This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)
Funky house is a subgenre of house music that uses disco and funk samples, a funk-inspired bass line or a strong soul influence, combined with drum breaks that draw inspiration from 1970s and 1980s funk records. The use of disco strings are also common in the genre, although not always. Funky house uses specific techniques and specific sound, characterized by bassline, swooshes, swirls and other synthesized sounds which give the music a bouncy tempo with around 128 BPM.
|Cultural origins||Late 1980s, US|
|Derivative forms||UK funky|
It was particularly successful in the early and mid 2000s (decade).
With the renewed interest in funk and disco in early 2010s, funky house genre is often being misused. The contemporary musicians are producing house music, based on funk and disco samples, but song's structure and characteristics are remains to be from the plain house. Such music is usually referred to as funk-house, which is a development of the parent genre, and is not related to the funky house.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2020-01-22. Retrieved 2019-03-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "KZ - www.iamthekz.com". 2013-06-08. Archived from the original on 2013-06-08. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
- Ayres, Dana (2014). The Historical Seeds and Worldwide Dissemination of House Music. p. 28.
- Ministry of Sound Funky House Sessions Compilation
- Hed Kandi Classic Funky House Compilation
- "Mastercuts: Funky House - Various Artists - Songs, Reviews, Credits - AllMusic". Archived from the original on 2012-12-31. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- "Beatport launches nu disco / indie dance genre page" (Press release). Beatport. 2008-07-30. Archived from the original on 2008-08-07. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
Beatport is launching a new landing page, dedicated solely to the genres of "nu disco" and "indie dance". ... Nu Disco is everything that springs from the late ′70s and early ′80s (electronic) disco, boogie, cosmic, Balearic and Italo disco continuum...
- Birchmeier, Jason. "Funky House Classics - Various Artists Review by Allmusic". Allmusic. AllMusic. Archived from the original on 26 January 2019. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "Sample This! 10 house tracks inspired by all things funk, soul and disco". The Noise Gate. Archived from the original on 26 January 2019. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "Kaytranada gives Gorillaz's Strobelite a subtle funk groove in his newest remix". PILERATS. Archived from the original on 2019-03-06. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
- Kinsella, Will. "He's Electric: Will Kinsella rounds up the latest Irish releases". Hotpress. Archived from the original on 2019-03-06. Retrieved 2019-03-06.