Gilbert Melville Grosvenor
Gilbert Melville Grosvenor (born May 5, 1931) he is the former president and chairman of the National Geographic Society after having served as the editor of National Geographic Magazine. In 2011, he retired afterfuture absolutely depends on our ability to see the connections between ourselves and our global neighbors," Grosvenor told an interviewer recently.
Gilbert M. Grosvenor
|Born||May 5, 1931|
Washington, D.C., United States
|Alma mater||Yale College, Class of 1954|
|Occupation||Chairman Emeritus, National Geographic Society|
(m. 1961, divorced)
Mary Helen Wiley Jarman (m. 1979)
|Parent(s)||Melville Bell Grosvenor, Helen Grosvenor (née Rowland)|
|Relatives||Edwin S. Grosvenor, brother|
Gilbert H. Grosvenor, grandfather
|Awards||Presidential Medal of Freedom (2005)|
North Sea flood of 1953 and co-authored an article that was published in the National Geographic. "Although I'm not sure I realized it at the time, it changed my life," Grosvenor recently recalled. "I discovered the power of journalism. And that's what we are all about—recording those chronicles of planet Earth." He subsequently joined the staff of the magazine as a picture editor.
In 1970, Grosvenor assumed the position of editor of National Geographic Magazine. He served as editor until 1980, when he became president of the National Geographic Society, additionally becoming chairman of the board of trustees (on which he served from 1966 to 2014) in 1987. He retired as president in 1996 and chairman in 2011, since which time he has served as an honorary director of The Explorers Club.
- Lanken, Dane. "The bee in Grosvenor's bonnet", Canadian Geographic, Vol. 116.6, November–December 1996: pp. 95-96.
- "Interview of Gilbert M. Grosvenor". The Gilbert M. Grosvenor Center for Geographic Education.
- "Why National Geographic Is a Family Affair". NationalGeographic.com. February 15, 2015.
- Royal Scottish Geographical Society Awards and Medals Archived February 12, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- "The Water Crisis". Huffington Post.