Gazi University (Turkish: Gazi Üniversitesi) is a public university primarily located in Ankara, Turkey. It was established in 1926 by Mustafa Kemal Atatürk as Gazi Teacher Training Institute. In 1982, it was reorganized by merging with the Bolu Academy of Engineering and Architecture, Ankara Academy of Economics and Commercial Sciences, the Ankara College of Technical Careers, the Ankara Girls' College of Technical Careers, and the Ankara State Academy of Engineering and Architecture to become a large metropolitan university as part of the act which created the Board of Higher Education. Prior to 1982 when the Board of Higher Education Law came into effect, institutes of higher education in Turkey were organized under different structures as universities, academies, institutes, and schools. In 1992 faculties and vocational schools in Bolu became Abant Izzet Baysal University.
Gazili olmak ayrıcalıktır
Motto in English
|Being a member of Gazi is a privilege.|
|Regional – Overall|
|QS Emerging Europe and Central Asia||71 (2022)|
Gazi University comprises 21 faculties, 4 schools, 11 vocational schools of higher education, 52 research centers and 7 graduate institutes. The student enrollment of Gazi University has reached approximately 77,000 in total of whom about 1,500 come from the Turkic states of Central Asia. Five thousand students are enrolled in graduate programmes. The total size of the teaching faculty exceeds 3,000 persons.
Gazi University was ranked 6th by URAP Turkish University Rankings in 2021. URAP also ranked Gazi in the fourth place in "Engineering" and "Technology" subjects in Turkey. According to CWUR, Gazi is ranked 844 in 2022 World University Rankings. In QS Rankings Gazi was placed between 801-1000 category in 2021. In QS Rankings 2022, Gazi is ranked 21st in education subject worldwide and ranked 1st in Turkey in the same subject. In RUR 2022 Gazi is ranked 653rd in World University Rankings.
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Fine Arts
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Sciences
- Faculty of Technical Education
- Faculty of Technology
- Gazi Faculty of Education
- Industrial Arts Education Faculty
- Graduate School of Educational Sciences
- Graduate School of Fine Arts
- Graduate School of Health Sciences
- Graduate School of Informatics
- Graduate School of Research and Prevention of Accidents
- Graduate School of Sciences
- Graduate School of Social Sciences
- School of Banking and Insurance
- School of Foreign Languages
- School of Land Registry and Cadastre
- School of Physical Education and Sport
- Ankara Vocational School
- Atatürk Vocational School
- Beypazari Technical Sciences Vocational School
- Distance Education/Learning Vocational School
- Gazi Vocational School
- Ostim Vocational School
- Polatlı Vocational School of Social Sciences
- Vocational School of Health Services
- Vacational School of Land Registry and Cadastre
- Vocational School of Law
- Vocational School of Public Finance
The rector of Gazi University is Musa Yıldız.
Gazi University is a city-university which has a multitude of campuses around Ankara, the capital city of Turkey. Its main campus is situated in Beşevler.
The university's campuses are almost directly inside the city, which makes it easier to find houses to live and centers for shopping, for students. There are many activities at these campuses for students, such as the Spring Festival, free concerts, opening concerts, sports tournaments, theatre performances and performances by student clubs as well as scientific and cultural seminars.
Gazi University Central LibraryEdit
Gazi University library has 150,000 books, 62,000 bound periodicals, and 10,000 master theses. The library subscribes to 700 periodicals in foreign languages and 600 in Turkish, and provides access to 20,000 on-line journals and 30 on-line databases. Collections are predominantly in Turkish, English and German. Library orientation programs are organized for new Gazi students.
Turkey's third face transplant, a partial face transplant, was performed on March 17, 2012, on Hatice Nergis, a twenty-year-old woman, at the university's hospital by a team led by surgeon Selahattin Özmen. The patient from Kahramanmaraş had lost her upper jaw six years prior, including mouth, lips, palate, teeth and nasal cavity by a firearm accident, and was unable to eat. She had undergone in the past around 35 reconstructative plastic surgery operations. The donor was a 28-year-old woman in Istanbul, who committed suicide.
