George Papadopoulos (policy adviser)(Redirected from George Papadopoulos)
Papadopoulos was born in Chicago, Illinois, to parents who emigrated from Thessaloniki, Greece. Papadopoulos graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Arts & Government from DePaul University in 2009. He received a Master of Science from the University of London in 2010, with another master's degree from the London School of Economics. From March 2011 to September 2015, Papadopoulos worked as a research associate at Hudson Institute. In 2012, he represented the United States at the Model United Nations in Geneva.
Papadopoulos advised Ben Carson's presidential campaign from November 2015 to January 2016. He joined Donald Trump's presidential campaign in May 2016 where he performed similar tasks. Three days after joining Trump's campaign, Papadopoulos sent emails concerning Vladimir Putin to seven campaign officials. Between March and September 2016, he made at least six requests for Trump to meet with Russian politicians, one of which was rejected by Paul Manafort in May. He was interviewed about Russia–United States relations by Interfax in September 2016, in which he said that Barack Obama promised to cooperate with Russia, but that promise did not go through.
In October of 2017, Newsweek reported that Papadopoulos had been chracterized as a "person of interest" by Senator Richard Burr, chair of the Senate panel investigating meddling by Russia in the 2016 US Presidential election.
Since Trump assumed his office as President of the United States, Papadopoulos worked as an independent energy and policy consultant.
- Ryan, Missy; Mufson, Steven (March 22, 2016). "One of Trump’s foreign policy advisers is a 2009 college grad who lists Model UN as a credential". The Washington Post. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- Hamburger, Tom; Leonnig, Carol D.; Helderman, Rosalind S. (August 14, 2017). "Trump campaign emails show aide's repeated efforts to set up Russia meetings". The Washington Post. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- Brennan, Christopher (August 14, 2017). "Trump campaign adviser made repeated attempts to set up meeting with Russia: report". New York Daily News. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- Baygarova, Ksenia (September 30, 2016). "George Papadopoulos: Sanctions have done little more than to turn Russia towards China". Interfax. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- Castro, Danilo (August 14, 2017). "George Papadopoulos: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy.com. Retrieved August 15, 2017.
- Silva, Christianna (20 October 2017). "Russia Update: Senate investigators consider meeting with Trump campaign official, George Papadopoulos". Newsweek. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- Kutner, Max (August 14, 2017). "Who is George Papadopoulos, the Trump Campaign Adviser Who Suggested a Meeting with Russian Leaders?". Newsweek. Retrieved August 15, 2017.