Moloantoa Geoffrey Makhubo (born 8 February 1968) is a South African politician who is currently serving as the Mayor of Johannesburg. He is a member of the African National Congress and the party's regional chair. During the administration of Parks Tau, he served as the MMC (Member of the Mayoral Committee) for Finance.
|Mayor of Johannesburg|
|Assumed office |
4 December 2019
|Preceded by||Herman Mashaba|
|Regional Chairperson of the African National Congress in Johannesburg|
|Assumed office |
1 July 2018
|Preceded by||Parks Tau|
|Born||8 February 1968|
Soweto, Transvaal Province
|Political party||African National Congress|
Makhubo was born in 1968 in Soweto in the previous Transvaal Province. He obtained a BComm degree from the University of Witwatersrand in 1990. He has also fulfilled many Advanced Management courses.
Makhubo served as the Johannesburg MMC for Finance under the mayoralty of Parks Tau. He has also held leadership roles in the African National Congress's Greater Johannesburg Region. He was the regional treasurer before he became the regional leader in July 2018. He was appointed the caucus leader of the ANC in the city council after the resignation of Parks Tau in May 2019.
On 28 November 2019, the African National Congress announced that it had nominated Makhubo for the position of mayor following the resignation of the Democratic Alliance's Herman Mashaba. He was officially elected to the post on 4 December 2019 after he received 137 out of 268 votes. The DA's Funzela Ngobeni received 101 votes, while the EFF's Musa Novela received 30 votes.
Makhubo enters office under much controversy as he has been accused of gross corruption by both the Economic Freedom Fighters and the Democratic Alliance following a payment of R30 million to his company from Regiments Capital, a firm implicated in the ongoing State Capture inquiries, while he served as Finance MMC.
- "Joburg elects new mayor". eNCA. 4 December 2019. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- Sicetsha, Andile (28 November 2019). "Joburg mayoral election: ANC fields Geoff Makhubo as candidate [video]". The South African. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "Mayor names committee". www.joburg.org.za. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- Mdhluli, Nomsa (1 July 2018). "Goeffrey Makhubo elected ANC's regional chair In Johannesburg". SABC News. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- Head, Tom (4 December 2019). "Geoff Makhubo: CV, qualifications, and scandals of the new Joburg Mayor". The South African. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "Makhubo replaces Parks Tau as Joburg ANC leader". FourwaysReview. 12 July 2018. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- Koko, Khaya (28 November 2019). "ANC nominates Geoff Makhubo to be next Joburg mayor". IOL. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- Mailovich, Claudi (4 December 2019). "ANC regains control of City of Johannesburg". BusinessLIVE. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- Comrie, Susan (3 December 2019). "Geoff Makhubo: Meet Joburg's tainted mayor". News24. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- Mkentane, Luyolo (2 December 2019). "Corruption allegations against ANC mayoral candidate 'still to be discussed'". BusinessLIVE. Retrieved 4 December 2019.