Gautam Buddha University
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Gautam Buddha University ("GBU") (Hindi: गौतम बुद्ध विश्वविद्यालय) is a Research University located in Greater Noida, Gautam Buddha Nagar district. Uttar Pradesh, India. It is one of Uttar Pradesh's state government University which commenced its first academic session in the year 2008. University campus is spread over 511 acres in Greater Noida and offers Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral degrees in Engineering, Business Administration, Computer Applications, Biotechnology and Buddhist Studies and is mainly focused on research. Gautam Buddha University has signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with National Skill Development Corporation for introducing skill development programmes in University and is one of three universities in India to do so.
|गौतम बुद्ध विश्वविद्यालय|
Motto in English
|Character, Creativity, Competence|
|Established||2002 (Uttar Pradesh Gautam Buddha University Act 2002 UP Act no. 9 2002)|
|Endowment||Uttar Pradesh Government, NOIDA and GNIDA authorities, Government of India|
|Vice-Chancellor||J. P. Sharma, I.A.S (Retd.)|
|Location||Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Campus||Urban 511 acres (2.07 km2)|
The University was established by the Uttar Pradesh Gautam Buddha University Act 2002 UP Act no. 9 of 2002 and began its first academic session in 2008. The university is fully funded by the NOIDA and GNIDA (undertakings of the UP government) and recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC). It is member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU). Gautam Buddha University has been accredited jointly be Joint Accreditation System of Australia & New Zealand (JAS-ANZ), issued on 21 February 2015 after accessing and finding confirmation to the requirements of ISO 9001: 2008. Integrated Dual Degree Programme (B.Arch. + M. Arch./MBA) in Architecture and Planning, been recognized by the Council of Architecture. M. Phil. (Clinical Psychology), 2 years Programme which has been recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of India. Integrated B.A. LLB programme. This Programme has been approved by the Bar Council of India.
Gautam Buddha University was the dream Project of Ms Mayawati four time Uttar Pradesh chief minister. August 23, 2008 Ms. Mayawati, inaugurated and dedicated the university to the people, During the Inauguration Ms Mayawati mentioned that she had conceived the idea to establish the International standard University during the previous term of the BSP government in 2002, but during the administration of the Samajwadi Party the project was dumped, and after coming to power again, She speed up the implementation of this project. It was emphasized by the great architect "Mr. Dikshu C. Kukreja"
School of ManagementEdit
School of Management MBA was the first course started by GBU in 2008. The school has classrooms computing facilities supported by a library of books, journals, films and databases. It has specialisation groups (HRM, Marketing, Finance, Operations, and Strategy etc.) that organises weekly activities.  GBU-SOM also has a 500-kW solar roof top which provides electricity to Greater Noida. 
- Centres of Excellence
The school has 3 centre of excellence:
- Centre for Entrepreneurship and Innovations
- Centre for Management of Financial Services
- Centre for Executive Education.
School of BiotechnologyEdit
The Department of Biotechnology is an interdisciplinary Department with an amalgamation of expertise from diverse areas of basic and applied biology, mathematics, microbial, plant, animal sciences and computer sciences.
The Department is running following programmes:
- 5-Year Integrated Dual Degree Programme in B.Tech (Biotechnology) + M.Tech/MBA
- M.Tech Biotechnology for Science Graduates
- M.Tech Biotechnology for B.Tech/M.Sc. candidates
with specialization in the areas of Genetic Engineering, Food technology and Bioinformatics. 
School of Information and Communication TechnologyEdit
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Electronic and Communication Engineering
School of EngineeringEdit
The Gautam Buddha University School of Engineering offers leadership opportunities with technical and professional augmentation establishments viz. the GBU-IEEE student chapter etc. Integrated master's degree programs are offered through the SOE. The college is enriched by Civil, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering and Architecture and Regional Planning departments. Each department has its own administration structure with HOD at top of it. Department of Civil Engineering and Architecture will run from School of Architecture and built environment from next year.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering department offers education and training in the field of Mechanical Engineering. The department offers integrated dual degree with dual degree in Mechanical Engineering with specializations in CAD/CAM and Manufacturing Engineering. The research focus of the department lays heavy emphasis on innovations in the field of Machine Design, Production Engineering(CAD/CAM), Thermal Engineering and Production Engineering. Department of Mechanical Engineering is enriched with GBU-SAE student chapter which was started by mechanical engineering graduates in 2011. It has its goals perfectly aligned with SAE International and SAE India. It aims in imparting exposure to its students members to all kinds of Engineering aspects, be it Core Mechanical, Automotive or Human Resource. Many graduates and post graduates of Mechanical Engineering department has been selected for training and internship in National University of Singapore, National Aerospace Laboratory, Bengaluru. First batch of Mechanical Engineering students passed out in the year 2015. Sachin Mishra of 2010-15 batch bagged the post of Engineer at Cognitive Neuroimaging Centre, CeNReN - Centre for Neuroimaging Research at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore Government.
