Gillian Rose Foulger (born 1952) is a British geologist and academic. She is Professor of Geophysics at Durham University, where she completed her doctorate in 1985. She is one of the leading proponents of alternative models to the established deep mantle thermal plume hypothesis. This work makes an important contribution to the understanding of volcanic and earthquake areas such as the Hawaii, Iceland and Yellowstone hotspots.
|Born||1952 (age 67–68)|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
University of Durham
|Awards||Price Medal (2005)|
|Thesis||Seismological studies at the Hengill geothermal area, S.W. Iceland (1984)|
|Doctoral advisor||Páll Einarsson|
R. E. Long
For her work she was awarded the 2005 Price Medal "for investigations of outstanding merit in solid-earth geophysics, oceanography, or planetary sciences" of the Royal Astronomical Society. That same year she was also made a Fellow of the Icelandic National Academy of Sciences.
- Thatcher, Wayne; Foulger, G. R.; Julian, B. R.; Svarc, J.; Quilty, E.; Bawden, G. W. (12 March 1999). "Present-Day Deformation Across the Basin and Range Province, Western United States". Science. 283 (5408): 1714–1718. Bibcode:1999Sci...283.1714T. doi:10.1126/science.283.5408.1714.
- Foulger, G.R. (2005). Plates, Plumes, And Paradigms. Geological Society of America. p. 881. ISBN 0-8137-2388-4.
- Foulger, G.R. (2007). Plates, Plumes, and Planetary Processes. Geological Society of America. p. 998. ISBN 978-0-8137-2430-0.
- Foulger, G.R. (2010). Plates vs. Plumes: A Geological Controversy. Wiley-Blackwell. p. 364. ISBN 978-1-4051-6148-0.
- "Higher Degrees". Durham University Gazette 1984/85: 106. 1985. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- "Do plumes exist?". Retrieved 2008-02-10.
- Foulger, G.R. (2010). Plates vs. Plumes: A Geological Controversy. Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN 978-1-4051-6148-0.
- "Royal Astronomical Society announces 2005 medals and awards". Archived from the original on 2011-07-16. Retrieved 2008-02-10.
|This biographical article about a British geologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|