This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
George Pattison (born 1950) is an English theologian and Anglican priest. Since 2013, he has been Professor of Divinity at the University of Glasgow. He was previously Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity at the University of Oxford.
|Born||1950 (age 68–69)|
|Church||Church of England|
|Thesis||Kierkegaard's Theory and Critique of Art (1983)|
Early life and educationEdit
Pattison currently holds 1640 Chair of Divinity at the University of Glasgow succeeding Werner Jeanrond who then became Master of St Benet's Hall at the University of Oxford in 2012. Pattison began his professorship at Glasgow in September 2013. In 2017, he gave the Bampton Lectures at the University of Oxford; the series was titled "A Phenomenology of the Devout Life".. These have now been published as first of a three part 'Philosophy of Christian Life' under the same title.  Parts 2 and 3 are entitled A Rhetorics of the Word and A Metaphysics of Love (forthcoming).
Pattison's works range from historical, theological and philosophical engagement with the critical reception of German Idealism in such figures as Søren Kierkegaard, Martin Heidegger and Fyodor Dostoyevsky to theological studies of the aesthetics of film and the visual arts. His latest work has engaged with philosophical notions of ontology, entering into the discussion about whether it is meaningful or helpful to speak of God in terms of "being" subsequent to the re-evaluation of time and language in twentieth century existential phenomenology.
- Art, Modernity and Faith (1991)
- Kierkegaard: the Aesthetic and the Religious (1992)
- Agnosis: Theology in the Void (1996)
- Kierkegaard and the Crisis of Faith (1997)
- The End of Theology and the Task of Thinking about God (1998)
- Anxious Angels (1999)
- The Later Heidegger (2000)
- A Short Course in the Philosophy of Religion (2001)
- Dostoevsky and the Christian Tradition (ed. with D.Thompson, 1991)
- A Short Course in Christian Doctrine (2005)
- The Philosophy of Kierkegaard (2005)
- Thinking about God in an Age of Technology (2006)
- Crucifixions and Resurrections of the Image: Reflections on Art and Modernity (SCM, 2009)
- God and Being (OUP, 2011)
- Pattison, George (1983). Kierkegaard's Theory and Critique of Art: Its Theological Significance (PhD thesis). Durham, England: Durham University. OCLC 15248798.
-  Archived 24 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- "Towards a Phenomenology of the Devout Life". University of Oxford. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "God and Being". Oup.com. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
| Lady Margaret Professor of Divinity
| Professor of Divinity
at the University of Glasgow
|This Anglicanism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a member of the Christian clergy in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Christian theologian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an English theologian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|