Gary Michael Gutting (April 11, 1942 – January 18, 2019) was an American philosopher and holder of an endowed chair in philosophy at the University of Notre Dame. His daughter is writer Tasha Alexander.
|Born||April 11, 1942|
|Died||January 18, 2019(aged 76)|
|Spouse(s)||Anastasia Friel Gutting|
|Contemporary French philosophy, philosophy of science, philosophy of religion|
Gutting was an expert on the philosopher Michel Foucault and an editor of Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews. Through his publications in such media outlets as The New York Times and The Stone, he adopted the role of a public intellectual. He dealt with both continental and analytic philosophy and had written on bridging the analytic-continental divide.
- Talking God: Philosophers on Belief, W. W. Norton & Company, 2016
- What Philosophy Can Do, W. W. Norton & Company, 2015
- Thinking the Impossible: French Philosophy since 1960, Oxford University Press, 2011
- What Philosophers Know: Case Studies in Recent Analytic Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, 2009
- Foucault: A Very Short Introduction, Oxford University Press, 2005
- French Philosophy in the Twentieth Century, Cambridge University Press, 2001
- Pragmatic Liberalism and the Critique of Modernity, Cambridge University Press, 1999
- Michel Foucault's Archaeology of Scientific Reason, Cambridge University Press, 1989
- Religious Belief and Religious Skepticism, University of Notre Dame Press, 1982
- Paradigms and Revolutions: Appraisals and Applications of Thomas Kuhn's Philosophy of Science. South Bend, Indiana: University of Notre Dame Press, 1980 OCLC 163461098
- Continental Philosophy of Science, Blackwell Publishers, 2004
- Date information sourced from Library of Congress Authorities data, via corresponding WorldCat Identities linked authority file (LAF).
- "Gary Gutting (1942-2019)". Daily Nous. January 20, 2019.
- "Gary Michael Gutting obituary". Palmer Funeral Homes. 2019-01-19. Retrieved 2020-01-22.
- Bray, Christopher (2011-03-20). "Thinking the Impossible: French Philosophy Since 1960 by Gary Gutting – review". The Observer. Retrieved 2016-09-09.
- Richard Marshall (2012-12-10). "What Philosophers Know". 3:AM Magazine. Archived from the original on December 3, 2013. Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- Gutting, Gary (2011-09-14). "Beyond 'New Atheism'". Opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com.
- Gutting, Gary (2010-08-11). "The Stone: On Dawkins's Atheism: A Response". Opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- Gutting, Gary (2010-08-01). "The Stone: Philosophy and Faith". Opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- Gutting, Gary (2013-05-22). "Why Do I Teach?". Opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com.
- Douglas Smith. "Thinking the Impossible: French Philosophy since 1960 (review)". Project MUSE. reprinted from Douglas Smith (April 2012). "Thinking the Impossible: French Philosophy since 1960 (review)". French Studies: A Quarterly Review. 66 (2): 277–278. doi:10.1093/fs/kns074.
- Gutting, Gary (2013-03-30). "The Stone: On Being Catholic". Opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com.
- Gutting, Gary (2013-04-25). "What Do Scientific Studies Show?". Opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com.
- Books, Five. "The Best Books on Foucault | Five Books Expert Recommendations". Five Books. Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- Gutting, Gary (2012-02-19). "The Stone: Bridging the Analytic-Continental Divide". Opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com.