Geetha Govindam is a 2018 Indian Telugu language romantic comedy film written and directed by Parasuram, produced by Bunny Vasu under the banner of GA2 Pictures. The film stars Vijay Devarakonda and Rashmika Mandanna, while Subbaraju, Rahul Ramakrishna, and Nagendra Babu play supporting roles.
Theatrical release poster
|Produced by||Allu Aravind|
|Starring||Vijay Deverakonda |
|Music by||Gopi Sunder|
|Edited by||Marthand K. Venkatesh|
|Distributed by||Geetha Arts|
|Box office||est. ₹130 Crore|
Released on 15 August 2018, the film is a huge commercial success. Though critics felt that it was a "tried and tested story," the film received praise for its direction, performances, and production values.
Vijay meets Nithya on the road at night, where he is sitting alone and sad. Nithya's car breaks down and she asks him for help, he says only if she gives him alcohol and if she will listen to his story. Seeing him as a non-alcoholic, she asks if it is a love story. To which he tells her his story.
During a visit to a temple, Vijay comes to know that the decorations were all done by a girl named Geetha. He discovers that the girl is unmarried and is immediately attracted to her. Before he can pursue her, he comes to know that his sister's engagement is fixed and leaves for his town Kakinada. Coincidentally, Geetha is his co-passenger on the bus, occupying the window seat beside him. While trying to take a selfie with Geetha, who was sleeping, Vijay accidentally kisses her. She wakes up and feels violated, and slaps Vijay. Vijay keeps apologizing profusely and tries to explain Geetha. But however, she does not listen to him and calls her brother to tell him about the incident. Geetha's brother Phaneendra, after knowing about misbehaviour done with Geetha, gets ready with his henchmen at Kakinada station to kill the boy, in front of the temple. Phaneendra is accompanied by police officer Ravi. Vijay freaks out and in a fight with Geetha and jumps off from the bus.
When he comes home, he is shocked to find that his sister Sirisha is engaged to Phaneendra, Geetha's brother. However, during the function, Geetha does not rat Vijay out to her family as the boy from the bus. Vijay and Geetha are then paired to invite wedding guests in Hyderabad. Vijay throughout their time together repeatedly apologises for his behaviour, but Geetha doesn't accept his apology.
Meanwhile, Vijay works as a lecturer where one of his students is romantically interested in him. When he refuses her advances in public, she sends him a video to seduce him. The message is sent while Geetha is in the car with Vijay and she sees the video. Geetha accuses Vijay of being cheap and when Vijay tries to defend himself, she still does not believe him, and assumes that Vijay's family may also be cheap. This argument leads to Vijay asking Geetha to get out of the car and get to her hostel on her own. However, he later goes to check if she has arrived at her hostel safely.
When Geetha and Vijay are distributing invitation cards, Vijay stays in the car while Geetha goes and gives the card. When she enters the house and talks to the lady there, she sees the girl from the video leaving the house to which she finds out is the lady's daughter. Geetha tries to mention how Vijay might be taking advantage of her daughter, to which the lady says that Vijay was innocent. In fact, after the daughter had send the video, he had come to their house and talked to them. Once Geetha realises his innocence, she is impressed by his actions and how he handled the situation. Therefore, she falls in love with Vijay.
Meanwhile Phaneendra is actively looking for the boy who misbehaved with his sister on the bus. However, since falling in love with Vijay, Geetha tells her brother the whole truth and they both go back home to focus on Phaneendra's wedding.
Suddenly Phaneendra's grandfather has a heart attack. Their grandmother, fearing that her husband might not be alive to see Geetha's marriage, forces everyone to get Geetha married on the same day as Phaneendra. Phaneendra suggests Vijay's name for marriage and Geetha happily accepts. Vijay, unaware of Geetha's feelings, turns down the proposal, saying he wanted his wife to have him as the only option, not as a choice. Geetha's marriage then gets arranged to another suitor. Later Vijay feeling guilty, confesses to Phaneendra about his encounter with Geetha on the bus and Phaneendra reveals that Geetha had already told him about it. He then goes onto say for Geetha, Vijay was not a choice but the only option. Vijay rushes to Geetha, talks to her and she finally confesses her love for him. However, she still plans to marry the already arranged suitor. That's when the flashback ends and Nithya proceeds to advise him on what to do as the wedding is happening in the next hour or so.
