|Born||Gary Robert Habermas
June 28, 1950
|Education||BRE (1972), MA (1973), PhD (1976)|
|Alma mater||William Tyndale College
University of Detroit
Michigan State University
|Occupation||Distinguished Research Professor
Chair, Department of Philosophy
Habermas is Distinguished Professor of Apologetics and Philosophy and chairman of the department of philosophy and theology at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia. He holds a PhD (1976) from Michigan State University in history and philosophy of religion and a master's degree (1973) from the University of Detroit in philosophical theology. He has specialized in cataloging and communicating trends among scholars in the field of historical Jesus and New Testament studies.
In 1985, Habermas and Antony Flew debated the question of Jesus' resurrection as a literal and historical/physical event, before a crowd of 3000 people. Five philosophers and five professional debate judges judged the debate. Of the philosophers who judged on the content of the debate, four voted that Habermas won and the other was undecided. Of the debate judges who voted on debate technique, three voted for Habermas while two voted for Flew. The debate was published as a book under the title Did Jesus Rise from the Dead? The Resurrection Debate (Harper & Row).
Habermas has authored or co-authored 35 books on religious and philosophical subjects, contributed to over 60 chapters or articles in books, and published over 100 articles and reviews in peer-reviewed journals. He continues to do research, publish popular and academic papers, give debates, and he frequently appears on television.
- Why is God Ignoring Me? (Tyndale House Publishers, 2010).
- A Conversation with Gary Habermas and Antony Flew: Did the Resurrection Happen? (InterVarsity Press, 2009).
- with John Thomas What's Good about Feeling Bad?: Finding Purpose and a Path through Your Pain, (Tyndale, 2008).
- with Jerry Walls & David Baggett C.S. Lewis as Philosopher, (InterVarsity, 2008).
- Resurrected? : An Atheist and Theist Dialogue, (Rowman & Littlefield, 2005).
- with Licona, Michael The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus, (Kregel, 2004).
- with Moreland, J.P. Beyond Death: Exploring the Evidence for Immortality, (Crossway, 2004).
- The Risen Jesus & Future Hope, (Rowman & Littlefield, 2003).
- The Thomas Factor: Using Your Doubts to Draw Closer to God (Broadman & Holman, 1999).
- The Historical Jesus: Ancient Evidence for the Life of Christ (College Press: Joplin, MI 1996).
- Ancient Evidence for the Life of Jesus: Historical Records of His Death and Resurrection
- Dealing With Doubt (Moody Press, 1990)
- Gary R. Habermas and Antony G. N. Flew, Did Jesus Rise from the Dead? The Resurrection Debate, ed. Terry L. Miethe (San Francisco: Harper & Row, 1987; Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2003).
- "EPS Author Profile". Evangelical Philosophical Society.
- "Evidences for the Resurrection". bible.org. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- "EPS 2013 Meeting". Evangelical Philosophical Society.
- Gary Habermas — personal website
- Gary Habermas on Theopedia
- Gary Habermas on IMDb
- Why I Believe The New Testament Is Historically Reliable by Dr. Gary Habermas
- Explaining Away Jesus’ Resurrection: The Recent Revival of Hallucination Theories by Gary R. Habermas
- Jesus' Resurrection and Contemporary Criticism: An Apologetic (Part I) - PDF File
- Jesus' Resurrection and Contemporary Criticism: An Apologetic (Part II) - PDF File