George K. Simon
This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
George K. Simon (born February 1, 1948) is a bestselling author and frequent weblog contributor. His wife, Sherry Simon, Ph.D., is also a professional, living and working in Little Rock.
|George K. Simon|
February 1, 1948 |
|Occupation||Author, Public Speaker|
George K. Simon, Jr., Ph.D. received his degree in clinical psychology from Texas Tech University. He has studied and worked with manipulators, others with disturbed personalities, and their victims for many years. He has given more than 250 workshops and seminars as well as made television and radio appearances on the subject of dealing with manipulative people and other difficult personalities.
Simon's first book, In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People, deals with manipulation. Simon discusses the tactics manipulators use to deceive and get the better of others. The book also offers tips on how to avoid being victimized and how to be more empowered in any relationship.
His latest book, Character Disturbance: the Phenomenon of Our Age, attempts to provide an in-depth, but readily understandable explanation of the most difficult and problematic personalities a person is likely to encounter, as well as practical ways to keep from being victimized by them. The book also advances the perspective that the phenomenon of "neurosis", about which most traditional psychological frameworks are concerned and which was largely an outgrowth of the highly repressive Victorian culture, has faded in both prevalence and intensity in modern times. It asserts that instead, the necessary issue of greater social concern in an era of permissiveness and entitlement is character disorder, which manifests itself not so much in bizarre psychosomatic symptoms, but rather in distorted thinking patterns, problematic attitudes, and irresponsible behaviors, and Simon asserts further that these can neither be adequately understood, nor effectively dealt with, via traditional approaches.
Simon has written numerous articles on character impairment for several popular weblogs, as well as for his own blog, and is the principal composer of the patriotic anthem "America, My Home".
In 1997 Simon appeared on the nationally syndicated The O'Reilly Report that originally aired on the Fox News Channel. In the Interview he discussed his book, In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People. He also has appeared on CBS as well as Arkansas KTHV. Other appearances include, 3-18-97 "AM Focus" WMC NBC-Ch-4 Memphis, 3-28-97 "Metro Monitor" WBRC Fox Ch-6 Birmingham, 4-13-97 "Good Morning Texas" WFAA Dallas, 9-3-96 "Ch 11 Evening News" KTHV, 12-12-96 KTHV Morning Show.
|In Sheep's Clothing||August 2010||First published in 1996 by. A. J. Christopher & Company ISBN 096516960X. Currently, Parkhurst Brothers ISBN 9781935166306|
|Character Disturbance||October 2011||Published by Parkhurst Brothers ISBN 9781935166337|
|The Judas Syndrome: Why Good People Do Awful Things||February 2013||Abingdon Press ISBN 978-1426751097|
- Simon, George. "Dealing with Manipulative People". manipulative-people.com. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Simon, George (2010). In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People. Little Rock: Parkhurst Brothers. p. 176. ISBN 978-1-935166-30-6.
- Simon, George. "Character Disturbance: the phenomena of our age". manipulative-people.com. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Lisa Armstrong (2007-09-16). "dealing with DIFFICULT people: Maumelle author still finds niche for book he wrote 11 years ago". Arkansasonline.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- [dead link][dead link]
- Simon, George (2011). Character Disturbance: The Phenomenon of Our Age. Little Rock: Parkhurst Brothers. p. 256. ISBN 9781935166-33-7.
- George, Simon. "Budding Psychopaths or Immature Characters?". Counselling resource. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120820073943/http://parkhurstbrothers.com/catalog/anthem-for-the-millennium. Archived from the original on August 20, 2012. Retrieved July 11, 2012. Missing or empty
- Dr. George Simon’s interview with Bill O’Reilly (Fox News- the orielly report) on his book In Sheep’s Clothing- Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People « boldcorsic. Theboldcorsicanflame.wordpress.com (2011-11-28). Retrieved on 2012-06-18.
- on YouTube (2008-07-15). Retrieved on 2012-06-18.
- Dr. George Simon interview | Video. todaysthv.com (2012-06-07). Retrieved on 2012-06-18.
- Conversation with Dr. George Simon: Understanding the troubled personality – 48 Hours. CBS News. Retrieved on 2012-06-18.
-  Dr. George K. Simon's official website
-  Parkhurst Brothers Publishing
-  A Book review of "In Sheep's Clothing"
- , on YouTube on The O'Reilly Factor
- Gaslighting as a Manipulation Tactic: what it is, who does it, and why by George Simon, Ph.D. -- a link to an article on the topic of gas-lighting published by Counselling Resource on November 8, 2011
- Gaslighting Revisited: a Closer Look at this Manipulation Tactic by George Simon, Ph.D. -- a link to a follow-up article on the topic of gas-lighting published by Counselling Resource on March 25, 2014