Günter M. Ziegler
Günter Matthias Ziegler (born 19 May 1963) is a German mathematician and president of the Free University of Berlin. Ziegler is known for his research in discrete mathematics and geometry, and particularly on the combinatorics of polytopes.
Günter Matthias Ziegler
Günter M. Ziegler, 2006
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Known for||work on polytopes, topological combinatorics|
|Awards||Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize (2001)|
Chauvenet Prize (2006)
Leroy P. Steele Prize (2018)
|Institutions||Free University of Berlin|
|Doctoral advisor||Anders Björner|
|Doctoral students||Karim Adiprasito|
Ziegler studied at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich from 1981 to 1984, and went on to receive his Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1987, under the supervision of Anders Björner. After postdoctoral positions at the University of Augsburg and the Mittag-Leffler Institute, he received his habilitation in 1992 from the Technical University of Berlin, which he joined as a professor in 1995. Ziegler has since joined the faculty of the Free University of Berlin.
Awards and honorsEdit
Ziegler was awarded the one million Deutschmark Gerhard Hess Prize by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) in 1994 and the 1.5 million Deutschmark Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize, Germany's highest research honor, by the DFG in 2001. He was awarded the 2005 Gauss Lectureship by the German Mathematical Society. In 2006 the Mathematical Association of America awarded Ziegler and Florian Pfender its highest honor for mathematical exposition, the Chauvenet Prize, for their paper on kissing numbers.
In 2006 he became president for a two-year term of the German Mathematical Society. In 2009, the European Research Council (ERC) awarded Ziegler one of the ERC Advanced Grants in the amount of 1.85 million Euros. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society. In 2013 Ziegler was granted the Hector Science Award and became a member of the Hector Fellow Academy. Since July 2016 Ziegler is chair of the Berlin Mathematical School. In 2018 he received the Leroy P. Steele Prize for Mathematical Exposition (jointly with Martin Aigner).
- Proofs from THE BOOK, Springer, Berlin, 1998, ISBN 3-540-63698-6
- Ziegler, Günter M. (1995), Lectures on Polytopes, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, 152, Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Björner, Anders; Ziegler, Günter M. (1992). "8 Introduction to greedoids". In White, Neil. Matroid Applications. Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications. 40. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 284–357. doi:10.1017/CBO9780511662041.009. ISBN 0-521-38165-7. MR 1165537.
- "Mathematics People" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society: 511–513, May 2001
- January 2006 prizes and awards, American Mathematical Society.
- DFG web page listing Ziegler as the Leibniz prize recipient.
- Pfender, Florian; Ziegler, Günter M. (September 2004), "Kissing numbers, sphere packings, and some unexpected proofs" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society: 873–883.
- EU-Grant for BMS Professor Günter M. Ziegler
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Hector Science Award ceremony
- Founding ceremony of the Hector Fellow Academy Archived 2015-11-19 at the Wayback Machine.
- Leroy P. Steele Prize for Mathematical Exposition