Geert Adriaans Boomgaard
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Geert Adriaans Boomgaard
Boomgaard in 1888, at age 100
|Born||23 September 1788|
|Died||3 February 1899|
(aged 110 years, 135 days)
Little is known about Boomgaard's life: he was born in Groningen, Netherlands. His parents were Adriaan Jacobs Boomgaard (1763–1844) and Geesje Geerts Bontekoe (1762–1834). His father was captain on a boat, and civil records say that Geert had the same job.[non-primary source needed] In addition to captaining a boat, other sources say that he also served as a soldier in the 33rd Light Infantry Regiment in Napoleon's Grande Armée.
At the age of 29, on 4 March 1818, he married Stijntje Bus (baptized 19 February 1797 – died 24 March 1830). Stijntje died aged 33, a month after the birth of their 8th child. A year later, on 17 March 1831, Boomgaard married Grietje Abels Jonker (baptized 19 May 1793 – 18 May 1864), with whom he had four more children, for a total of 12.
He survived all his children: his last surviving child, Jansje Hinderika, died at the age of 57 in May 1885.
This section does not cite any sources. (June 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
On 8 January 1897, Boomgaard surpassed the final age of Belgian Pierre Darcourt (108 years and 108 days) to become the oldest man ever, and by 10 April 1898, he was older than Swedish woman Kirsti Skagen, therefore making him the oldest ever verified person at that time.
He died at the age of 110 years and 135 days. The first female supercentenarian was Margaret Ann Neve—who surpassed Adriaans’ final age—although his lifespan as the longest ever lived male was not surpassed until 29 October 1966, by John Mosely Turner.
- Baptismal certificate 23 September 1788 Groningen Martinikerk. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Table A – Verified Supercentenarians (Listed Chronologically By Birth Date)". Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- Gerontology Research Group
- "NOORDER RONDBLIK Geert A. Boomgaard uit Groningen werd het oudst van alle Nederlanders" (in Dutch). 3 April 1982. Retrieved 14 March 2019 – via Groninger archieven.
- "Akte – Groninger Archieven". www.wiewaswie.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- Derniers vétérans de l'Armée napoléonienne, Premier Empire (in French)