: As the movie goes on the floor; Gippy Grewal shares an all smiles BTS picture from the sets". Times of India. 6 October 2020. Retrieved 14 October 2020.
- "Gippy Grewal and Neeru Bajwa starrer 'Phatte Dinde Chakk Punjabi' goes on the floor". Times of India. 27 October 2020.
- "Ardaas 2: The shoot of the Gippy Grewal directorial goes on the floor". Times of India. 15 January 2019. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- "Gippy Grewal wins Entertainer of the year award at PTC Punjabi Music Awards 2014". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 21 April 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Filmfare Award Punjabi 2018 Winners - List of Punjabi Filmfare Award Winners". filmfare.com. Archived from the original on 30 August 2019. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- "PTC Punjabi Film Awards 2019 - Here is the list of Winners". PTC Punjabi. 18 March 2019. Archived from the original on 6 December 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- Baddhan, Raj (31 March 2019). "BritAsia TV Punjabi Film Awards 2019: Winners list". BizAsia | Media, Entertainment, Showbiz, Events and Music. Archived from the original on 5 May 2019. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- Kapoor, Diksha (3 July 2020). "PTC Punjabi Film Awards 2020 Live: Diljit Dosanjh Bags Best Actor, Sonam Bajwa Bags Best Actress, Ardaas Karaan Awarded Best Film". PTC Punjabi. Archived from the original on 29 August 2020. Retrieved 8 September 2020.