George FitzRoy, 4th Duke of Grafton
George Henry FitzRoy, 4th Duke of Grafton, KG (14 January 1760 – 28 September 1844), styled Earl of Euston until 1811, was a British peer and Whig politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1782 to 1811 when he succeeded to the Dukedom.
The Duke of Grafton
The Duke of Grafton.
|Born||George Henry FitzRoy|
14 January 1760
|Died||28 September 1844 (aged 84)|
Euston, Suffolk, England
|Title||Duke of Grafton|
Lady Charlotte Waldegrave (m. 1784)
|Parents||Augustus FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton|
Euston was the son of Augustus Fitzroy, 3rd Duke of Grafton and his wife Anne Lidell. He was educated at Harrow School and Trinity College, Cambridge, where he became a close friend of the William Pitt the Younger. He married Lady Charlotte Maria Waldegrave (1761–1808), daughter of James Waldegrave, 2nd Earl Waldegrave, on 16 November 1784 at Navestock, Essex.
From 1782-84, Euston was Member of Parliament for Thetford, and in 1784, he and Pitt were elected as MPs for Cambridge University. Euston held that seat until he succeeded his father in the dukedom in 1811. He was appointed a deputy lieutenant of Northamptonshire on 9 May 1803.
Grafton died on 28 September 1844 and was succeeded by his son Henry. He and his wife Charlotte had eleven children:
- Lady Maria (Mary) Anne (1785–1855), married Sir William Oglander, 6th Baronet and had issue.
- Lady Georgiana (1787–1855), unmarried
- Lady Elizabeth Anne (1788–1867), married her first cousin John Henry Smyth and had issue.
- Henry, styled Earl of Euston, later 5th Duke of Grafton (1790–1863)
- Lord Charles FitzRoy (1791–1865), married Lady Anne Cavendish (daughter of George Cavendish, 1st Earl of Burlington) and had issue.
- Lady Isabella Frances (1792–1875), married Henry Joseph St. John (died 1857)
- Lord William FitzRoy (1794–1804)
- Lord Hugh FitzRoy (1795–1797)
- Lord Richard FitzRoy (1798–1798)
- Lord Richard FitzRoy (1800–1801)
- Lord James FitzRoy (1804–1834)
- Matthew Kilburn, ‘Fitzpatrick , Anne, countess of Upper Ossory [other married name Anne FitzRoy, duchess of Grafton] (1737/8–1804)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, Oct 2008 accessed 23 March 2017
- "Fitzroy, George Henry, Lord Euston (FTSY776GH)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "FITZROY, George Henry, Earl of Euston (1760-1844)". History of Parliament Online (1754-1790). Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "No. 15666". The London Gazette. 14 January 1804. p. 63.
- "FITZROY, George Henry, Earl of Euston (1760-1844)". History of Parliament Online (1790-1820). Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- Reynolds, K. D. "FitzRoy, George". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/9634.(Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Grafton
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to George FitzRoy, 4th Duke of Grafton.|
|This biography of a duke or duchess in the peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of Great Britain (1707–1800) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (since 1801), for an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|