In the middle of the wedding rituals, Vijay mounts the marriage dais, stops the priest's chants and asks Phaneendra to stand. He falls at Phaneendra's feet in front of everyone and decides not to let go until Phaneendra gives in and agrees to let him marry Geetha. Geetha and Phaneendra agree and they marry.
Meanwhile, through misinformation fed to Geetha's suitor Kishore by one of Vijay's friends, that Vijay's family doesn't have enough dowry for Sirisha's wedding and therefore Vijay is forced to marry Geetha ,the suitor assumes all the fuss was about Vijay and his family not having enough dowry for Vijay's sister's marriage to Phaneendra. He leaves the dais angrily while Vijay is at Phaneendra's feet. He returns with the police to have the family arrested for demanding dowry. However, they realize the whole situation and leave.
As the credits start rolling, Geetha and Vijay are seen to be travelling on a bus, Vijay kisses a sleeping Geetha on the cheek and she slaps him. Shocked, Vijay again begs for her forgiveness, but Geetha lovingly proceeds to kiss him.
- Vijay Deverakonda as Vijay Govind
- Rashmika Mandanna as Geetha
- Subbaraju as Phaneendra, Geetha's brother
- Mouryani as Sirisha, Govind's sister
- Rahul Ramakrishna as Ramakrishna, Govind's friend
- Vennela Kishore as Kishore, Geetha's bridegroom
- Naga Babu as Govind's father
- Annapoorna as Geetha's grandmother
- Giri Babu as Geetha's grandfather
- Kalyani Natarajan as Neelu's mother and Geetha's MD
- Aneesha Dama as Neelu
- Abhay Bethiganti as Govind's friend
- Ravi Prakash as Ravi, a police officer
- Chitram Seenu as Taxi driver
- Gautam Raju as Police officer
- Duvvasi Mohan as Priest
- Nithya Menon in a special appearance as Nithya
- Anu Emmanuel in a special appearance as Girl in Bus Stop
- Kaveri as Govind's mother (Uncredited Cameo Appearance)
- Prabhas Sreenu in a cameo appearance in the song "What the Life"
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||21 June 2018|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Gopi Sundar chronology|
|Singles from Geetha Govindam|
The soundtrack of the film was composed by Gopi Sundar. Actor Vijay Deverakonda, made his singing debut through this film. The makers unveiled the first single "Inkem Inkem Inkem Kaavaale" on 7 June 2018. The song upon its release, its lyrical video crossed 1 million views in YouTube. Within a day after its release, the song received few covers, including a reprise version and a dubsmash. The soundtrack album features six tracks, including the first single being released. Lyrics for the songs were written by Ananta Sriram, Sri Mani and Sagar. The album was released on 21 June 2018, at an event held at JRC Convention Centre, Film Nagar, Hyderabad, with Allu Arjun becoming the chief guest. The jukebox which was released in YouTube and other platforms during the launch, received 1 million views upon release.
The soundtrack album received positive reviews from music listeners and audiences, with the songs "Inkem Inkem", "Yenti Yenti" and "Vachindamma" being praised. The song "What the Life" sung by Vijay Devarakonda, received applause from youngsters, hailing it as "youth anthem". The sneak peek of the song, earlier titled "What the F" which was released before the audio launch, featured behind-the-scenes footage, with choreography by Jani. However, it received backlash due to the objectionable lyrics, prompting the makers to change the title, to "What The Life". The initial video being deleted from YouTube.
Writing for The Times of India, Neetishta Nyayapati stated "The album of ‘Geetha Govindam’ as a whole offers three strong songs and two subpar ones. ‘Inkem Inkem’, ‘Yenti Yenti’ and ‘Vachindamma’ remain our favourites in this album, offering a softness and authenticity the last two numbers of the album don't. This one's definitely a worthwhile listen for this weekend." Indiaglitz gave the album 3 out of 5 and stated "'Inkem Inkem' and 'Yenti Yenti' stand apart in the album. Excellent lyrics make it a worthy output. Gopi Sundar fares decently, over all." 123Telugu stated "So much was expected of Geetha Govindam’s album after Inkem Inkem became a rage. Gopi Sundar’s composition of romantic numbers is great, but the other two numbers are just okay. Inkem Inkem, Yenti Yenti, and Vacchindamma are our picks and looks like they are enough to lift the film during its release time." Moviecrow gave 3 out of 5 and summarised "Gopi Sundar regains his mojo partially with Geetha Govindam and Sid Sriram shines with the two brilliant tracks." Milliblog commented "Gopi seems to be finding his mojo in Telugu again." Siddhartha Toleti of Mirchi9 commented "Geetha Govindam is a pleasant and instantly likeable album with one huge blockbuster single. Parasuram continues to maintain his status as a director with good musical taste."
