Genesee Brewing Company
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Genesee Brewing Company (// JEN-ə-see) is an American brewery located along the Genesee River in Rochester, New York. In 1878, Genesee Brewing Company moved up into Rochester. From 2000 to 2009, the company was known as the High Falls Brewing Company. In 2009, High Falls was acquired by the capital investment firm KPS Capital. Together with also newly acquired Labatt USA, KPS merged the two companies as North American Breweries. Along with this change, High Falls Brewery changed its name back to the original "Genesee Brewing Company" operating under the North American Breweries name. In October 2012, North American Breweries was purchased by FIFCO
|Location||445 Saint Paul Street, Rochester, New York, 14605|
|Annual production volume||2 million US beer barrels (2,300,000 hL) in 2014|
|Owned by||North American Breweries|
|Divisions||Dundee Brewing Company, Honey Brown, Seagram's, Imperial, Labatt Blue Lime, Rock Wall Brewing, Contract Business|
In 2012, North American Breweries was the sixth-largest brewing company in America by sales volume.
The Aqueduct Spring Brewery, the first brewery located in Rochester, New York, opened in 1819 and closed in 1844. In 1857, Rau & Reisky Brewery, later changed to Reisky & Spies, was established. In 1878, Reisky & Spies was purchased and renamed as the Genesee Brewery. In 1933, after the repeal of Prohibition, the company was reopened as the Genesee Brewing Company.
In December 1984, it purchased the Fred Koch Brewery of Dunkirk, New York. At the time The Fred Koch Brewery was owned by Vaux Breweries of Sunderland, England. In the previous year Koch sold about 55,000 barrels of beer, compared with Genesee's 3.2 million. Genesee transferred the brewing of Koch's brands to Rochester which it continued through the 2000s.
High Falls Brewing CompanyEdit
In 2000, the company was sold to an employee investment group, and the company's name was changed to High Falls Brewing Company. In 2007, Norman Snyder was named CEO of the company, and announced a change in the Genesee brand labeling, which highlights a more classic look. The company also unveiled a new corporate website and increased marketing of the Genesee brand of beers.
Sale to North American BreweriesEdit
In June 2009, North American Breweries announced that the name of the brewery would be changed back to Genesee Brewing Company to reflect the company's long history.
In October 2012, it was purchased by FIFCO in an all-cash deal for $338 million. Cerveceria is a brewery located in San Jose, Costa Rica. The company’s product portfolio includes beer, bottled water, natural fruit drinks, juices and other beverages. The new owner stated that "The workforce, the current leadership, the current operation will remain as they have been."
Genesee Cream AleEdit
Dundee Ales & LagersEdit
In 1994, Genesee introduced J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown, which has proven to be one of their most popular brews. It won a Gold Medal at the 1994 World Beer Cup. In 2006, High Falls added two new beers to the J.W. Dundee's family, J.W. Dundee's American Pale Ale and J.W. Dundee's American Amber Lager. In June 2008, the company announced a re-branding of the J.W. Dundee line, which is now called Dundee Ales and Lagers.
Along with the formation of North American Breweries, Genesee purchased all of the brand rights to Seagram's Escapes Flavored Coolers in the US. Seagram's Escapes are part of the Flavored Malt Beverage category and provide a variety of flavored alcoholic beverages. As of November 2009, all Seagram's Escapes are produced out of the Rochester-based facility.
Rock Wall Brewing Co.Edit
In late 2010, Genesee Brewing developed a new product line under the Rock Wall brewing name. Rock Wall Brewing produces a high alcohol malt liquor product, known as Dog Bite High Gravity.
Genesee had an exclusive contract to import Cerveza Imperial from Costa Rica before its 2012 acquisition by Cerveceria Costa Rica.
Genesee owns the U.S. import rights to Labatt Brewing Company's beers, which originate from Canada. Labatt products are brewed by Anheuser-Busch InBev, but Anheuser Busch InBev cannot produce or distribute the brand in the United States because it is popular enough in Western New York to raise antitrust problems, prompting the company to contract with Genesee for U.S. distribution of the brand.
This section does not cite any sources. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Genesee is also a regional brewer for Mike's Hard Lemonade and other malt beverage products, with Genesee Brewing Company producing almost all of the Mike's sold to the east coast market.
Sainsbury's American Pale Ale and Tap Room IPA in the UK are brewed by the Genesee Brewery under the pseudonym Tap Room Brewing Co,. These are 5.3% and 6.3% ABV own branded beers under their "Taste the difference" label.
- Cazentre, Don (2014-04-22). "Utica's F.X. Matt Brewing (Saranac) plans to expand, add capacity to make more beer". The Post-Standard. Syracuse, New York. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
...and the Genesee Brewing Co. in Rochester, which makes about 2 million barrels a year but has room to grow to 3 million or more.
- "Brewers Association Releases Top 50 Breweries of 2012" (Press release). Brewers Association. 10 April 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Genesee Beer history Archived 2012-11-25 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 7 January 2012
- "Genesee Buys Koch Brewery". The Journal-Register (Medina, NY). 31 December 1984.
- http://democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070609/BUSINESS/706090338/-1/archive2[dead link]
- http://www.13wham.com/content/localbusiness/story/Rochester-Brewery-Now-Belongs-to-KPS-What-s-Next/H9FhV-SkyUmQd1Cjda8mCQ.cspx[permanent dead link]
- Genny's back 'Democrat and Chronicle' Retrieved December 4, 2013
- Genesee Brewing's parent is sold to company in Costa Rica DemocratandChronicle.com. Retrieved 2012 November 2.
- "The History Of The Genesee Brewing Company". History.rochester.edu. Archived from the original on February 26, 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- Labatt USA expects no changes to flow from sale of parent company Buffalo News Retrieved October 9, 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Genesee Brewing Company.|
- Genesee Brewing Company Official site
- The Genesee Brewery Official Facebook page
- Genesee page on "Kegworks"
- High Falls Brewing Company on RocWiki. Retrieved 2012 November 4.
- The FoamingHead's Genesee Brewing Company Page
- RateBeer: Genesee Brewing Company
- Seven kings Brewery