Gary Robert Habermas (born 1950) is an American historian and New Testament scholar who frequently writes and lectures on the resurrection of Jesus. He has specialized in cataloging and communicating trends among scholars in the field of historical Jesus and New Testament studies. He is distinguished research professor and chair of the department of philosophy and theology at Liberty University.
Gary Robert Habermas
June 28, 1950
|Thesis||The resurrection of Jesus: a rational inquiry (1976)|
|School or tradition||Evangelicalism|
|Main interests||Resurrection of Jesus|
Life and careerEdit
Habermas is a Distinguished Research Professor of Apologetics and Philosophy and chairman of the department of philosophy at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. He received a Doctor of Philosophy degree (1976) from Michigan State University in history and philosophy of religion with a thesis entitled "The resurrection of Jesus: a rational inquiry", and previously a master's degree (1973) from the University of Detroit in philosophical theology. He has specialized in cataloging and communicating trends among scholars in the field of historical Jesus and New Testament studies.
In 1985, Habermas debated the then-prominent atheist and evidentialist philosopher, Antony Flew, on the question of Jesus' resurrection as a literal and historical/physical event, before 3000 attendees. Five philosophers and five professional debate judges judged the debate. Of the philosophers who judged on the content of the debate, four voted that Habermas won and the other was undecided. Of the debate judges who voted on debate technique, three voted for Habermas while two voted for Flew.
- Habermas, Gary R.; Flew, Antony G. N. (1987). Did Jesus Rise from the Dead? The Resurrection Debate. San Francisco, CA: Harper & Row. ISBN 9780060635497. OCLC 14903934.
- ——— (1990). Dealing With Doubt. Chicago, IL: Moody Press. ISBN 9780802422507. OCLC 22971399.
- ———; Stevenson, Kenneth (1990). The Shroud and the Controversy. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson. ISBN 9780840771742. OCLC 20391758.
- ——— (1984). Ancient Evidence for the Life of Jesus: Historical Records of His Death and Resurrection. Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson. ISBN 9780840759191. OCLC 11468656.
- ——— (1996). The Historical Jesus: Ancient Evidence for the Life of Christ. Joplin, MO: College Press. ISBN 9780899007328. OCLC 34549074.
- ——— (1999). The Thomas Factor: Using Your Doubts to Draw Closer to God. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman. ISBN 9780805417203. OCLC 39936227.
- ——— (2003). The Risen Jesus & Future Hope. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 9780742532861. OCLC 51799265.
- ———; Moreland, James P. (2004). Beyond Death: Exploring the Evidence for Immortality. Wheaton, IL: Crossway. ISBN 9780891079996. OCLC 38023970.
- ———; Licona, Michael R. (2004). The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel. ISBN 9780825427886. OCLC 123818389.
- ———; Flew, Antony G. N. (2005). Resurrected?: An Atheist and Theist Dialogue. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. ISBN 9780742542259. OCLC 56371182.
- ———; Thomas, John C. (2008). What's Good about Feeling Bad?: Finding Purpose and a Path through Your Pain. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale Press. ISBN 9781414316895. OCLC 223940588.
- ———; Flew, Antony G. N. (2009). Baggett, David (ed.). A Conversation with Gary Habermas and Antony Flew: Did the Resurrection Happen?. Veritas books. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press. ISBN 9780830837182. OCLC 300029735.
- ——— (2010). Why is God Ignoring Me?. Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers. ISBN 9781414316888. OCLC 436617333.
- ———; Geivett, R. Douglas, eds. (1997). In Defence of Miracles: a comprehensive case for God's action in history. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic. ISBN 9780830815289. OCLC 35714776.
- ———; Walls, Jerry; Baggett, David, eds. (2008). C.S. Lewis as Philosopher: truth, goodness and beauty. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic. ISBN 9780830828081. OCLC 183608700.
- ———; Stewart, Robert B., eds. (2010). Memories of Jesus: a critical appraisal of James D.G. Dunn's Jesus remembered. Nashville, TN: B&H Academic. ISBN 9780805448405. OCLC 462895848.
- "Institution Faculty Profile". Liberty University.
- "Publications of Dr. Gary R. Habermas - Online Resource for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ". garyhabermas.com. Retrieved January 6, 2019.
- "Gary Habermas". The Veritas Forum. Retrieved March 2, 2021.
- "What's Good about Feeling Bad?: Finding Purpose and a Path through Your Pain". Retrieved May 13, 2019.