George Wang (actor)
George Wang (born Wang Yie, 12 November 1918 – 27 March 2015) was a Taiwanese actor and producer who appeared in a multitude of Italian films.
November 12, 1918
|Died||March 27, 2015 (aged 96)|
Born in Dandong, Liaoning, Wang enrolled the Shanghai drama school China Film Studio in 1938 and the following year he made his film debut in Defending Our Homeland (保家鄉). In 1949, Wang moved to Taiwan, becoming one of the most important stars in the early years of Taiwanese cinema.
At the end of the 1950s he moved to Italy, where he was a very active character actor in genre films, mainly spy films, adventure films and Spaghetti Westerns, being mostly cast in roles of villains. Thanks to his good knowledge of English, he was also active in a number of English language productions, notably appearing in Nicholas Ray's 55 Days at Peking. After portraying Machete, a Mexican antagonist in the 1967 film Taste of Killing, Wang claimed that he was the first Asian actor to play a non-Asian role in a non-Asian country.
In 1976 Wang moved to Hong Kong, where with his son Don he founded the film production company "Wang Film Company". In 1978 he returned to Taiwan and back to acting, winning in 1981 a Golden Horse Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in The Coldest Winter in Peking (皇天后土).
Wang died on 27 March 2015 of heart attack at 96 years old, and he was buried thirteen days after. He received a posthumous presidential citation in recognition of his contributions to Taiwanese cinema.
- E meng chu xing (1951) as Luo Ping
- The Dam on the Yellow River (1960) as Wang (as Wang Jie)
- Mi yue feng bo (1960) as Chin CHun-Hsiung
- The Mongols (1961) as Subodai
- 55 Days at Peking (1963) as Boxer Chief (uncredited)
- The Pirates of Malaysia (1964) as Sho Pa
- 008: Operation Exterminate (1965) as Tanaka
- Spy in Your Eye (1965) as Ming
- The 10th Victim (1965) as Chinese hunter
- James Tont operazione U.N.O. (1965) as Kayo
- The Almost Perfect Crime (1966) as Chinese Driver
- Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs (1966) as Fong (uncredited)
- Taste for Killing (1966) as Ming
- Black Box Affair (1966) as Chinese agent
- Mi vedrai tornare (1966) as Prince Hiro Toyo
- El Cisco (1966) as Capobanda
- Colt in the Hand of the Devil (1967) as El Condor / Capataz
- Scorpions and Miniskirts (1967) as Dr. Kung
- Your Turn to Die (1967) as Chang
- Tepepa (1969) as Mr. Chu
- 36 Hours to Hell (1969) as Major Koshiro
- Have a Good Funeral, My Friend... Sartana Will Pay (1970) as Lee Tse Tung / Peng
- Kill Django... Kill First (1971) as Martinez
- Desert of Fire (1971) as El Marish
- Roma Bene (1971) as Che Fang (uncredited)
- Two Brothers in Trinity (1971) as Chinaman
- La tecnica e il rito (1972, TV Movie) as Hun
- La lunga cavalcata della vendetta (1972) as Ling Fu
- Sotto a chi tocca! (1972) as Koyo the Balls Thrower
- Colt in the Hand of the Devil (1973) as Warner
- Even Angels Eat Beans (1973) as Naka Kata (uncredited)
- The Big Game (1973) as Wong
- The Executioner of God (1973) as Ramon Orea
- Super Fly T.N.T. (1973) as Poker Player #1
- Studio legale per una rapina (1973) as Lino
- They Were Called Three Musketeers ... But They Were Four (1973) as Kungfu Master
- Mr. Hercules Against Karate (1973) as Ming
- Seven Hours of Violence (1973) as a Chinese Thug
- The Fighting Fist of Shanghai Joe (1973) as Master Yang
- Man with the Golden Winchester (1973) as Pedro Garincha
- Six Bounty Hunters for a Massacre (1973) as Ming / Messinas
- Milarepa (1974)
- This Time I'll Make You Rich (1974) as Wang
- Il Sergente Rompiglioni diventa... caporale (1975) as Chang
- Nan quan bei tui zhan yan wang (1977) as Mayor Yuen
- Yuan (1980)
- The Battle for the Republic of China (1981)
- The Coldest Winter in Peking (1981)
- Jing hun feng yu ye (1982)
- I Shall Return (1982)
- Yan wang de xi yan (1982)
- Zui chang de yi ye (1983)
- Hei bai zhu (1983)
- Da Niu Yue hua bu feng yun (1985)
- Ri nei wa de huang hun (1986)
- Jin zai zhi chi (2010) as Ta-Chieh's Grandfather (final film role)
- Ma, Kevin (7 April 2015). "George Wang (1918–2015)". Film Business Asia. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- Lancia, Enrico; Melelli, Fabio (2006). Dizionario del cinema italiano. Attori stranieri del nostro cinema. Gremese. p. 206. ISBN 978-88-8440-425-1.
- Betts, Tom (4 April 2015). "RIP George Wang". Western Boot Hill. Blogspot. Archived from the original on 9 April 2017. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- Han Cheung (21 March 2021). "Taiwan in Time: A Taiwanese actor playing a Mexican villain in Italy". Taipei Times. Retrieved 21 March 2021.
- Chen, Christie (16 April 2015). "Presidential citation to honor late actor Wang Chueh". Central News Agency. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- Yage, Xin (8 April 2015). "Taipei: Catholics remember George Wang, an actor "who knew how to listen"". Asia News. Retrieved 2 April 2020.