|Born||21 September 1923|
|Died||17 April 2020(aged 96)|
|Major racing wins|
Scurry Gold Cup
(1977, 1982, 1983, 1984)
|Three times Greyhound Trainer of the Year|
Curtis started as a kennelhand at Portsmouth Stadium with trainer Bill Peters in 1937 at the age of 14, and received his first National Greyhound Racing Club trainer's licence in 1944. The first classic race success of his career came with Fawn Mack during the 1950 St Leger whilst attached to Park Royal Stadium.
A move to Brighton Stadium from Portsmouth in 1967 catapulted Curtis into continued success, his position at Portsmouth was taken by his brother Charlie. He trained a greyhound in two Derby finals, Hard Held in the 1969 English Greyhound Derby and Sirius in the 1970 English Greyhound Derby. He was propelled to industry fame after training Yankee Express and then national fame as the trainer of world record holder Ballyregan Bob. Curtis retired in 1987 handing the kennels and licence to Bill Masters. Curtis died on 17 April 2020 aged 96.
Curtis won the Greyhound Trainer of the Year three times; in 1983, 1984 and 1986 and the Trainers Championship in 1984. He had the nickname 'Gentleman George' and in 2017 he was given the honour of being named in the Trafalgar Cup title.
- "Ballyregan Bob trainer George Curtis passes away at 96". Brighton & Hove News.
- "GEORGE CURTIS". Greyhound Star.
- Barnes, Julia (1988). Daily Mirror Greyhound Fact File. Ringpress Books. p. 239. ISBN 0-948955-15-5.
- Genders, Roy (1975). The Greyhound and Racing Greyhound. Page Brothers (Norwich). ISBN 0-85020-0474.
- "Greyhound Star (Remember When - April)". Greyhound Star.
- "1967 George Curtis is appointed as a trainer at Brighton". Greyhound Star.
- Dick, Barrie (1990). Greyhound Derby, the first 60 years, pages 129/130/131/132. Ringpress Books. ISBN 0-948955-36-8.
- Dick, Barrie (1990). Greyhound Derby, the first 60 years, pages 133/134/135/136. Ringpress Books. ISBN 0-948955-36-8.
- Barnes/Sellers, Julia/John (1992). Ladbrokes Greyhound Fact File. Ringpress Books. ISBN 0-948955-22-8.
- Hobbs, Jonathan (2002). Greyhound Annual 2003. Raceform. ISBN 1-904317-07-3.
- Genders, Roy (1990). NGRC book of Greyhound Racing, page 313. Pelham Books Ltd. ISBN 0-7207-1804-X.
- "George Curtis Trafalgar Cup at Monmore - an appreciation of a legendary trainer". Greyhound Board of Great Britain.