The gigolo is expected to provide companionship, to serve as a consistent escort with good manners and social skills, and often to serve as a dancing partner as required by the woman in exchange for the support. Many gifts such as expensive clothing and an automobile to drive may be lavished upon him. The relationship may include sexual services as well, when he also would be referred to as a "kept man".
The word gigolo may be traced to a first usage in English as a neologism during the 1920s as a back-formation from a French word, gigolette, a woman hired as a dancing partner. Both gigolo and gigolette were first recorded in French in the middle part of the nineteenth century, in reference to dance club denizens in Montmartre who were paid to dance with, and sometimes have sex with, unaccompanied male visitors. In the latter part of the nineteenth century, particularly after the scandalous murder case known in Paris as the Pranzini Affair, the term gigolo took on connotations of the exotic, foreign male whose company and affections could be purchased by well-to-do French women.
In popular cultureEdit
- Gigolo (1926) - American silent romance drama film produced by Cecil B. DeMille
- Just a Gigolo (1931) - American romantic comedy directed by Jack Conway, starring William Haines, Irene Purcell, C. Aubrey Smith and Ray Milland
- The Gigolo (1960) - French romantic drama film written and directed by Jacques Deray. It is loosely based on the novel Le Gigolo written by Jacques Robert
- The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (1961) - British romantic drama film directed by José Quintero and produced by Louis De Rochemont
- Just a Gigolo (1978) - West German film directed by David Hemmings and starring David Bowie
- American Gigolo (1980)- American romantic crime film written and directed by Paul Schrader, and starring Richard Gere, Lauren Hutton & Hector Elizondo
- Galactic Gigolo (1987) - American science-fiction comedy film directed by Gorman Bechard
- Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo (1999) - American sex comedy film directed by Mike Mitchell
- The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (2003) - American television film remake of the 1961 film of the same name. Directed by Robert Allan Ackerman, it stars Helen Mirren, Olivier Martinez, Anne Bancroft and Brian Dennehy
- Deuce Bigalow 2: European Gigolo (2005) American sex comedy film and a sequel to the 1999 film Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo
- The Gigolos (2005) British comedy film directed by Richard Bracewell, starring Sacha Tarter, Trevor Sather Ben Willbond and Susannah York
- A French Gigolo (2008) - French drama film directed by Josiane Balasko and starring Nathalie Baye. It was based on the novel "Cliente" by Josiane Balasko
- Spread (2009) - American sex comedy film directed by David Mackenzie, starring Ashton Kutcher and Anne Heche. It was also released as L.A. Gigolo
- Fading Gigolo (2013) - American comedy film directed, written by, and starring John Turturro, co-starring Woody Allen, Sharon Stone & Sofia Vergara
- The Gigolo (Chinese: 鴨王) (2015) - Hong Kong erotic drama film directed and written by Au Cheuk-man and starring Dominic Ho, Candy Yuen, Jeana Ho, Hazel Tong and Winnie Leung
- The Gigolo 2 (Chinese: 鴨王2) (2016) - Hong Kong erotic comedy film directed by Venus Keung and starring Dominic Ho, Connie Man, Jazz Lam and Iris Chung
- Just a Gigolo - A popular song, adapted by Irving Caesar in 1929 from the Austrian tango "Schöner Gigolo, armer Gigolo",
- The Gigolo - An album by jazz trumpeter Lee Morgan, released in 1966
- American Gigolo - Soundtrack album to the 1980 movie of the same name
- Gigilo (1981) - Dance single released by R&B singer Mary Wells
- Gigolo Aunts - American power pop band, formed in 1981 by Steve Hurley, Dave Gibbs, Phil Hurley, and Paul Brouwer
- Gigolo (The Damned song) (1987) - A single by The Damned
- Gigolo - 2003 song by American rapper Nick Cannon
- Gigolo - 2006 song by Greek singer Helena Paparizou
- Just a Gigolo (1993) - British sitcom starring Tony Slattery
- Gigolos (2011 – present) - American reality television series about the lives of five male escorts in Las Vegas
- "Definition of gigolo". Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- "A man who is kept by a woman"., Word Reference, accessed February 14, 2013.
- Otterman, Sharon, "'Swiss Gigolo' Sentenced to Six Years"., The Lede, March 9, 2009, News, The New York Times, February 14, 2013.
- Dahlkamp,Jürgen, Röbel,Sven, and Smoltczyk, Alexander, "Gigolo Trial: Trial to Begin for Man Who Duped Germany's Richest Woman"., Spiegel Online International, accessed February 14, 2013.
- Freundschuh, Aaron. The Courtesan and the Gigolo: The Murders in the Rue Montaigne and the Dark Side of Empire in Nineteenth-Century Paris (2017, Stanford University Press)
- Chang, Juju; Thompson, Victoria; Harold, Kelly (February 16, 2012). "Secrets of Gigolos: Why More Women Say They Are Willing to Pay for Sex". ABC News Internet Ventures. Retrieved October 19, 2014.