George FM is a New Zealand dance music radio station, owned and operated by MediaWorks from Ponsonby Road headquarters and relayed on Freeview and radio frequencies around New Zealand. Its seventy-five regular presenters and additional guest presenters host the station's twenty-four-hour mix of house, breaks, drum and bass, dubstep, electro, soul, downbeat, jazz, funk, indie electronica, hip-hop and other dance and electronica music.
|Broadcast area||New Zealand|
|Owner||MediaWorks New Zealand|
First air date
The network was set up as a volunteer-run low power station based in a Grey Lynn spare bedroom in 1998. It became a commercial station with paid staff by 2003, began to be relayed to other centres in subsequent years, became a Freeview station on 1 May 2008 and was bought out by MediaWorks on 16 February 2009. It continues to retain a laid-back style: news is limited to informal news, weather, traffic and surf reports hourly during breakfast and drive shows and the choice of music and presenting style is entirely that of programme hosts.
It was previously available on low-power frequencies in Whangarei, Rotorua, Taupo, Napier, New Plymouth, Whanganui, Te Anau and Invercargill. The network has retained low-power broadcasts in Hamilton, Tauranga, Palmerston North, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin, and has full-power broadcasts in Nelson and Queenstown.
- More than 100,000 Freeview boxes sold
- "George FM frequency list". Retrieved 18 June 2020.
- "The New Zealand Radio Guide Full Power FM Stations". radioheritage.net. Radio Heritage Foundation. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "About - Home - George FM". georgefm.co.nz. MediaWorks New Zealand. Archived from the original on 17 October 2010. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "About - Home - George FM". georgefm.co.nz. MediaWorks New Zealand. Archived from the original on 12 September 2015. Retrieved 28 December 2015.