Futuremark Oy was a Finnish software development company that produced computer benchmark applications for home, business, and press use. Futuremark was acquired by UL on 31 October 2014, and was formally merged into the company on 23 April 2018.
|Fate||Acquired and rebranded|
|Defunct||23 April 2018|
|Products||Computer benchmark applications|
Prior to Futuremark, the founding team developed Final Reality, a benchmarking tool, at Remedy Entertainment, in cooperation with VNU European Labs. Following the tool's release, Futuremark was founded in Espoo in November 1997 and formally launched on 27 February 1998.
The 3DMark series has been the company's most popular and successful to date.
Futuremark's applications are distributed via the Internet as well as offline media. In addition to its benchmarking software, the company has also provided services such as IHV/ISV customised benchmarks, 3D demos as well as online and data services.
In January 2008, Futuremark announced the formation of the Futuremark Games Studio. In August 2008, at the Leipzig Games Convention, Futuremark Games Studio announced details of its first game, Shattered Horizon.
In December 2009, Futuremark's mobile and embedded business unit was spun off and renamed Rightware.
In March 2012, Futuremark sold its game development division to Rovio Entertainment (developer of the Angry Birds franchise) for an undisclosed sum. The sale was intended to allow the company to focus on its benchmarking software.
On 23 April 2018, Futuremark was rebranded as UL Benchmarks. The Futuremark website was closed, and its content was moved to a new UL Benchmarks website. Despite the acquisition and rebranding, UL Benchmarks retains its headquarters and R&D operations in Espoo, Finland.
Smartphone and tablet benchmarksEdit
- PCMark for Android
- Peacekeeper, web browser benchmark
- XL-R8R, based on 3DMark2000
- Video2000, video performance benchmark
- "UL Signals Strategic Expansion into Performance Benchmarking Services with Futuremark Acquisition | UL". UL. 3 November 2014. Archived from the original on 30 January 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "'Futuremark' Is No More; Benchmark Maker Adopts Parent Company's 'UL' Branding". Tom's Hardware. 23 April 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Futuremark press release Nov 9th 1999". Archived from the original on 22 March 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- "MadOnion press release Dec 11th 2002". Archived from the original on 22 March 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- "Futuremark press release Mar 7th 2007". Archived from the original on 17 July 2011. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- "Futuremark press release Jan 29th 2008". Archived from the original on 20 March 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- "Futuremark press release Aug 19th 2008". Archived from the original on 20 March 2012. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- Angry Birds creator acquires games developer Archived 14 June 2013 at the Wayback Machine, visited 3 April 2012
- Ratcliffe, Chris (27 March 2012). ""Angry Birds" creator adds Futuremark Game Studio's team to fleet of talent". Bloomberg. Archived from the original on 12 August 2012. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Hartley, Darleen (3 November 2014). "Futuremark Acquired by Underwriters Laboratories". Bright Side of News. Archived from the original on 5 November 2014.
- "About us". UL Benchmarks. Archived from the original on 23 December 2018. Retrieved 9 January 2019.