Gary Wilson (cricketer)
Gary Craig Wilson (born 5 February 1986) is an Irish cricketer, who is a wicket-keeper and right-handed batsman. He plays for Ireland in Tests, One Day Internationals and Twenty20 Internationals, with his first appearance for the national side coming in 2005. He was one of the eleven cricketers to play in Ireland's first ever Test match, against Pakistan, in May 2018. In June 2018, he was named captain of Ireland's T20I side, a role he held until November 2019.
|Full name||Gary Craig Wilson|
|Born||5 February 1986|
Dundonald, Northern Ireland
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Test debut (cap 11)||11 May 2018 v Pakistan|
|Last Test||24 July 2019 v England|
|ODI debut (cap 19)||23 June 2007 v India|
|Last ODI||21 May 2019 v Afghanistan|
|T20I debut (cap 11)||2 August 2008 v Scotland|
|Last T20I||19 January 2020 v West Indies|
|Domestic team information|
|2008–2016||Surrey (squad no. 14)|
|2017–2018||Derbyshire (squad no. 9)|
Source: ESPNCricinfo, 21 April 2020
He has played county cricket for Derbyshire, having previously appeared for Surrey. He was Surrey captain for the latter part of the 2014 season, following injury to Graeme Smith, and was awarded his cap in the same season. Wilson signed a three-year contract with Derbyshire on 19 September 2016, and the following year, he captained the club to the quarterfinals of the T20 Blast, only the second time Derbyshire had gone so far in the competition.
In December 2018, he was one of nineteen players to be awarded a central contract by Cricket Ireland for the 2019 season. In January 2020, he was one of nineteen players to be awarded a central contract from Cricket Ireland, the first year in which all contracts were awarded on a full-time basis.
Domestic and T20 careerEdit
Two years later, in 2006, he participated in the competition for the second time, when his team finished in thirteenth place. He also plays for Derbyshire County Cricket Club in England's domestic competitions.
It has been harder work securing a county starting berth, as he has been tried in different top-order positions without consistent success, but Surrey have persisted with him in the middle order and he was a regular starter in 2013, making only his second Championship hundred.
In May 2018, he was named in a fourteen-man squad for Ireland's first ever Test match, to be played against Pakistan later that month. He made his Test debut in the match, starting on 11 May 2018. The following month, he was named as the captain of Ireland's Twenty20 International (T20I) squad for the 2018 Netherlands Tri-Nation Series.
On 3 May 2019, Wilson played in his 100th ODI match, in the one-off fixture between Ireland and England in Malahide. In September 2019, he was named as the captain of Ireland's squad for the 2019 ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier tournament in the United Arab Emirates.
- "Gary Wilson replaced by Andy Balbirnie as Ireland's T20I captain". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 29 November 2019.
- Surrey v Leicestershire
- "Wilson awarded County cap". Archived from the original on 25 March 2016. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "19 men's central player contracts finalised ahead of busy 2019". Cricket Ireland. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Ireland women to receive first professional contracts". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Gareth Delany, Shane Getkate amongst 19 men's central player contracts offered ahead of a busy 2020". Cricket Ireland. Retrieved 9 January 2020.
- "Delany, Getkate highlight Ireland men's central contracts list for 2020". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 9 January 2020.
- f52537 Leicestershire v Surrey: LV County Championship 2010 (Division 2), Cricket Archive, retrieved 15 March 2011
- Ireland's Wilson extends Surrey deal, Cricinfo, 8 March 2011, retrieved 15 March 2011
- "Eoin Morgan to represent Dublin franchise in inaugural Euro T20 Slam". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Euro T20 Slam Player Draft completed". Cricket Europe. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- "Inaugural Euro T20 Slam cancelled at two weeks' notice". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 14 August 2019.
- Ireland pick Ed Joyce for World Cup, Cricinfo, 19 January 2011, retrieved 27 January 2011
- Twenty20 Matches played by Gary Wilson, CricketArchive, retrieved 24 March 2019
- "Ireland announce 14-man squad for historic first Test against Pakistan". Belfast Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Ireland omit George Dockrell for historic first men's Test against Pakistan". BBC Sport. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "Only Test, Pakistan tour of Ireland, England and Scotland at Dublin, May 11-15 2018". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 12 May 2018.
- "Ireland win toss, opt to bowl in historic Test against Pakistan". Geo TV. Retrieved 12 May 2018.
- "Gary Wilson named Ireland's T20I captain". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- "PREVIEW: Ireland look to begin bumper home summer with a bang as England come to town". Cricket Ireland. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- "Squad announced for Oman Series and ICC Men's T20 World Cup Qualifier". Cricket Ireland. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Captains speak of their chances in ICC Men's T20 World Cup Qualifier 2019". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 13 October 2019.