|1.||"Inkem Inkem Inkem Kaavaale"||Ananta Sriram||Sid Sriram||4:27|
|2.||"What the Life"||Sri Mani||Vijay Deverakonda||3:03|
|3.||"Yenti Yenti"||Sri Mani||Gopi Sundar, Chinmayi||2:34|
|4.||"Vachindamma"||Sri Mani||Sid Sriram||4:10|
|5.||"Kanureppala Kaalam"||Sagar||Gopi Sundar||2:42|
|6.||"Tanemandhe Tanemandhe"||Ananta Sriram||Anurag Kulkarni||1:35|
Upon the announcement of the film's title, the makers announced that the film will be scheduled to release on August. Later on mid-May 2018, the makers confirmed the release date as 15 August 2018. The film was premiered on US, on 14 August, a day before the actual release. The film received U/A certificate from the Indian Censor Board. Geetha Govindam fetched ₹15 crore (US$2.1 million), from its theatrical rights.
Sangeetha Devi Dundoo of The Hindu wrote "Parasuram avoids the melodramatic tropes. Gopi Sundar's music works beautifully for the narrative, with Sid Sriram's Inkem Inkem Inkem Kaavale growing into a new earworm. The welcome humour through Vennela Kishore, Rahul Ramakrishna and Abhay Betiganti also adds a touch of smartness".The Times of India gave 3.5 out of 5 stars stating "Geetha Govindam has some good humour, fine music and a wonderful lead pair".The Indian Express gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "What's refreshing about writer-director Parasuram's approach to this romantic-comedy is the way he has handled the leading man".
Hindustan Times gave 3.5 out of 5 stars stating "Geetha Govindam is not about universe conspiring to bring you close to your loved ones, it is about how coincidences can come to bite your behind".Idlebrain.com gave 3.25 out of 5 stars stating "Geetha Govindam has predictability attached to it. What works for the film are characterizations and performances by lead characters. Writer and director Parasuram writes an engaging screenplay and interesting characterizations. Some of the scenes appear routine, but he makes it up with screenplay".Great Andhra gave 3.25 out of 5 stars stating "Geetha Govindam is quite old, oft-seen. When the plot is not new, screenplay and actors should do the magic. That is what director Parasuram does with the film".
Firstpost gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Geetha Govindam, despite its flaws, is a film that gets most things right associated with its genre. It's also a welcome departure for Deverakonda from Arjun Reddy, and proof of the fact that he's no 'one hit wonder' and still has it in him to deliver".India Today gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Geetha Govindam does not have an exceptional story that will make you say 'wow' from the word go. It's the same boy-meets-girl-and-how-they-fall-in-love-with-each-other story. But director Parasuram makes Geetha Govindam interesting with his clever writing".IndiaGlitz gave 3.25 out of 5 stars stating "Geetha Govindam tells an atypical story using a regular format. And it works. Parusuram enlivens the proceedings by infusing comedy at almost every step. Vijay Deverakonda and Rashmika elevate the film with their splendid performances".
Awards and nominationsEdit
- BBFC. "Geetha Govindam". www.bbfc.co.uk. Retrieved 15 February 2021.
- "Geetha Govindam is a small budget movie that is made on a shoe-string budget of ₹5 crore". ibtimes.co.in. Retrieved 23 August 2018.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. "Geetha Govindam total box office collection: Area-wise distributors' earnings, theatrical rights prices". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Imaikkaa Nodigal leads TN box-office for second consecutive weekend; Geetha Govindam continues its rise- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 11 September 2018. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (15 August 2018). "Geetha Govindam review: 'Vijay-Rashmika's romance, comedy only saving grace in this routine film'". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 3 May 2020.