As a part of holistic research and development, teams from the department also keeps on participating in various automotive design competition like Shell Eco Marathon, SAE India Efficycle etc.
- Department of Electrical Engineering
Department of Electrical Engineering is enriched with GBU-IEEE chapter which got the approval on April 6, 2012. Presently, the department is offering the integrated dual degree course in Electrical Engineering with specialization in Power System and Control & Instrumentation Engineering. The department is extending the facilities to carry out research work for Doctor of Philosophy(Ph.d) degree, R&D work for sponsored and consultancy projects and testing and consultancy work for industrial problems. The Department has strong research focus in the field of Power System, Semiconductors, VLSI, Control and Instrumentation, System Design, Reliability Engineering, Power Electronic Drives, Industrial Automation and Control, High Voltage Engineering, Power Systems, Industrial and Biomedical Instrumentation, and various important areas of Electrical Engineering.  
- Department of Civil Engineering
The Department of Civil Engineering aims at understanding of fundamental principles, development and innovation to cater to the needs and demands of our changing trend and practices in the field. The academic activities of the Department aim at producing technical manpower needed by industry, R&D organizations, and academic institutions. The Department offers Integrated Dual Degree with B.Tech.+M.Tech./MBA (05 years) in Civil Engineering with specializations in Environmental Engineering, Structural Engineering.
- Department of Architecture and Regional Planning
Department of Architecture & Regional Planning has been conceptualized with post graduation programme in Urban and Regional Planning along with integrated dual degree programme in B. Arch & M. Planning to inculcate and promote the integrated & multi-disciplinary studies for design of built environment and develop cross cutting interface of technology in the field of design and development.
Materially, the department envisions to have totally computerized studios, facilitating latest drafting and modeling software; state of art laboratories for GIS with latest equipments like Laser scanner, ground penetrating radars; Surveying Lab with advanced equipment like the total system and GPS; Environment Lab with research level measuring and observation gadgets; Material and Structure Labs, with infrastructure to demonstrate structural systems and test the strength of materials. 
School of Law, Justice and GovernanceEdit
The school fosters advancement of learning, teaching and research in of law, justice and governance.
One of the main academic programmes, the five-year integrated BA LLB, was started in July 2012. At the time of admission in the first semester, the number of students enrolled in the course was 42. In the first semester of the programme, students participate in moot court practice, debate, essay writing and project works. The school fosters advancement of learning, teaching and research in of law. 
School of Buddhist Studies and CivilizationEdit
The school offers academic programmes at post-graduate and research level including M.A., M.Phil., and Ph.D. It gives knowledge of Buddhist History, Philosophy, and Literature in Pali, Sanskrit, Chinese, Burmese, Sinhalese and Tibetan languages and their literature. With a very rich library, a meditation centre, and a serene campus, the school enables the practice of Buddhist techniques of Vipassana meditation under qualified supervision.
It provides a forum for cross-cultural and international dialogues, with regular sessions with scholars, conventions, symposia, seminars, conferences, and lecture series. It is open to academic collaborations, joint research programmes and faculty and student exchange programmes with academic institutions of repute dedicated to Buddhist studies. 
School of Humanities and Social SciencesEdit
The school gives students an understanding of contemporary social issues through the inter-relationship of science, technology and management. It hosts an education programme that focuses on creating an understanding of the complexities of life in social context with emphasis on Indian cultural values and Buddhist ethics. The school is supported by a library with a large collection of books, journals, audio-visual aids and other learning materials. 
