Gary L. Cederstrom (born October 4, 1955) is an umpire in Major League Baseball who has worked in the American League from 1989 to 1999 and throughout both major leagues since 2000. He has worn number 38 throughout his career, and was promoted to crew chief for the 2008 season.
Cederstrom in 2011
|Born: October 4, 1955|
Bismarck, North Dakota
|June 1, 1989|
|Career highlights and awards|
He has umpired in three World Series (2005, 2011, and 2015 (crew chief)), as well as two All-Star Games (2003, 2014), and in seven League Championship Series: (2001, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2016). He has also officiated in seven Division Series (2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2010, 2011, 2015).
He was the first base umpire when Eddie Murray collected his 3000th hit. He was also the third base umpire when Derek Jeter got his 2,721st career hit to tie Lou Gehrig for most hits as a Yankee. He was at second base when Jeter got his 3,000 career hit.
Cederstrom was at third base for Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Matt Garza's no hitter against the Detroit Tigers on July 26, 2010. Cederstrom was behind the plate on June 1, 2012, when Johan Santana threw a no-hitter against St. Louis.
Born in Bismarck, North Dakota, Cederstrom's hometown is Minot. He graduated from Minot High School in 1973, and received a B.S. in education from Minot State College, where he lettered in baseball for the Beavers.
- Goldblatt, Andrew. Major League Umpires' Performance, 2007-2010: A Comprehensive Statistical Review Retrieved 15 June 2012
- Cleveland Indians vs Minnesota Twins June 30, 1995 Box Score Baseball Almanac.com. Retrieved 15 June 2012
- Jeter ties hits mark as Yanks beat reeling Rays ESPN.com. Retrieved 15 June 2012
- Derek Jeter homers for No. 3,000, singles in winning run for Yankees ESPN.com. Retrieved 15 June 2012
- Garza throws first no-hitter in Rays' history ESPN.com. Retrieved 27 July 2012
- Boxscore: St. Louis vs. NY Mets - June 1, 2012 MLB.com. Retrieved 1 June 2012
- Cardinals force stunned Rangers to 7 as David Freese's HR caps wild rally ESPN.com. Retrieved 15 June 2012
- Umpires for Wild Card Games, Division Series announced Darling, Kellogg Will Serve As Crew Chiefs for Wild Card Games; Davis, DeMuth, Gorman and West Assigned to Lead Division Series Crews. MLB.com. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- "MLB umpire Gary Cederstrom to lead North Dakota State Parade". Washington Times. Associated Press. April 25, 2016. Retrieved November 6, 2017.