Moscon at the 2016 Nokere Koerse
|Full name||Gianni Moscon|
|Nickname||Il Trattore (The Tractor)|
|Born||20 April 1994|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||69 kg (152 lb)|
|Current team||Team Ineos|
Early life and careerEdit
Team Sky (2016–present)Edit
In September 2015, it was announced that he had signed a professional contract with Team Sky for the 2016 season. This followed a recommendation from Fausto Pinarello, of the company who manufacture the team's bicycles, who had seen Moscon winning amateur races and spoke about him to Sky sport director Dario Cioni.
Moscon recorded his first professional victory at the Arctic Race of Norway when he won the queen stage. He later went on to win the general classification, as well as the youth classification. He was named in the startlist for the 2017 Vuelta a España. In July 2018, he was named in the start list for the 2018 Tour de France.
Racism and suspensionEdit
During the 2017 Tour de Romandie, Moscon racially abused French cyclist Kevin Reza. He was suspended from racing with Team Sky for six weeks. The team indicated that any further behaviour incidents will result in Moscon's contract being terminated.
2017 World ChampionshipsEdit
Moscon was disqualified from the 2017 UCI World Championships Road Race after being towed back to the peloton by the Italian team car following a crash on the penultimate lap. Moscon ultimately bridged to a breakaway with French rider Julian Alaphilippe in the final five kilometers of the race before finishing 29th. Following the race, Moscon was disqualified by race commissaires.
2018 Tour de France incidentEdit
- 4th Overall Giro della Lunigiana
- 1st Piccolo Giro di Lombardia
- 2nd GP Capodarco
- 5th Gran Premio di Poggiana
- 6th Giro del Belvedere
- 8th Coppa della Pace
- 9th Gran Premio Palio del Recioto
- 10th Trofeo Alcide Degasperi
- 1st Road race, National Under–23 Road Championships
- 1st Gran Premio San Giuseppe
- 1st Trofeo Città di San Vendemiano
- 1st Coppa dei Laghi-Trofeo Almar
- 5th Overall Course de la Paix Under–23
- 1st Overall Arctic Race of Norway
- 3rd Overall Settimana Internazionale di Coppi e Bartali
- National Road Championships
- 5th Overall Tour du Poitou Charentes
- 6th Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal
- 7th Overall Tour de Yorkshire
- 8th Nokere Koerse
- National Road Championships
- UCI Road World Championships
- 3rd Giro di Lombardia
- 5th Paris–Roubaix
- 5th Giro dell'Emilia
- 7th Overall Route du Sud
- 7th Tre Valli Varesine
- 1st Time trial, National Road Championships
- 1st Overall Tour of Guangxi
- 1st Coppa Ugo Agostoni
- 1st Giro della Toscana
- 1st Stage 3 (TTT) Critérium du Dauphiné
- 2nd Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana
- 3rd Coppa Sabatini
- 5th Road race, UCI Road World Championships
- 8th E3 Harelbeke
- 8th Trofeo Lloseta–Andratx
- 5th Time trial, National Road Championships
Grand Tour general classification results timelineEdit
|Tour de France||—||—||DSQ||84|
|Vuelta a España||—||27||—||—|
Classics results timelineEdit
|Monuments results timeline|
|Tour of Flanders||77||15||21|
|Giro di Lombardia||—||3|
|—||Did not compete|
|DNF||Did not finish|
- "The rise of Gianni Moscon". Team Sky. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- "Gianni Moscon Profile". Zalf-Euromobil-Désirée-Fior – Official Website. 2015. Archived from the original on 25 September 2015. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- "Team Sky". Cyclingnews.com. Immediate Media Company. Archived from the original on 5 January 2019. Retrieved 5 January 2019.
- "Stock points skyward for Italian Gianni Moscon - VeloNews.com". 17 April 2017.
- "2017 > 72nd Vuelta a España > Startlist". ProCyclingStats. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "2018: 105th Tour de France: Start List". Pro Cycling Stats. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- Benson, Daniel & O'Shea Sadhbh (29 April 2017). "Moscon racially abuses Reza at Tour de Romandie". Cycling News.com. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Dobson, Mark (1 May 2017). "Team Sky suspend Gianni Moscon for six weeks over racial abuse". TheGuardian.com. Guardian News and Media. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- VeloNews.comSeptember 24; 2017 (2017-09-24). "2017 Worlds: Moscon disqualified for 'sticky bottle'". VeloNews.com. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- Ryan, Barry (22 July 2018). "Gianni Moscon disqualified from Tour de France". Cycling News.com. Retrieved 22 July 2018.