Georgy Girl (song)
"Georgy Girl" is a song by the Australian pop/folk music group the Seekers. It was used as the title song for the 1966 film of the same title. Tom Springfield, who had written "I'll Never Find Another You", composed the music and Jim Dale supplied the lyrics. The song is heard at both the beginning and end of the film, with markedly different lyrics (and with different lyrics again from those in the commercially released version). It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song.
|Single by The Seekers|
|from the album Come the Day|
|B-side||"The Last Thing on My Mind" (Europe)|
"When The Stars Begin To Fall" (non-Europe)
|Released||10 October 1966|
|Genre||Pop rock, folk|
|Label||EMI Columbia (DB 8134) (UK)|
EMI Capitol (5756) (US)
|The Seekers singles chronology|
The song became a hit in late 1966 and early 1967, reaching number one in Australia and number three in the United Kingdom. In the United States, it was the Seekers' highest charting single, reaching number one on the Cash Box Top 100. "Georgy Girl" reached number two on the Billboard Hot 100; "I'm a Believer" by The Monkees, kept the song from number one. The song's US success prompted the Seekers' British album Come the Day to be retitled Georgy Girl for its American release.
In 1967, an instrumental version by the Baja Marimba Band reached number 98 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and number 14 on the easy listening chart.
The "Georgy Girl" song and melody appear in a reworked version with new lyrics, in the early 1980's Barbie doll commercials such as Beauty Secrets Barbie and Angel Face Barbie, among others.
- "Top 100 Songs | Billboard Hot 100 Chart". Billboard.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 1967-02-11. Retrieved 2018-12-23.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Georgy Girl". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved December 9, 2018.
- Flavour of New Zealand, 28 April 1967
- "SA Charts 1965–March 1989". Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955–1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- "Cash Box Top 100 2/18/67". tropicalglen.com.
- "RPM Top 100 Singles of 1967". Archived from the original on 2016-08-12. Retrieved 2018-12-22.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1967/Top 100 Songs of 1967". musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- http://tropicalglen.com/Archives/60s_files/1967YESP.html Archived 2018-09-30 at the Wayback Machine Cash Box Year-End Charts: Top 100 Pop Singles, December 23, 1967