GWR 5205 Class
|GWR 5205 Class|
5205 Class locomotive at Swindon Works fresh from repair
They were designed for short-haul coal trips from coal mines to ports in South Wales. They were based on the 4200 Class which had been introduced by the Great Western Railway in 1910. The 5205 series were of the same general design and 70 of the 5205 class were built, 5205-5274. They retained the straight frames of the 4200s, but had outside steam pipes and 19" diameter cylinders so were slightly more powerful than their predecessors.
Twenty more locomotives to the same general design were built from 1930. This series had curved frames at the front with a raised section of frame over cylinders which were of the same size as the 5205 series. These were 5275 to 5294. These were all rebuilt as 7200 Class in 1934 without seeing significant use. Ten more, 5255-5264 were built in 1940, reusing numbers from 5205 class members which had also been rebuilt as 7200 Class.
Three examples of the 5205 class have been preserved with one of them 5224 having run in preservation. No members of the 5275 class have been preserved in their original form, but two survive in rebuilt form in the 7200 class.
|5224||1924||1963||Peak Rail||Under Restoration||Left Woodham Brothers, Barry Island in October 1978. Now owned by Pete Waterman, under overhaul at Peak Rail, Derbyshire. Has a 5275 style front end, curved foot plate and a raised section over the cylinders.|
|5227||1924||1962||Didcot Railway Centre.||Scrapyard condition||One of the "Barry Ten". Axleboxes being used as part of the 4709 project. Retains straight frames.|
|5239||1924||1963||Dartmouth Steam Railway||Stored awaiting overhaul||Left Barry Island in June 1973. Has 5275 front end, curved foot plate and a raised section over the cylinders.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to GWR 5205 Class.|
- le Fleming, H.M. (February 1962). White, D.E., ed. The Locomotives of the Great Western Railway, part nine: Standard Two-Cylinder Classes. RCTS. p. J38-J42.
- "Didcot Railway Centre : Centre Guide: Locomotives : 5227". Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Dartmouth Steam Railway & River Boat Company : Our Locomotives". Archived from the original on 2 December 2013. Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "The Story of Barry Scrapyard - Saved GWR Locomotives". Retrieved 23 November 2013.
- "Model Rail Database". Model Rail Database. Retrieved 13 September 2015.