Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World is an English anthology edited by Robyn Ochs and Sarah E. Rowley. It is an important book in the history of the modern bisexual rights movement and appears on numerous bisexual and general LGBT reading lists.
Cover of Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World (2nd ed.)
|Author||Robyn Ochs and Sarah E. Rowley|
|Publisher||Bisexual Resource Center|
The book is composed of short essays by 184 predominantly bisexual people ranging in age from 15 to 79 years of different classes, races, and experiences speaking about their lives. The authors are from 42 countries on 6 continents and includes 15 pieces translated into English, primarily from Spanish and Mandarin.
Paula Ettelbrick, Executive Director of the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission said "Getting Bi is one of the most important recent contributions to the global struggle for human rights. By enriching our understanding of bisexuality within so many cultural and geographic contexts, this anthology serves as a magnificent tool for building support and respect for the sexual rights of each one of us."
It is organized into nine themed chapters including "What is Bisexuality?", "Coming Out as Bisexual", "Why Bi? (Coming to Terms)", "Life Stories", "Crossing Lines", "Bi's in Relationships", "Language of Desire", "Bisexual Politics", "Bi Community", and "Bisexual Worlds", with additional sections of brief articles and resource lists.
The first edition came out in 2005; the second and most recent edition came out in 2009.
- "Toranto Bisexual Network:Books". Torontobinet.org. Archived from the original on 2013-12-09. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- 10 Books Every Bisexual Should Read Archived 2008-06-09 at the Wayback Machine. December 21, 2007 Pams House Blend
- "New York Area Bisexual Network: A Literary Life". Nyabn.org. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- "The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Student Support Services Library: Bisexual Voices". Archived from the original on March 17, 2008.
- "Human Rights Campaign: Recommended Books & Media about Bisexuality". Hrc.org. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Dobinson, Cheryl. "Book review". The Fence. Archived from the original on 2012-09-11. Retrieved 2008-03-30.
- Highleyman, Liz Book review Archived 2007-10-12 at the Wayback Machine. August 18th, 2005 Bay Area Reporter
- Grannis, Kathryn Book review July, 2006 Gay & Lesbian Review Worldwide
- "Getting Bi Second Edition" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on September 2, 2009.