Education and lifeEdit
Patel's poetry works include Poems, first launched by Nissim Ezekiel followed by How Do You Withstand, Body and Mirrored Mirroring. His plays include Princes, Savaksa and Mr Behram.
He held his first show in Mumbai in 1966 that went on to have several major exhibitions in India and abroad. Patel participated in the Menton Biemale, France in 1976. India, Myth and Reality, Oxford in 1982; Contemporary Indian Art, Royal Academy, London 1982. Patel belongs to an avant-garde grouping of artists based in Bombay and Baroda.
Patel has also exhibited for Contemporary Indian Art, Grey Art Gallery, New York City, 1985, Indian Art from the Herwitz collection Worcester Art Museum, Massachusetts, 1985 and Coups de Coeur Geneva, 1987.
He has been conducting a poetry workshop in Rishi Valley School for more than a decade. He edited a collection of poetry which was published in 2006. His poetry is included in Anthology of Contemporary Indian Poetry (BigBridge, United States). One of his Poems "Licence" from the collection How do you Withstand is included in the anthology Confronting Love edited by Arundhati Subramanyam and Jerry Pinto.
Bibliography – poetry in EnglishEdit
- International Who's Who in Poetry 2004. Taylor & Francis, 2003, p. 255
- Holland Cotter (February 24, 2006). "Art in Review; Gieve Patel and Sudhir Patwardhan". The New York Times. Retrieved Feb 1, 2013.
- About Gieve Patel
- Images of Survival and Transcendence: Exhibition Review by Ranjit Hoskote
- In conversation with Arundhathi Subramaniam
- "Anthology of Contemporary Indian Poetry Edited by Menka Shivdasani". BigBridge.Org. Retrieved 9 June 2016.