Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology
The Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology (Urdu: غلام اسحاق خان انسٹیٹیوٹ; commonly referred as GIK), is a private research university located in Topi, Swabi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. GIK has eight academic faculties which strongly emphasize on science and engineering. Its 400 acres (1.6 km2) campus is located in the vicinity of Swabi district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan.
غلام اسحاق خان انسٹیٹیوٹ
Motto in English
|رَبِّ زدْنيِ عِلْماً (Arabic) |
O my Lord! Advance me in Knowledge
|Chancellor||President of Pakistan|
|Affiliations||HEC, PEC, WA|
Founded by civil servant and former President Ghulam Ishaq Khan in 1993, since its establishment, the institute has consistently attracted the country's most influential scientists such as Abdul Qadeer Khan, Asghar Qadir, and Shaukat Hameed Khan , who played a formulating role in elevating the institute as one of world's finest science and engineering college. GIK is one of the top institutions ranked by the HEC.
The GIK Institute is a private educational institution, named after former bureaucrat and former President of Pakistan Ghulam Ishaq Khan. The project was delegated to Pakistani scientist, Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, who was one of the founding members of the institute and was once registered as an associate professor of physics. In 1988 the parent body of the GIK Institute, the Society for the Promotion of Engineering Sciences and Technology in Pakistan (SOPREST), was registered under the "Societies Act". Mr. Ghulam Ishaq Khan, while President of Pakistan, was elected President for life And Mr. H. U. Beg was appointed its Honorary Executive Director.  In March 1993 an "Ordinance" was promulgated by the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (Provincial) Government for the establishment of the Institute under the umbrella of SOPREST, and the first batch of students was inducted the same year in October. Since an Ordinance has a limited life, it was ratified through an "Act" by the Provincial Assembly in July 1994.
Major founding donors include Nouman Benevolent Community Care, Infaq Foundation, Chiniot Anjuman-e-Islamia, Dawood Group of Industries, and the Government of the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa which has donated land at Topi.
The university is situated beside the river Indus in the mountains of Tarbela and Gadoon-Amazai, in the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa near the town of Topi and in proximity to the lakes of Tarbela Dam (world's largest earth-filled dam) and Ghazi. Its campus is in the mountains of Tarbela and Gadoon-Amazai, and is a residential campus with accommodation for students.
GIK Institute Clock Tower
|Type||Time, Monument, other|
|Location||Topi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan|
Clock Tower, (Landmark of Ghulam Ishaq Khan, aka LOGIK in short), is located in Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology, Topi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. It is the tallest structure in the area visible for many miles, and it provides a view of Tarbela Dam and the surrounding areas of Topi.
Admission to the university is based on the entry test. The test has MCQs of Physics, Mathematics and English. Eligibility criteria for admission to the university is at least 60% marks in physics and mathematics in FSc or Grade C in A levels. Entry test for the university is very competitive as large number of prospective students compete for a limited number of seats.
Faculties and DepartmentsEdit
Faculty of Engineering SciencesEdit
The Faculty offers a 4-year degree program leading to Bachelor of Science in Engineering Sciences which encompasses some of the modern fields of engineering such as:
- Lasers and Electro-Optics
- Semiconductors and Superconducting Devices
- Modelling and Simulations
The faculty also offers MS and PHD degree programs in applied mathematics and applied physics.
Faculty of Computer Science and Electrical EngineeringEdit
The Faculty offers courses leading to Bachelor's (BS) in computer engineering and computer science. It also offers Master's (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Degrees in Computer System Engineering.
It offers four year BS degree program in Electrical Engineering with following specializations:
- Electronic Engineering
- Power Engineering
- Communication and Digital Signal Processing
- Microelectronics and Asic Design
- Electric Power and Control Systems
Faculty of Mechanical EngineeringEdit
Faculty of Materials and Chemical EngineeringEdit
The Faculty offers a 4-year bachelor's degree licensed by the PEC detailing basic principles & mathematics of process operations in the first two years. Third & final year deal with the advanced level of the trade closely selected to cope the industrial requirements.
The Faculty also offers 4 year BS program in Materials Engineering and chemical engineering which deals with a broad understanding of materials, chemical processing and the manufacturing of components. It offers following streams:
- Specialization in Materials
- Specialization in Manufacturing
- Specialization in Nanotechnology
- Minor in mining 
Faculty of Management Sciences and HumanitiesEdit
Degree program at undergraduate level has started from 2013. This Faculty offers 4 year BS Management Science degree with specialization in:
- Supply Management
International Advisory BoardEdit
The advisory board consists of scientists, engineers and academicians who are monitoring the institute's standard of education and research. It comprises faculty members from Kansas State University, Kyoto University, McGill University, University of Florida, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign and other institutions.