Alumni (including graduates of former colleges)Edit
- Abbas Güçlü - Journalist, writer, TV programmer, educator
- Abdullatif Sener - Associate Professor of Finance, former Parliament deputy, former Deputy Prime Minister, Finance Minister and former founder of Turkey Party
- Adnan Binyazar - Author, critic, educator
- Ahmet Telli - Writer and educator
- Ali Palabıyık - Football referee and teacher
- Aziz Yıldırım - Businessman, civil engineer and former president of Fenerbahçe Sports Club
- Bekir Küçükay, guitar player
- Beşir Göğüş - M.E.B. Chief Inspector, critic
- Biket İlhan - Cinema producer, director, founder of Sinevizyon film company, director
- Bülent Bezdüz - State Opera and Ballet lead soloist, 2 Grammy award-winning musician
- Cemil Demirbakan Musician, former soloist of the Yüksek Sadakat group
- Coşkun Ertepınar - Poet, M.E.B. inspector and counselor
- Çiğdem Batur - Actor, voice actor, presenter
- Devlet Bahçeli - Politician, economist, Milliyetçi Hareket Partisi leader and former deputy prime minister
- Emin Özdemir - Academic, linguist and literary researcher
- Erman Toroğlu - Former football player, football commentator
- Fakir Baykurt - Author, trade unionist
- Fatih Uraz - Manager, former professional football player
- Ferman Akgül - Rock artist, soloist of the MaNga band
- Fikret Bila - Journalist, presenter, former TCA auditor
- Hasan Hüseyin Korkmazgil - Poet and humorous story writer
- İbrahim Melih Gökçek - Former Ankara Mayor, journalist
- İlhan Berk - Poet, translator, writer, teacher
- İnci Aral - Story and novel writer
- İsmail Altınok - Painter, writer, instructor
- İsmail Küçükkaya - Journalist, news presenter, writer
- Kamer Genç - Deputy of Republican People's Party, former Council of State Investigation Judge and Council of State Prosecutor
- Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu - Bureaucrat, Chairman of the Republican People's Party
- Kemal Unakıtan - Former Minister of Finance
- Kenan Işık - Actor, presenter, main news presenter, former journalist
- Metin Yurdanur - Sculptor
- Mustafa Balel - translator, story and novel writer
- Mustafa Erdoğan - Artistic director, journalist
- M. Rifat Hisarcıklıoğlu - President of the Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey
- Naim Süleymanoğlu - Professional weightlifter
- Nihat Özdemir - President of the Turkish Football Federation, Limak Holding CEO
- Nurcan Taylan - Olympic Champion weightlifter
- Ömer Çelik - Politicians, journalists, former Minister of Turkey and the European Union, former Culture and Tourism Minister
- Özdemir İnce - Poet, writer, journalist
- Rıfat Ilgaz - Poet, novelist, story writer
- Sina Koloğlu - Keyboardist of Bulutsuzluk Özlemi, critic
- Sinan Şamil Sam - Professional boxer
- Süleyman Saim Tekcan - Painter, film actor, sculptor, printmaker, graphic artist, engraver and academician
- Şeref Eroğlu - Professional wrestler
- Tahsin Saraç - Poet, one of the Teachers' Union of Turkey founder
- Tarık Daşgün - Manager and former national football player
- Tuncay Özkan - (Republican People's Party) Deputy Chairperson, journalist, writer, broadcaster
- Zafer Çağlayan - Former Industry and Trade Minister, former Foreign Trade Minister, former Minister of Economy, former ASO and former TOBB vice president.
- Zekai Tunca - Turkish Classical Music artist
- "Gazi Üniversitesi | Yönetim".
- "QS World University Rankings-Emerging Europe & Central Asia". Retrieved 15 January 2023.
- "Management - Gazi Üniversitesi". gazi-universitesi.gazi.edu.tr. Retrieved 2021-02-22.
- Cantürk, Safure (2012-03-23). "Gazi, yüz naklini 'damardan' bağladı". Sabah (in Turkish). Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- "Üçüncü yüz nakli Gazi Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Hastanesi'nde başladı". Zaman (in Turkish). 2012-03-17. Archived from the original on 2012-03-19. Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- "Üçüncü yüz nakli bir kadına". NTV MSNBC (in Turkish). 2012-03-17. Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- Official website
- Gazi Central Library Archived 2006-08-03 at the Wayback Machine (in Turkish)
- Gazi University Foundation (in Turkish)
- Gazi University Center for Turkish Teaching Archived 2006-09-15 at the Wayback Machine (in Turkish)
- Gazi University Center for Foreign Language Teaching
- Gazi University Alumni Organization (in Turkish)
- Radio Gazi Fm (in Turkish)
- Gazi University Faculty of Engineering Archived 2012-04-11 at the Wayback Machine (in Turkish)
- Gazi University Faculty of Architecture Archived 2012-04-18 at the Wayback Machine (in Turkish)
- Gazi University Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences (in Turkish)