School of Vocational Studies and Applied SciencesEdit
The school of Vocational Studies & Applied Sciences offers courses in Applied Chemistry, Applied Physics, Applied Mathematics, Environmental Sciences and Food Processing & Technology. It offers integrated dual degree in Btech+Mtech/MBA in Food Processing & Technology. It is coming up as one of the premier institutions in applied sciences in north India. 
First batch of SOVSAS passed out in 2014. Students were placed in FARE (Food Analysis and research lab), GlaxoSmithKlineConsumer Healthcare Ltd, Intertek India Pvt Ltd, FICCI, Calpro food, National Brain Research Centre, Parag dairy, Alchem International, and Jubilant Life Sciences. 
International Collaborations and Study Abroad ProgrammeEdit
Besides having industrial association with Indian industries, the institute has close industry partnership with the following organizations abroad:
- International Business Academy, Kolding, Denmark
- Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
- Sheffield Hallam University, Sheffield, UK
- Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, UK In addition to the above, the University is in the process of formalizing tie-up with the following two Universities, for which the preliminary talks have been initiated and a common understanding is being developed. These are:
- . Russian State University for Humanities, Moscow
- . Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia a delegation of Russian Scholars and students from Russian State University for Humanities and Moscow State University visited Gautam Buddha University on 16 February 2015 to explore possibilities of academic exchange and collaborations between the two Universities.
- University of East London, London, UK Professor Nora Ann Colton, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academics), University of East London, Docklands Campus, University Way, London E 16 2RD, UK visited Gautam Buddha University on 09.01.2015. She expressed her desire to share and explore possibilities for developing an understanding between the two Universities and working towards a possible MoU in research and innovation between the two Universities. In a follow-up meeting a delegation visited GBU campus on 27 March 2015 and conducted visits of the facilities, infrastructure and had extensive discussion with office bearers regarding possible collaborations
Students that have been placed in various organisations are Singapore Government - Centre for Neuroimaging Research at NTU, HCL, Honda, NIIT, Aditya Birla Group, TCS, Kirloskar, CRISIL, BlackRock, berkshire, Infosys, encyclopaedia britannica, Godrej Infotech, Matrix Cellular International, AON, Tech Mahindra, Genpact, Elsevier, Huawei, Nestle and many others. 
The School of Biotechnology and School of Vocational Studies and Applied Sciences are administering a total of 21 Sponsored Projects in the University as per now funded by various agencies namely: Department of Biotechnology, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), Department of Science and Technology (Govt. of India), Indian Council of Medical Research (Govt. of India).
- Bodhisattva Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar Central Library
The library is located on the outer circle of the schools as the background of Tathagat’s statue. 
- Central Computer Center
GBU has 8 auditoriums in its campus :- Main Auditorium, Gautam Buddha University (Capacity 1765 seat), Auditorium 1(Capacity 425 seat), Auditorium 2, (Capacity 225 seat), Auditorium 3, (Capacity 100 seat), Auditorium 4, G (Capacity 90 seat), School Auditorium, School of Management (Capacity 300 seat), School Auditorium, School of Biotechnology (Capacity 300 seat), School Auditorium, School of Engineering, Block-B (Capacity 300 seat), School Auditorium, School of Buddhist Studies & Civilization (300 seats) Main auditorium costs Rs 88 crore.
- Cricket stadium with 650 seating capacity Pavilion, Astro-turf hockey stadium with 650-seat pavilion, Synthetic athletic cum soccer stadium with 650-seat pavilion, Practice arena for soccer and athletics, Diving pool with spectators arena, Synthetic basketball and volleyball arena with floodlight facility, Cricket practice pitches, Synthetic tennis arena with flood lights, etc.
Indoor stadium of GBU was inaugurated by chancellor Akhilesh Yadav on 11 April 2015. Its estimated cost is said to be 78 crore while Auditorium costs 88 crore. Indoor stadium of GBU has:
- Tennis and Table tennis, Badminton, Squash, Gymnasium, Judo and wrestling, Gymnastics, Billiards and snooker, Weightlifting, Boxing, etc.
GBU provides single bed rooms for the students. There are a total 19 hostels in the whole university of which 13 are occupied. There are separate hostels for each year. There is separate hostel for girls and boys. For the health of the students GBU has disallowed any vehicle for students in the campus. There is also a shopping complex for students on the campus.hostels are very big.
