Gare de Calais-Ville
Gare de Calais-Ville
Lille to Fontinettes railway
Anvin-Calais railway (closed)
Gare de Ville opened in 1849, replacing the temporary St. Pierre station which had opened in 1846 and subsequently became the site of a marshalling yard. It was rebuilt in 1888-89. In 1900, the metre gauge Chemin de Fer d'Anvin à Calais (CF AC) was extended from St. Pierre to Calais-Ville, enabling the closure of St. Pierre.
In the Second World War, Calais-Ville station had been severely damaged in 1940 during the Battle of France, and further damaged in 1944 when Calais was liberated by Allied forces. The remaining station buildings were demolished and temporary buildings erected to serve until the station was rebuilt. The CF AC closed on 1 March 1955. Calais-Ville station was subsequently rebuilt.
It is the principal station for commuter and short distance rail services in Calais. Another station Calais-Fréthun, which is where longer distance services depart from, is connected by a free shuttle bus service (to meet with services to Paris). There is a third smaller station at Gare des Fontinettes.
There is a shuttle service bus from the Port of Calais to the station.
The station is served by the following services:
- High speed services (TGV) Paris - Lille - Calais
As of July 2011[update] the typical weekday service pattern is
- 3-5 tpd (trains per day) to Dunkirk (TER line 3)
- 11 tpd to Calais-Frethun and Boulogne (TER line 2), some continuing to Gare d'Étaples-Le Touquet, Rang-du-Fliers-Verton and Amiens
- 40 tpd to St Omer, of which 34 continue to Hazebrouck and 17 of these on to Gare de Lille Flandres
It was formerly served by the Chemin de Fer d'Anvin à Calais between 1900 and 1955.
Railways in Calais
- Farebrother & Farebrother 2008, pp. 25, 49.
- Farebrother & Farebrother 2008, p. 25.
- Farebrother & Farebrother 2008, p. 31.
- Farebrother & Farebrother 2008, p. 37.
- Farebrother & Farebrother 2008, p. 265.
- Farebrother & Farebrother 2008, p. 281.
- SNCF Timetable
- Yahoo Travel Archived 2009-12-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Dunkerque-Calais timetable (in French)
- Paris-Amiens-Calais-Hazebrouck-Lille timetable (in French)
- Timetables TER Nord-Pas-de-Calais (in French)