Gary Scott Thompson
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Gary Scott Thompson (born October 7, 1959) is an American screenwriter, television producer, and director. Thompson is notable for his work on The Fast and the Furious starring Vin Diesel and Paul Walker, the sequel 2 Fast 2 Furious, Hollow Man with Kevin Bacon and Elisabeth Shue, Split Second, 88 Minutes, starring Al Pacino, and K-911 and K-9: P.I..
Gary Scott Thompson
|Born||October 7, 1959|
Ukiah, California , U.S.
|Education||New York University (MFA)|
|Occupation||Film, screenwriter, television producer|
As creator, showrunner, writer, and executive producer of NBC's hit series Las Vegas, Thompson also directed 4 episodes and made a brief appearance as a psychotherapy patient. Recently, Thompson wrote, co-developed, and executive produced NBC and TF1's Taxi Brooklyn.
Life and careerEdit
Born in Ukiah, but spending much of his childhood in American Samoa, Thompson first gained exposure to the world of entertainment actor, studying the craft from such actors as Powers Boothe. To pay for his education and support himself, Thompson worked in a junkyard, operated heavy equipment, delivered mail, built sets for a theatre company, tutored college students in English, taught high school in New York City, worked in a gym, was a stagehand at the Metropolitan Opera House NYC, was a reader and assistant dramaturgy at Circle Rep Theatre, and did story notes and development for a Hollywood film studio and distributor.
Eventually settling on writing, he received a Master of Fine Arts degree from New York University and went to work as a playwright. Thompson's theater credits include "Small Town Syndrome," "Cowboys Don't Cry" and "Private Hells." Thompson resides in Los Angeles with his wife and two children.
For Las Vegas, Thompson received the honor of Best Drama Series at the WIN Awards, an awards show dedicated to highlighting positive and multi-dimensional portrayals of women in media. Additionally, Thompson received the first-ever Visionary Award from spinal cord injury advocacy organization Life Rolls On for the first-ever portrayal of a featured character with a SCI on national television.
|The Underachievers||1987||Yes||No||Jackie Kong|
|White Ghost||1988||Yes||No||BJ Davis|
|Split Second||1992||Yes||Associate||Tony Maylam & Ian Sharp|
|Hollow Man||2000||Story||No||Paul Verhoeven|
|The Fast and the Furious||2001||Yes||No||Rob Cohen|
|K-9: P.I.||2002||Yes||No||Richard Lewis||Direct-to-video|
|2 Fast 2 Furious||2003||Story||No||John Singleton|
|Timecop 2: The Berlin Decision||2003||Yes||Co-Producer||Steve Boyum||Direct-to-video|
|Hollow Man 2||2006||Story||No||Claudio Fäh||Direct-to-video|
|88 Minutes||2007||Yes||Yes||Jon Avnet|
|The Angry Beavers||1999||No||Yes||No||No||Segment: "Stump's Family Reunion"|
|Las Vegas||2003-2008||Yes||Yes||Executive||Yes||Creator and executive producer (106 episodes)|
Writer and director (4 episodes)
Writer (16 episodes)
|The WIN Awards||2005||No||No||Yes||No||Television special|
|Protect and Serve||2007||No||No||Executive||No||Television film|
|Knight Rider||2008-2009||Yes||Yes||Executive||No||Executive producer (17 episodes)|
Writer and director (Episode: ''Exit Light, Enter Knight'')
Writer (2 episodes)
|Taxi Brooklyn||2014||No||Yes||Executive||Developer||Developer and executive producer (12 episodes)|
Writer (4 episodes)
|Intimate Portrait||2003||Episode ''Vanessa Marcil''|
|TV Land Confidential||2007||Episode ''Locations''|
|Las Vegas||2008||Cameo as 'Patient' in episode ''3 Babes, 100 Guns and a Fat Chick"|
- Bierly, Mandi (January 11, 2008). "Las Vegas: Against All Odds". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved October 27, 2012.
- About, Gary Scott Thompson was born at MekMekSiwa Hospital in Pago Pago, and grew up on the South Pacific island of Pago Pago, American Samoa.
- About, Thompson worked in a junkyard, operated heavy equipment, delivered mail, built sets for a theatre company, tutored college students in English, taught high school in New York City, worked in a gym, was a stagehand at the Metropolitan Opera House NYC, was a reader and assistant dramaturgy at Circle Rep Theatre, and did story notes and development for a Hollywood film studio and distributor.
- "2005 Film and Television Winners". Women's Image Network Awards. September 26, 2005. Archived from the original on December 21, 2015. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- Surfermag.com This year’s gala will proudly salute the work of producer Gary Scott Thompson and his hit NBC-show “Las Vegas” for its positive portrayal of the SCI community in the media.