|Born||1957 (age 62–63)|
|Education||B.S. University of the Witwatersrand|
|Known for||CEO of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
(2010-2018)Co-founder of Spyglass Entertainment
Barber was born to a Jewish family in Johannesburg, South Africa. He was educated at King David School, Linksfield, in Johannesburg. He then received an accounting degree from the University of the Witwatersrand, also in Johannesburg. He later worked as a Chartered Accountant and Certified Public Accountant in South Africa and the United States, both with Price Waterhouse.
In 1982, he won a trip to the Arlington Million horse race in Illinois. In the same year, he moved to the United States, where his brother Cecil had been living since 1979. In the mid-1980s, Barber became a U.S. citizen. In 1998, he and Roger Birnbaum founded Spyglass Entertainment in Los Angeles. His highest-grossing film as producer was The Tourist (2010), which grossed close to US$280 million at the worldwide box office.
In December 2010, Barber became Chief Executive Officer of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM). Under his leadership, MGM together with Eon Productions and Sony Pictures financed the successful James Bond film Skyfall, which grossed US$1,1 billion. MGM then also financed The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012), 21 Jump Street (2012) and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013). MGM then moved forward with remakes of RoboCop and Poltergeist. In March 2018, Barber was ousted from MGM, coming five months after the renewal of his contract with the studio to 2022; he received a $260M settlement.
Barber is also a Thoroughbred racehorse owner. The Deputy, owned in partnership with Team Valor, won the 2000 running of the Grade II Santa Catalina Stakes and the Grade I Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California. In 2006, Becrux, also owned in partnership with Team Valor, won the Grade I Woodbine Mile at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto, Canada. In 2014, his filly Lexie Lou won the Queen's Plate and was named the Canadian Horse of the Year. His horse War of Will won the 2019 Preakness Stakes.
Filmography as a producer
|1988||The Unholy||special thanks|
|Midnight Crossing||executive producer|
|1990||Howling V: The Rebirth||executive producer|
|Young Guns II||executive producer|
|Pacific Heights||executive producer|
|1991||Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves||executive producer|
|White Sands||executive producer|
|Stay Tuned||executive producer|
|1993||The Crush||executive producer|
|1994||Ace Ventura: Pet Detective||executive producer|
|Major League II||executive producer|
|Trial by Jury||executive producer|
|Imaginary Crimes||executive producer|
|Silent Fall||executive producer|
|1995||Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls||executive producer|
|1996||Two If by Sea||executive producer|
|Big Bully||executive producer|
|Bad Moon||executive producer|
|1997||Wild America||executive producer|
|1998||Major League: Back to the Minors||executive producer|
|Wrongfully Accused||executive producer|
|1999||The King and I||executive producer|
|2000||Keeping the Faith||executive producer|
|Shanghai Noon||executive producer|
|2001||Out Cold||executive producer|
|2002||The Count of Monte Cristo||producer|
|Reign of Fire||producer|
|2003||Criminology 101||executive producer|
|Bruce Almighty||executive producer|
|One Love||executive producer|
|2004||Connie and Carla||producer|
|The Ranch||executive producer|
|The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy||producer|
|The Legend of Zorro||executive producer|
|Memoirs of a Geisha||executive producer|
|2006||Eight Below||executive producer|
|Stay Alive||executive producer|
|Stick It||executive producer|
|Balls of Fury||producer|
|Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins||executive producer|
|The Ruins||executive producer|
|The Happening||executive producer|
|The Love Guru||executive producer|
|Ghost Town||executive producer|
|Flash of Genius||producer|
|2009||G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra||executive producer|
|Dinner for Schmucks||executive producer|
|2011||No Strings Attached||executive producer|
|2013||G.I. Joe: Retaliation||executive producer|
- mgm.com Gary Barber: Chairman and Chief Executive Officer bei mgm.comm; retrieved, 14 January 2014.
- Portland Press Herald: "A ‘Ben-Hur’ for our time" by Steven Zeitchik August 21, 2016 | Downey and Burnett are staunch Catholics; Ridley is also a devout Christian, Huston and Bekmambetov, who was raised in a communist country, are more secular; Daniel and MGM principal Gary Barber are Jewish
- Del Mar Thoroughbred Club Owner Profiles — 2013 Archived 2014-01-16 at the Wayback Machine, dmtc.com, 14 January 2014.
- Gary Barber, Roger Birnbaum, Kevin Tsujihara, kentuckyderby.com, 14 January 2014.
- Gary Barber bei arlingtonpark.com; retrieved, 14 January 2014.
- "The Tourist (2010)". Box Office Mojo. March 10, 2011. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "MGM Looks Ahead with 'Mr. Mom', 'Idolmaker'", Variety, February 17, 2011
- MGM Finally Comes Back from the Dead with Five Projects including Remakes of "RoboCop" and "Poltergeist", Collider.com, February 18, 2011.
- MGM Shakeup: Gary Barber Out as CEO, variety.com, Mar 19, 2018.
- Big $260M Payout For MGM’s Former Chairman/CEO Gary Barber In Official Resolution With Company, deadline.com, June 14, 2018.
- "Owner Statistics: Gary Barber". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- Shinar, Jack. "Lexie Lou Adapts to Turf in Wonder Where Win". bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- Crosby, Claire (May 18, 2019). "War of Will Punches Back With Preakness Win". bloodhorse.com. Retrieved May 18, 2019.