GTE Northwest Classic
The GTE Northwest Classic was a professional golf tournament in the Seattle area on the Senior PGA Tour. Played for ten seasons, from 1986 through 1995, its inaugural event was at Sahalee Country Club (now in Sammamish) and the last nine were at Inglewood Golf Club in Kenmore. The title sponsor was GTE Northwest, a local telephone operating company headquartered in Everett.
|Location||Kenmore, Washington, U.S.|
|Course(s)||Inglewood Golf Club|
|Length||6,440 yards (5,889 m)|
|Tour(s)||Senior PGA Tour|
|Format||Stroke play - 54 holes|
|Tournament record score|
|Aggregate||198 Mike Hill (1991)|
|To par||–18 as above|
Bruce Crampton was the only multiple winner, with victories at both venues; the only playoff was in 1994, won by Simon Hobday with a birdie on the third extra hole to defeat Jim Albus. The purse for the final edition in 1995 was $600,000, with a winner's share of $90,000, which was at the low end of the scale. The sponsors opted not to renew for 1996 and the event was discontinued.
|1995||Sep 8–10||Walter Morgan||68-68-67=203||−13||3 strokes||600,000||90,000|
|1994||Sep 2–4||Simon Hobday||70-69-70=209||−7||Playoff||550,000||82,500|
|1993||Aug 20–22||Dave Stockton||65-68-67=200||−16||4 strokes||500,000||75,000|
|1992||Aug 21–23||Mike Joyce||70-70-64=204||−12||2 strokes||450,000||67,500|
|1991||Aug 16–18||Mike Hill||68-66-64=198||−18||2 strokes||400,000||60,000|
|1990||Aug 24–26||George Archer||69-66-70=205||−11||2 strokes||350,000||52,500|
|1989||Aug 18–20||Al Geiberger||68-68-68=204||−12||3 strokes||350,000||52,500|
|1988||Jul 8–10||Bruce Crampton (2)||69-68-70=207||−9||1 stroke||300,000||45,000|
|1987||Aug 21–23||Chi-Chi Rodríguez||70-68-68=206||−10||1 stroke||300,000||45,000|
|1986||Aug 15–17||Bruce Crampton||67-71-72=210||−6||2 strokes||250,000||37,500|
Note: Green highlight indicates scoring records.
- Only the first edition in 1986 was held at Sahalee Country Club, set at 6,696 yards (6,123 m) and par 72.
- "GTE Northwest victory Morgan's first as senior". Boca Raton News. Florida. September 11, 1995. p. 2B.
- "Bruce Crampton edges January for GTE seniors championship". Gainesville Sun. Florida. Associated Press. August 18, 1986. p. 3B.
- "Hobday wins Classic". Eugene Register-Guard. Associated Press. September 5, 1994. p. 5B.
- "GTE Northwest Classic". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. Associated Press. September 11, 1995. p. D6.
- Raley, Dan (April 13, 2004). "Senior golf stars returning to Seattle". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Retrieved June 20, 2016.
- "2009 Champions Tour Official Media Guide". PGA Tour. p. 5:24–42.
- Tournament results (1990-1995) at GolfObserver.com
- Inglewood Golf Club – official site
- Sahalee Country Club – official site
|This article on an American golf tournament is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to sports in Washington state is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|