Pen and Sword Books
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pen and Sword Books is a British publisher which specializes in printing and distributing books on military history, militaria and other niche subjects. It is part of the Barnsley Chronicle newspaper group.
|Parent company||Barnsley Chronicle|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Headquarters location||Barnsley, South Yorkshire|
Casemate Publishers (US)
|Publication types||Books, magazines|
|Nonfiction topics||Military history, naval and maritime history, aviation, local history, family history, collectables and antiques, nostalgia and true crime|
|Imprints||Air World, Frontline Books, Green Bean Books, Seaforth Publishing, White Owl|
The first books produced by the company were in response to public demand, following a series of articles first published weekly in the Barnsley Chronicle. Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks told the story of crash sites in the Dark Peak National Park and a further weekly feature on the history of two Kitchener battalions, known as the Barnsley Pals, aroused a public interest. Over the years these books have been reprinted a number of times.
Following on from the success of the Dark Peak and Barnsley Pals books, a number of local history paperbacks were produced along with a series of battlefield guide books. Battleground Europe proved successful and as more titles were produced the company made the decision to launch a book publishing arm of the group.
When the Leo Cooper imprint became available the Barnsley Chronicle bought it; and the Pen and Sword publishing house was established in 1990. Leo Cooper (25 March 1934 – 29 November 2013), the husband of novelist Jilly Cooper, had established a reputation for publishing military history titles. Leo Cooper later retired.
Pen and Sword also covers naval and maritime history, aviation, local history, family history, collectables and antiques, nostalgia and true crime.
- Aviation Heritage Trail—stories, history and events behind famous aviation operations
- Battlegrounds—Over 100 illustrated battleground guide books from periods including 1066, Wars of the Roses, the English Civil War, Napoleonic, Zulu War, The Boer War, World War I to World War II
- Holt's Guidebooks—Overview general information books with maps, memorials, battleground descriptions and tourist-focused summaries covering varied campaigns from World War I and World War II
- Pals—narratives documenting the lives of friends, comrades and pals who joined together in the same Battalions to serve King and Country during the Great War
- Classics—books covering military operations and stories from many different periods throughout history
- Warships of the Royal Navy—stories behind famous Royal Navy ships from the Napoleonic Wars to contemporary military conflicts
- Images of War—photographs from wartime archives with detailed captions and references
- Shot in the Tower: The Story of the Spies Executed in the Tower of London During the First World War 
- "Pen and Sword | Casemate Publishers". Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "Prelude Books". Retrieved 2018-02-12.
- Obituary: Leo Cooper, telegraph.co.uk, 2 December 2013.
- "Shot in the Tower: The Story of the Spies Executed in the Tower of London During the First World War: Amazon.co.uk: Leonard Sellers: Books". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-03-08.