Gartner's duct cyst
A Gartner's duct cyst (sometimes incorrectly referred to as vaginal inclusion cyst) is a benign vaginal cyst that originates from the Gartner's duct, which is a vestigial remnant of the mesonephric duct (wolffian duct) in females. They are typically small asymptomatic cysts that occur along the lateral walls of the vagina, following the course of the duct. They can present in adolescence with painful menstruation (dysmenorrhea) or difficulty inserting a tampon. They can also enlarge to substantial proportions and be mistaken for urethral diverticulum or cystocele. In some rare instances, they can be congenital.
|Gartner's duct cyst|
|Gross pathology of Gartner's duct cyst|
|Classification and external resources|
There is a small association between Gartner's duct cysts and metanephric urinary anomalies, such as ectopic ureter and ipsilateral renal hypoplasia. Symptoms of a Gartner's duct cyst include: infections, bladder dysfunction, abdominal pain, vaginal discharge, and urinary incontinence.
- Hoogendam JP, Smink M (April 2017). "Gartner's Duct Cyst". The New England Journal of Medicine. 376 (14): e27. doi:10.1056/NEJMicm1609983. PMID 28379795.
- Tiwari C, Shah H, Desale J, Waghmare M (2017). "Neonatal Gartner Duct Cyst: Two Case Reports and Literature Review". Developmental Period Medicine. 21 (1): 35–37. PMID 28551690.
- Eilber KS, Raz S (September 2003). "Benign cystic lesions of the vagina: a literature review". The Journal of Urology. 170 (3): 717–22. doi:10.1097/01.ju.0000062543.99821.a2. PMID 12913681.
- Arumugam A, Kumar G, Si L, Vijayananthan A (October 2007). "Gartner duct cyst in pregnancy presenting as a prolapsing pelvic mass". Biomedical Imaging and Intervention Journal. 3 (4): e46. doi:10.2349/biij.3.4.e46. PMC 3097688. PMID 21614298.
- Currarino G (1982). "Single vaginal ectopic ureter and Gartner's duct cyst with ipsilateral renal hypoplasia and dysplasia (or agenesis)". Journal of Urology. 128: 988.
- Rios, Salete S.; Pereira, Lara Cristina R.; Santos, Carla B.; Chen, Ana Carolina R.; Chen, Juliana R.; Vogt, Maria de Fátima B. (2016-06-02). "Conservative treatment and follow-up of vaginal Gartner's duct cysts: a case series". Journal of Medical Case Reports. 10: 147. doi:10.1186/s13256-016-0936-1. ISSN 1752-1947.