Gavin Tucker (born June 17, 1986) is a Canadian mixed martial arts fighter who is currently signed to the UFC featherweight division and had previously won the Extreme Cage Combat promotion championship in the featherweight category.
June 17, 1986
Ship Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
|Other names||Guv'Nor |
The Newfoundland Terror
|Residence||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10 st 5 lb)|
|Reach||66 in (168 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mixed martial arts careerEdit
He was the reigning Extreme Cage Combat Featherweight Champion when he was signed to the UFC in early 2017.
Ultimate Fighting ChampionshipEdit
Tucker faced Rick Glenn on September 9, 2017 at UFC 215. Tucker suffered his first professional lost on this fight by unanimous decision. Many criticized the referee should have stopped the fight as Tucker was clearly exhausted and receiving 142 significant strikes out of 184 landed. UFC president Dana White tweeted "This ref SUCKS" during the fight and tweeted after the fight after fight "Look at the poor kid's face!!! The ref needs his ass whooped!!!!" while other blamed Tucker's corner not throwing the towel to stop the fight. Despite Tucker suffering 4 broken bones in his face as the result of the hellacious beating, he defended the referee's, Kyle Cardinal, decision on his Facebook.
In victory say little. In defeat ....less.
ill keep it short and sweet. i lost on Saturday. stop blaming the ref for a bad call. that man let me go out on my shield. he visited while i was in the hospital and apologized. was him and i in that cage. I didnt stop fighting. he saw that. he should sleep easy.
I have four broken bones in my face. the first which started on the jaw in rd 1 and the fight went down for me from there. i have 2 fractured orbital and another vertical fracture in the jaw according to the x ray/CT scan. the heartbreak of losing hurts much worse. throughout the day i wiped alot [sic] of blood off my cheek and i can't say for sure there weren't some tears in there. I fought w blurred vision and 3 different Rick Glenns kicked the fuck out of me for the last two rds. (i tried to hit the one in the middle) congrats to my opponent. i hope you go far because i plan on seeing you again. I fought my heart out. I'm a rare breed of straight savage and i don't need social media to tell me that. however...i am appreciative of all the support i received on here. which is why I'm writing this. I have no excuses and won't stand for anyone making them for me. that's not how the north folk get it done.
Tucker was expected to face Andre Soukhamthath in a bantamweight bout on October 27, 2018 at UFC Fight Night 138. However, Tucker pulled out of the fight in early October citing an undisclosed injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Jonathan Martinez.
Championships and accomplishmentsEdit
Mixed martial arts recordEdit
|Professional record breakdown|
|13 matches||12 wins||1 loss|
|Win||12–1||Justin Jaynes||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Oleinik||August 8, 2020||3||1:43||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||11–1||Seung Woo Choi||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 240||July 27, 2019||3||3:17||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||10–1||Rick Glenn||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 215||September 9, 2017||3||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||10–0||Sam Sicilia||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Browne||February 19, 2017||3||5:00||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Win||9–0||Chris Coggins||KO (head kick)||ECC 25||July 23, 2016||1||0:37||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada||Defended the ECC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||8–0||David Harris||TKO (punches)||ECC 22||March 14, 2015||2||2:02||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada||Won the vacant ECC Featherweight Championship.|
|Win||7–0||Lyndon Whitlock||Submission (rear-naked choke)||ECC 15||February 16, 2013||3||3:09||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada||Catchweight (146.2 lb) bout; Tucker missed weight.|
|Win||6–0||Robert Rende||TKO (punches)||ECC 14||April 27, 2012||3||2:27||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada||Return to Featherweight.|
|Win||5–0||Jeremy Henry||Submission (rear-naked choke)||ECC 13||January 27, 2012||1||5:00||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada||Lightweight bout.|
|Win||4–0||Christopher Corporon||Submission (armbar)||Elite 1: Wild Card 2||October 15, 2011||1||1:35||Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada|
|Win||3–0||David Spence||Submission (armbar)||ECFP: Resurgence||May 27, 2011||1||3:09||Trenton, Nova Scotia, Canada||Featherweight bout.|
|Win||2–0||Michael Waugh||TKO (punches)||ECC 12: Rage||April 16, 2011||1||3:02||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
|Win||1–0||Ryan Connor||Decision (unanimous)||ECC 11: Redemption||February 19, 2011||3||5:00||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada|
- "Newfoundland's Gavin Tucker wins UFC debut in Halifax, as Mom leaves the Rock for the 1st time". CBC News. Retrieved May 14, 2017.
- "Gavin Tucker shines in UFC debut, brutal knockout ends Fight Night card in Halifax". Metro News. Archived from the original on March 18, 2018. Retrieved May 14, 2017.
- "Halifax's Tucker 'buzzed' about UFC debut". The Chronicle Herald. Archived from the original on March 18, 2018. Retrieved May 14, 2017.
- Fernando Quiles Jr. (2017-01-22). "UFC signs Canadian featherweight prospect Gavin Tucker". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2017-01-22.
- Jonathan Briggins (2017-01-29). "'Ramped up the intensity:' Hometown favourite Gavin Tucker gearing up for UFC debut in Halifax". metronews.ca. Retrieved 2017-01-29.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-02-19). "UFC Fight Night 105 results: Gavin Tucker runs circles around Sam Sicilia for easy UFC debut win". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-19.
- Dan Hiergesell (2017-05-27). "Gavin Tucker vs. Rick Glenn first fight added to UFC 215 on Sept. 9 from Edmonton". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2017-05-27.
- "UFC 215 results: Rick Glenn overwhelms Gavin Tucker, who earns no mercy from referee". MMAjunkie. 2017-09-10. Retrieved 2017-09-10.
- Russell, Ess. "Despite many being upset with ref in Gavin Tucker vs Rick Glenn bout, Tucker says 'stop blaming the ref'". BJ Penn.com. Retrieved September 11, 2017.
- "Gavin Tucker". Tapology. Retrieved September 12, 2017.
- "Tucker: Ref 'should sleep easy' after UFC 215". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2017-09-12.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-08-07). "Andre Soukhamthath meets Gavin Tucker during UFC Moncton" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- Marcel Dorff (2018-10-10). "Jonathan Martinez replaces Gavin Tucker against Andre Soukhamthath during UFC Moncton" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-10-10.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-06-04). "Gavin Tucker meets Seung Woo Choi during UFC 240 in Edmonton" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-06-04.
- Fortune, Ryan (2019-07-27). "UFC 240 Results: Gavin Tucker Submits Seung Woo Choi Late in the Third Round". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-07-28.
- "Billy Quarantillo vs. Gavin Tucker added to UFC on ESPN+ 31". MMA Junkie. 2020-03-05. Retrieved 2020-03-05.
- Brett Okamoto (2020-04-09). "Dana White says UFC 249 will not happen April 18". espn.com. Retrieved 2020-04-09.
- Redactie (2020-07-19). "Justin Jaynes vs. Gavin Tucker added to UFC event on August 8". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2020-07-21.(in Dutch)
- Doherty, Dan (2020-08-08). "UFC Vegas 6 Results: Gavin Tucker Batters, Submits Justin Jaynes". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-08-08.
- Ryan Galloway (2020-08-09). "UFC Fight Night: Lewis Vs. Oleinik Bonuses". lowkickmma.com. Retrieved 2020-08-09.