GM 4L80-E transmission
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The 4L80-E (and similar 4L85-E) was a series of heavy-duty automatic transmissions from General Motors designed for longitudinal engine configurations. The 4L80-E was heavily based on the Turbo-Hydramatic 400 first produced in October 1963, adding electronic controls and an overdriven fourth gear. 4L80-Es were optioned only in Chevrolet/GMC pickups, Suburban 2500s, vans, and commercial vehicles, and the Hummer H1. It was also adopted by Rolls-Royce in 1991 and modified after extensive testing, and used initially in the Bentley Continental R, and subsequently other Rolls-Royce and Bentley vehicles. The 4L80E and 4L85E were built at Willow Run Transmission in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
|Body and chassis|
|Class||4-speed longitudinal automatic transmission|
The 4L80-E uses 2 shift solenoids, initially called Shift Solenoid A & Shift Solenoid B, later changed to comply with OBD II (On Board Diagnostics revision 2) regulations to 1-2 Shift Solenoid & 2-3 Shift solenoid. By activating and deactivating the solenoids in a predetermined pattern by the PCM, 4 distinct gear ratios can be achieved. The shift solenoid pattern, also sometimes referred to as solenoid firing order, is as follows;
Shift Solenoid PatternEdit
|1-2 Solenoid||2-3 Solenoid|
No power results in 2nd Gear as 'Limp home mode'.
- 1991–2013 Chevrolet C/K/Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra V8
- 1991–2013 Chevrolet/GMC Suburban/GMC Yukon
- 1995–2003 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon
- 1991–2009 Chevrolet Van/Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana
- 2002–2006 Chevrolet Avalanche V8 8.1L
- 1992-2006 Hummer H1
- 1992–1998 Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit/Spur II, III, IV
- 1991–1992 Bentley Eight
- 1991–1997 Bentley Turbo R
- 1991–2002 Bentley Continental R/S/T
- 1999–2006 Bentley Arnage Red Label / Bentley Arnage R/RL/T
- 1993–1996 Jaguar XJS
- 1994–1997 Jaguar XJR
- 1993–1997 Jaguar XJ12 / Daimler Double Six
- 1996–1999 Aston Martin DB7
- 2000- 2006 Chevrolet HD trucks
The 4L85-E (RPO MN8) is rated to handle vehicles with up to 690 ft·lbf (935 N·m) of torque  . The 4L85E is rated to handle vehicles with a GVWR of up to 18,000 lbs (dependent on axle ratio and vehicle)
- Adcock, Ian (1992). Bentley Continental R. London: Osprey Publishing. p. 113. ISBN 185532 260 9.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-22. Retrieved December 22, 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- GM Powertrain. "07 Hydramatic 4L series". General Motors. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- GM powertrain. "07 Hydramatic 4L Series Specs". General Motors. Retrieved January 5, 2014.