Gieve Patel (born 18 August 1940) is an Indian poet, playwright, painter, as well as a practicing physician/doctor based in Mumbai. Patel belongs to a group of writers who have subscribed themselves to the 'Green Movement' which is involved in an effort to protect the environment. His poems speak of deep concerns for nature and expose man's cruelty to it. patel's works include poems (1966), How Do You Withstand. Body (197 6) and Mirrored Mirroring (1991). He has also written three plays titled princes, Savaska, and Mr Behram.
Patel was born in 1940 in Mumbai. His parents were from a small village called Nargol in southern Gujarat. He started his education at St. Xavier's High School and Grant Medical College, Mumbai. He lives in Mumbai where he is a general practitioner.
He held his first show in Mumbai in 1966, went on to have several major exhibitions in India and abroad. Patel participated in the Menton Biemale, France in 1976. India, Myth and Reality, Oxford in 1982; Contemporary Indian Art, Royal Academy, London 1982. Patel belongs to an avant-garde grouping of artists based in Bombay and Baroda.
Patel has also exhibited for Contemporary Indian Art, Grey Art Gallery, New York City, 1985, Indian Art from the Herwitz collection Worcester Art Museum, Massachusetts, 1985 and Coups de Coeur Geneva, 1987.
He has been conducting a poetry workshop in Rishi Valley School for more than a decade. He edited a collection of poetry which was published in 2006. His poetry is included in Anthology of Contemporary Indian Poetry (BigBridge, United States). One of his Poems "Licence" from the collection How do you Withstand is included in the anthology Confronting Love edited by Arundhati Subramanyam and Jerry Pinto.
Bibliography – poetry in EnglishEdit
- International Who's Who in Poetry 2004. Taylor & Francis, 2003, p. 255
- Holland Cotter (February 24, 2006). "Art in Review; Gieve Patel and Sudhir Patwardhan". The New York Times. Retrieved Feb 1, 2013.
- Pillai, Pooja (January 15, 2017). "Down the Rabbit Hole". The Indian Express.
- About Gieve Patel
- Images of Survival and Transcendence: Exhibition Review by Ranjit Hoskote
- In conversation with Arundhathi Subramaniam
- "Anthology of Contemporary Indian Poetry Edited by Menka Shivdasani". BigBridge.Org. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Picture of perfection". The Telegraph India. June 6, 2010.