|Type||Translation services via crowdsourcing|
|Founder||Robert Laing |
Gengo was founded in 2008 by Matthew Romaine and Robert Laing. Prior to starting Gengo, Romaine was an audio research engineer and translator with Sony Corporation, and Laing headed Moresided, a UK-based design agency. Romaine thought of the concept for Gengo due to his experience being asked to translate documents in Japanese and English at Sony, despite originally being hired as an engineer. Prior to its early 2012 rebranding, the company was known as "myGengo."
Romaine initially served as CTO of the company. He replaced fellow co-founder Robert Laing as CEO in 2015.
In March 2018, the company launched Gengo AI, an on-demand platform that provides crowdsourced multilingual training data to machine learning developers.
In January 2019, Gengo and Gengo AI were acquired by Lionbridge Technologies and is being rebranded to Lionbridge AI.
The company's initial $750,000 seed investment round concluded in September 2010. Investors included Dave McClure of 500 Startups, last.fm founder Felix Miller, Delicious founder Joshua Schachter, Brian Nelson (CEO at Japan-based ValueCommerce), Pageflakes co-founder Christoph Janz, Benjamin Joffe (CEO at China-based Plus Eight Star), and a number of Japanese angel investors. This was followed by a further seed funding round of around $1,000,000 in mid-2011.
The company announced its $5.4 million Series C round funding in April 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-17. Retrieved 2012-09-26.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) "My Gengo Offers Fast, Reliable (And Low Cost!) Language Translation," SF NewTech, October 18, 2010.
- "Turning Japan's cultural barriers into a startup gold mine". Nikkei Asian Review. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "Tech in Asia - Connecting Asia's startup ecosystem". www.techinasia.com. Retrieved 2018-06-21.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-11-26. Retrieved 2013-10-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "MyGengo Is Mechanical Turk For Translations". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- "myGengo's New API Lets You Plug Human Translation Into Websites And Apps – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-03.
- "Crowdsourced Translation Startup Gengo Raises $5.4M And Changes Its CEO – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-04-05.
- "Human Translation Platform myGengo Raises $5.25 Million From Atomico, 500 Startups – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-03.