Gary Boyd Roberts
Gary Boyd Roberts (born September 29, 1943, Houston, Texas) is an American genealogist known for his scholarship in Americans of royal descent, the ancestors of American presidents, and notable kin. Roberts is the retired Senior Research Scholar of the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS).
Roberts is the son of Jack Carl and Mary Elizabeth Boyd Roberts. He is the great-great-grandson of a soldier from the Confederate States of America, Calvin Henderson Roberts of Johnston County, North Carolina.
A native of Houston, Texas, Roberts received a B.A. from Yale University and an M.A. from the University of Chicago. He was also a graduate student at the University of California, Berkeley. He married Margaret Melstrom on September 6, 1969 at Cherry Hill, New Jersey. The couple divorced in 1975 with no issue.
Roberts joined the NEHGS staff in 1974 and held a number of positions including Director of Publications and Senior Research Scholar. Roberts is a former member of the Society of Genealogists and the Connecticut Society of Genealogists.
Roberts's genealogical interests include immigrant origins and royal descents; royal and noble genealogy; the ancestry of notable figures, especially U.S. presidents; colonial New England, mid-Atlantic states, and the South.
Kinship between G.W. Bush and J.F. Kerry and other materials appear on his website Notable Kin. In recent years, he has collaborated with genealogist Christopher Challender Child, of the Newbury Street Press. In 2017, he research of the ancestry of Meghan, Duchess of Sussex was published online.
Roberts's work appears in his column "Royal Descents, Notable Kin, and Printed Sources" for the NEHGS website.
- Ancestors of American Presidents (1989, 1995, 2009) ISBN 0880822201
- The Royal Descents of 500 Immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States (1993) ISBN 0806313951
- The Royal Descents of 600 Immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States (2004) ISBN 0806317450
- The Royal Descents of 900 Immigrants to the American Colonies or the United States (2018) ISBN 0806320745
- Notable Kin, Volume One and Notable Kin, Volume Two (1998, 1999) ISBN 0936124172 ISBN 0936124202
- The Best Genealogical Sources in Print: Essays by Gary Boyd Roberts, vol. 1 (2004) ISBN 0880821558
- American Ancestors and Cousins of The Princess of Wales (1984). With William Addams Reitwiesner. ISBN 0806310855
- Genealogies of Connecticut Families. NEHGR (3 vols., 1983) ISBN 0806310308
- English Origins of New England Families. NEHGR (2 series, 6 vols., 1984–85) ISBN 080631057X ISBN 080631091X
- Genealogies of Mayflower Families. NEHGR (3 vols., 1985) ISBN 0806310952
- Mayflower Source Records. NEHGR (1986) ISBN 0806311452
- Genealogies of Rhode Island Families. NEHGR (2 vols., 1989) ISBN 0806312181
- Massachusetts and Maine Families in the Ancestry of Walter Goodwin Davis (3 vols., 1996) ISBN 0806314966
- Introduction to New England Marriages Prior to 1700 by Clarence Almon Torrey, (1985, several times reprinted with the introduction revised) ISBN 0806311029
- The Ancestry of Catherine Middleton (Foreword, 2011) ISBN 088082252X
- “The Mowbray Connection: An Analysis of the Genealogical Evolution of British, American and Continental Nobilities, Gentries, and Upper Classes Since the End of the Middle Ages,” 23 vols., at NEHGS, New York Public Library, and the Society of Genealogists, London; 20+ manuscript pamphlets on notable descendants of various of his own ancestors (Howlands, Lathrops, Dwights, Stanleys, etc.), plus John Alden and Richard Warren. Parts of "The Mowbray Connection" are being prepared for NewEnglandAncestors.org.
- Roberts, G. B. "The Royal Ancestry of Meghan Markle". © 1996–2017 New England Historic Genealogical Society. Retrieved 7 December 2017.
- Notable Kin
- Royal Descents, Notable Kin, and Printed Sources Archives
- "The Man Who Knew Bush", 2004 movie in which Roberts appears as an authority on the Bush family genealogy.