- "Vijay Deverakonda turns singer for his upcoming film with Rashmika Mandanna 'Geetha Govindam' - Times of India". The Times of India. 18 June 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "'Geetha Govindam' first single 'Inkem Inkem Inkem Kaavaale' to be unveiled on June 7 - Times of India". The Times of India. 5 June 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Vijay Deverakonda and Rashmika Mandanna's first single from 'Geetha Govindam' rakes in 1M views in no time! - Times of India". The Times of India. 8 June 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "'Geetha Govindam': Allu Arjun to be the chief guest at film's audio launch - Times of India". The Times of India. 19 June 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- Ratda, Khushboo (19 June 2018). "Allu Arjun to be the chief guest at Vijay Deverakonda's Geetha Govindam audio launch". Pinkvilla. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Vijay Deverakonda's Geetha Govindam Songs Jukebox". www.moviecrow.com. 21 June 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Geetha Govindam jukebox crosses over 1 million views on YouTube - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Vijay Deverakonda's 'What The F' from 'Geetha Govindam' hailed by fans as a "youth anthem" - Times of India". The Times of India. 20 June 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Vijay Deverakonda's 'What The F' song from 'Geetha Govindam' changed to 'What The Life' - Times of India". The Times of India. 24 June 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Geetha Govindam makers likely to re-record 'What The F' song with new singer; release on 15 August - Entertainment News , Firstpost". Firstpost. 28 June 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Geetha Govindam makers withdraw Vijay Deverakonda's song after facing objection from 'religious factions' - Entertainment News , Firstpost". Firstpost. 25 June 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Music Review: Geetha Govindam - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Geetha Govindam Music review songs lyrics". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Music Review : Geetha Govindam – Only for romantic numbers". 123telugu.com. 22 June 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Geetha Govindam Songs - Music Review". www.moviecrow.com. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Geetha Govindam (Music review), Telugu – Gopi Sundar by Milliblog!". Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- Toleti, Siddartha (22 June 2018). "Geetha Govindam Music Review: One Blockbuster-Rest Hummable". mirchi9.com. Retrieved 8 July 2020.
- "Vijay Deverakonda's Geetha Govindam set for an August release - Times of India". The Times of India. 7 May 2018. Retrieved 9 July 2020.
- "Vijay Deverakonda and Rashmika Mandanna's 'Geetha Govindam' gets a release date! - Times of India". The Times of India. 23 May 2018. Retrieved 9 July 2020.
- "Geetha Govindam: Vijay Deverakonda, Rashmika Mandanna-starrer to release on 15 August - Entertainment News , Firstpost". Firstpost. 28 July 2018. Retrieved 9 July 2020.
- "'Geetha Govindam' gets U/A certificate - Times of India". The Times of India. 6 August 2018. Retrieved 9 July 2020.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (14 August 2018). "Geetha Govindam pre-release business: Vijay starrer fetches record prices for theatrical rights". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 9 July 2020.
- "'Geetha Govindam' review: The good guy takes over". The Hindu. 15 August 2018. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Geetha Govindam Review". The Times of India. 1 September 2018. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Geetha Govindam movie review: Vijay Deverakonda starrer is a charming romantic comedy". The Indian Express. 16 August 2018. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Geetha Govindam movie review: Vijay Deverakonda, Rashmika Mandanna will win you over in this rom-com". Hindustan Times. 15 August 2018. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Geetha Govindam jeevi review". Idlebrain.com. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "'Geetha Govindam' Review: Total Paisa Vasool". Great Andhra. 15 August 2018. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Geetha Govindam movie review: Vijay Deverakonda's performance proves he is not a one hit wonder". Firstpost. 15 August 2018. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Geetha Govindam Review: Vijay Deverakonda shines in fun entertainer". India Today. 15 August 2018. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Geetha Govindam Review". IndiaGlitz. 16 August 2018. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Tollywood's first and biggest Awards event of the Year on Zee Telugu". Zee News. 25 January 2019. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "SIIMA Awards 2019: Here's a complete list of nominees". The Times of India. 19 July 2019. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "SIIMA 2019 (South Indian International Movie Awards) on 15th & 16th August in Doha, Qatar". Tollywood.net. 18 July 2019. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Nominations for the 66th Filmfare Awards (South) 2019". Filmfare. Retrieved 20 December 2019.
- "Winners of the 66th Filmfare Awards (South) 2019". Filmfare. Retrieved 22 December 2019.