The cultural council of the university consists of following student bodies: Art/ Painting Club, Social Service club, Debating society, Dramatics club, Literary club, Photography club, Music club, Adventure club, Dance club, Audio-Visual education club
- Integrated Dual Degree Programmes (B.Tech+M.Tech/MBA) in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science Engineering & Electronics and Communication Engineering, Food Processing and Technology, Biotechnology, Integrated Dual Degree Programme BBA-MBA, Integrated Dual Degree Programme BBA-MBA, BA+ LLB (5-Year Integrated Programme), Bachelor in Architecture (B. Arch), B.Tech in Information Technology (IT), B. Sc., B. Voc. (Bachelor of Vocational Studies) in Food Processing, B.A. (Hons.)-MA in Buddhist Studies and Civilization,
- M. Plan (Master of Urban and Regional Planning), M.Tech in Power System Engineering, M.Tech in Instrumentation and Control, M.Tech in Power Electronics and Drives, M.Tech (Biotech), M.Tech in Specialization in Software Engineering, M. Tech in Specialization in Intelligent System and Robotics, M.Tech in Specialization in Wireless Communication and Networks, M.Tech in Specialization in VLSI Design, M.Tech in Computer Science, M.Tech in Embedded System, M.Tech in Food Processing and Technology, M. Sc. in Applied Chemistry, M. Sc.in Applied Physics, M. Sc. in Applied Mathematics, M. Sc. in Environmental Science, M. Sc. in Food Science, MA in Buddhist Studies & Civilization, M. Phil in Buddhist Studies & Civilization, MA in Education, MA in History and Civilization, MA in Economics, Planning and Development, MA in English, MA in Hindi, MA in Urdu, MA in Mass Communication, MSW(Master in Social Work), MA in Sociology, MA in Political Science and International Relations, MA/M.Sc. in Applied Psychology, Master in Disability Rehabilitation & Administration, M.Phil in Clinical Psychology, Master in Public Policy and Governance
- DOCTORAL courses:
- Ph.D. (Electrical Engg.), (Power converters & Drives, Control System Optimization, Biomedical Instrumentation & Image Processing), Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Ph.D. (Architecture & Planning), Ph.D. (Mechanical Engg.), Ph.D. in Management, Ph.D. in Applied Chemistry, Ph.D. in Applied Physics, Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, Ph.D. in various areas of Biotechnology, Ph.D. in law
The university conducts an entrance examination for each course. The candidates can appear for these examinations depending upon the fulfillment of the eligibility criteria. GPTU is the test for undergraduate level courses. GPT is the test for postgraduate level courses.
In the mediaEdit
Many shots of the movie Baby has been filmed in the Gautam Buddha University. The filming began on 4 September 2014. Many shots have been taken, at Meditation Hall, Shanti Sarovar and Library, at Greater Noida. Early on in February 2014, many shots of the movie Kill Dil were taken in Gautam Buddha University. The Asian & International Tent Pegging Championship 2015 was held at Gautam Buddha University, Gr. Noida, New Delhi from 10 to 15 March 2015. Sudan won the Gold Medal. The countries participated are Sudan, Oman, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Jordan, Russia, India, USA, Pakistan, Great Britain, Lebanon and Germany.
An event by Amar Ujala was organised at the main auditorium at Gautam Buddha University whose chief guests were olympic boxer Vijender Singh and a well known singer Ashok Mastie.
The national event Pro Wrestling League 2016 was held at Indoor stadium of Gautam Buddha University on 19 December 2015 and 20 December 2015.
- http://www.gbu.ac.in/gbu/User_Pages/ViewDynamicDetails.aspx?LinkId=6&WebsiteSource=GBU Archived 16 July 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Bodhi Has Writ". www.outlookindia.com/. 17 May 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- N, TN (13 April 2016). "Gautam Buddha University holds first convocation for 3 batches". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Gautama Budh University".
- "report" (PDF).
- "A Home for Modern Education in an Awakened City".
- "Mayawati inaugurates Gautam Buddha university in Gr. Noida".
- "MBA Admissions 2016: Apply in Gautam Buddha University for MBA Programmes". Jagranjosh.com (in Latin). 8 April 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- Tripathi, Ashish (8 October 2011). "Mayawati to inaugurate Mahamaya girls hostel". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "2016" (PDF).