Labs and FacilitiesEdit
High Performance Computing ClusterEdit
HPC platform has been donated to GIK Institute by Directorate of Science and Technology (DoST) KPK Pakistan. It is a compute intensive platform and has the following hardware components:
- Front Node: Dell R815 with 64 CPU cores, 256GB RAM, 1.8TB Secondary Memory
- 3 Compute Nodes: Dell R175 each with 32 CPU cores/ compute node (96 in total), 128GB RAM/ compute node (384GB in total), 600GB Secondary Memory/ compute node (1.8TB in total)
- NVIDIA Tesla M2090 Graphical an emerging paradigm of parallel computing which uses GPUs as computing units
- Dell Power Connect 8024F layer-3 manageable switch: Front Node and the Compute Nodes are connected to each other using this switch.
Agha Hasan Abedi (AHA) AuditoriumEdit
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Agha Hasan Abedi (AHA) Auditorium is named after Agha Hasan Abedi.
GIK Institute established its own startup Incubator in 2014. With aim to motivate entrepreneurial skills among the students. Incubator will provide facilities and technical assistance, working space and other services to incubate the startup initiatives by the participants. It will also help them get venture capitalists to convert their fledgling startups into mature ones.
GIK incubator got a funding of Rupees 10 cores (100 million) from Directorate of Science and Technology, Ministry of ST & IT, Govt of Khyber Pakhtunkhuwa. The grant is given in order to develop Entrepreneurship via Establishment and Strengthening of Technology Incubation center.
- Professional societies: each faculty in the institute supports a professional organization, devoted to advancing theory and practice of their fields.
- Non-professional societies: these societies are created for non-technical purposes and do not represent any particular faculty.
- LDS – Literary and Debating Society
- LES - The Leadership and Entrepreneurship Society
- The GIK WebTeam
- ACM – Association for Computing Machinery
- AIAA – American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- ASHRAE – American Society of Heat Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineer
- ASM/TMS – The Mineral, Metal & Material Society / American Society for Materials
- ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- CDES – Cultural Dramatics and Entertainment Society
- GSS – GIK Sports Society
- GMS – GIK Mathematics Society
- GSS – Graduate Students Society
- IET Institute of Engineering and Technology – GIK Students Chapter
- IEEE – GIK Chapter
- IEEE – Women In Engineering (WIE) GIK Chapter
- MediaClub Most exclusive society in GIKI. It cover almost all the events. Every single year movies are released which highlights the societal problems. Media has played a crucial role in collaboration with other media houses in development of Media role. There is a Volunteer call every year for Freshman. 
- NAQSH Arts Society
- NETRONiX – Society of student administrators maintaining GIK's local area network
- Project Topi
- GIK Science Society
- Scribes – Writing Team
- SMEP – Society of Mechanical Engineers of Pakistanwebsite
- SOPHEP – Society for the Promotion of Higher Education Pakistan
- SPIE – Society for Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineerswebsite[permanent dead link]
- WES – Women Engineers Society
- List of engineering universities in Pakistan
- Project topi
- List of accidents and incidents involving military aircraft (2000–09)#2008 – for the aircraft crash at campus.
- WebTeam, The GIKI. "Campus". GIK Institute. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- WebTeam, The GIKI. "About GIK". GIK Institute. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "HEC releases the rankings". TEX. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- HEC Ranking. "HEC Ranking". HEC Ranking. Archived from the original on 13 November 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "On institutions – Dr A Q Khan". Thenews.com.pk. 7 February 2011. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- GIK Website
- "Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology – Campus". Giki.edu.pk. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- "GIKI Campus Buildings". GIKI. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- Muhammad Ali Piracha (29 February 2008). "Raja Jahanzeb -- a legend". Jang News. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "GIKI Entry Test Format – A Snapshot". Pakprep.com. 29 April 2014. Retrieved 10 April 2015.
- "Faculty of Engineering Sciences". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Faculty of Computer Sciences and Engineering". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Faculty of Material Sciences and Engineering". The GIKI WebTeam. Archived from the original on 26 January 2013.
- WebTeam, GIKI. "GIKI IT Facilities". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- WebTeam, The GIKI. "The-Incubator". GIK Institute. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "GIKI Gets 100 Million from KP Govt for Entrepreneurship Development". Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "'The INCUBATOR' of GIKI receives Rs. 100 million grant from KPK Government | The News Teller". www.thenewsteller.com. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- WebTeam, GIKI. "The GIKI WebTeam". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "About GIKI – GIK Institute". giki.edu.pk. Retrieved 5 March 2012.
- Asif Khan (29 March 2012). "The Cultural Dramatics & Entertainment Society is geared up for its 14th All Pakistan Performing Arts". The News International. Archived from the original on 2 April 2012.
- "NAQSH all Pakistan Art Festival At GIKI | Xnews – GIKI". 11 October 2010. Archived from the original on 7 April 2012. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "UGX 2010: Biggest Gaming Event in GIKI | Xnews – GIKI". 30 November 2010. Archived from the original on 7 April 2012. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "Career building seminar held at GIKI | Pakistan Today | Latest news, Breaking news, Pakistan News, World news, business, sport and multimedia". Pakistan Today. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "Advancement: GIKI holds education expo – The Express Tribune". Tribune.com.pk. 26 February 2011. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "A Tribute to Raja Jahanzeb – A Legend (Youth Magazine)". Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2014.